Mitsubishi Audio Wiring with Pioneer HU

Xiaogary

Neutral Newbie

My friend driving a 1998 Mitsubishi Pajero Mini had a old Pioneer DEH 1080 SDP installed. Recently the player stop responding, no power at all. He went to an audio shop for diagnosis, the shop say his old HU is spoilt and asked him to purchase a new HU. He paid $20 for the diagnosis. But nothing was done, my friend not sure whether his price is ex, so never buy.

So he bought a new HU, Pioneer DEH 7750 but not from that shop but from my friend's shop reccomended by me at $400 including 1 year warranty.

He asked me to help him install.

I opened up his dash and take a look at the wirings. His black cable(HU) from the old pioneer wiring harness is broken. This is the ground wire for the player. I look around and saw a green wire with white lines (only car's wire not connected), I connect this to the black ground wire of the HU, thinking green/white(car) is the ground wire, it works, the old SDP can work. Its not spoilt, only the ground dropped.

Then I pluck out the old HU's wire harness and use the new wire harness. The reason I never use the same harness is becos the socket is different physically, the shape of the plastic clip, the wires is in the same position though.

I connect the new Pioneer HU's Power cable(yellow), Ignition Cable(red), Ground Cable(black) (to the green/white as above) and the speaker's cables exactly the same as what is connected to the old wiring harness in the pioneer HU (same color code between new and old model).

The only different is the old HU's wiring harness do not have an orange/white cable which is ILLUM. Old HU dont have this don't have this function whereby you can switch on headlight and the HU's display illumination dim. So I left the orange/white cable unconnected and blacked taped. Another unconnected cable is the blue/white cable which is the Remote Turn On, this is unused becos my friend's system do not have amps or preamps.

Then just now my friend sms me say his HU is as normal but his car's speedometer and rpm meter and instrument meter light doesnt turn on. But Headlight and fog light and brake light perform as usual. Only internal dash board light is not on.

Now I suspect the green/white cable (car) is the ILLUM wire which I should connect to the orange/white(HU). I am not sure, so I post here. I do not have a test pen to test the voltages.

I read from other forums and internet search says Mitsubishi car's audio wires do not include Ground wire, normally people tap to some screw or car's body, is it true? Can the mitsubishi owners here clarify?

My friend super blur one, he doesnt even know where is the fuse box inside his car. I wanted him to check the fuse box to see whether the instrument display fuse has fused or whether is really the connection that is wrong. He will be coming to my house later to let me troubleshoot. I hope I can get some confirmation before i connect the green/white(car) to orange/white(HU) and black ground(HU) to screws that I can find inside the dash.

Edited by Xiaogary
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hehe...seems like nobody know the answer.

I found the answer already.

Its a mitsubishi common error.

Solved the wiring already and the set works very well.

I am very impressed with Pioneer 7750. Have very nice graphics, with those 3 X analog meters which dance with the music level, or horizontal bar like meters, even come with voltmeter to say the current battery voltage level, very useful functions.

Silver set with blue dot matrix LCD display...nice.

Edited by Xiaogary

Neutral Newbie

Sort out already. Thanks for pointing that out. I sort it out mineself, dont dare go back the shop, scare he anyhow do again. At least do mineself, can learn something also. And rerun the power cables and RCA cables hiding them more nicely under the carpets.

The Mitsubishi Common Audio installation is people usually mistook the Green/White(car) cable to be ground. And hence connect the HU's black ground wire to it. That is not ground. That is ILLUM wire. The reason why people mistook it for ground is bcos when install during day time, the ILLUM is a 0V (since headlight not on), and thats the last wire left hanging around. Mitsubishi car very funny one, they dont come iwth black ground wire, you have to diy tie it to a screw on the chasis. The Green/White(car) is the ILLUM which you should tie it to the Orange/White (ILLUM on HU) so that when you on the headlight, the HU can be set to dimmer by a level or two to avoid distraction at night when the LCD is too bright in the dark ambience.

whoa bro! i'm impressed with your install skill man...

would you do a DIY install for a token fee? hehehe

btw, where would a shop sell a 7750 for $400 with warranty?

thanks!

Neutral Newbie

I will but not responsible for any damage. Haha...

The 7750 is bought from a fren who works in a car accessory shop. I buy that from back door. If the Pioneer dealer know that he sell so cheap and spoil market, he will lose the dealership.

Anyway a non warranty set cost $370, so pay extra a bit for warranty still reasonable la.