Brake "spongy" feeling

Kopikao

They are not the car owner and hardly spend much time on your car. They listen to what you say and fix it. Hence what the car owner tell the mechanic is important cos ultimately it's the car owner who spend the most time with the car.

this is why i feel its really important to let the mech test drive your car.

some time the problem how the driver describe , the mech also not clear.

until he go test drive it and fell for himself

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thank you guys for the inputs.

I have actually went to service the car at a offical service centre.

They checked for leaks, re bleed the brakes, the engineer went for test drive. The brakes are deemed to be effective.

The position of the brakes biting point went up after the engineer did a re bleed. However 1 mth later it went down. Perhaps i should pose a question is there anything wrong with the master cylinder/ abs.

They checked for leaks, re bleed the brakes, the engineer went for test drive. The brakes are deemed to be effective.

The position of the brakes biting point went up after the engineer did a re bleed. However 1 mth later it went down. Perhaps i should pose a question is there anything wrong with the master cylinder/ abs.

bro @watwheels provided a good piece of advice, go check the master cylinder. Since you have rebleed the system, unless your brake fluid reservior runs low again after 1 month, otherwise it is time to check the master cylinder.

They are not the car owner and hardly spend much time on your car. They listen to what you say and fix it. Hence what the car owner tell the mechanic is important cos ultimately it's the car owner who spend the most time with the car.

This is the marque of a trustworthy and capable workshop imho.

I have full confidence with the workshop I patronize now because of this. The few times I share problems with them, they will do a test drive with me f necessary to feel the problem firsthand.  And after the repair, they will go another round with you to see/feel the difference if it has been solved. I also observe the same procedure repeated with other customers who drive in. 

Twincharged

This is the marque of a trustworthy and capable workshop imho.

I have full confidence with the workshop I patronize now because of this. The few times I share problems with them, they will do a test drive with me f necessary to feel the problem firsthand. And after the repair, they will go another round with you to see/feel the difference if it has been solved.

I also observe the same procedure repeated with other customers who drive in.

Care to share with workshop you patronize ?
  • Praise 1

Care to share with workshop you patronize ?

Chxx Sxxn at Tampines. Can see their business very good as I always reach there about 830am, always got people waiting there already and there are also quite a number of jap cars though it is famous for mercs cars. The mechanics are mostly friendly and will explain to you what parts need to be changed and why by showing you the faulty/worn out parts. Very honest and transparent in doing business. Have definitely learnt useful things from the guys.

Anyone not sure about which workshop can PM me as I do not want to be accused of advertising.

Which centre you went to?

For a moment I thought its Swee Choon :a-confused:

Chxx Sxxn at Tampines. Can see their business very good as I always reach there about 830am, always got people waiting there already and there are also quite a number of jap cars though it is famous for mercs cars. The mechanics are mostly friendly and will explain to you what parts need to be changed and why by showing you the faulty/worn out parts. Very honest and transparent in doing business. Have definitely learnt useful things from the guys.

Anyone not sure about which workshop can PM me as I do not want to be accused of advertising.

Which centre you went to?

Oh i went to ubi BM. The engineer has done his part in explaining on the other hand probably the issue i should bring up is the brakes lowering after 1 month even after him rebleeding the brakes with computers.

I went for second round of bleeding, same situation, the brakes were high after bleeding but after 1 week it is not that sensitive anymore, causing me to depress further to get a better biting point.

Does any owner experienced the same situation? I am curious what could be the issue.

6 minutes ago, Techgod said:

I went for second round of bleeding, same situation, the brakes were high after bleeding but after 1 week it is not that sensitive anymore, causing me to depress further to get a better biting point.

Does any owner experienced the same situation? I am curious what could be the issue.

Probably the water in your brake fluid is too high. Water absorb air lor.  when heated air bubble formed.

How old is your car ?

Or go buy a brake oil tester.  Just bought, have not test it yet....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891855303.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.740636258gk9la&algo_pvid=348ee53b-256f-42bc-b6a0-1996c817ebcf&algo_expid=348ee53b-256f-42bc-b6a0-1996c817ebcf-0&btsid=a9536539-e6c8-49a4-aff9-1824428a4d5b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_53

1 hour ago, Techgod said:

Maybe master cylinder halfway up lorry liao (my mechanic said to me when I komplained brake soft after changing fluid, but I made him bleed again and it was resolved) 

• Praise 1

OK. Tested on my 2+ years car today.  Passed la ....

Not sure how accurate lor.

Or when you depress brake petal, you hear a SSssss sound, then master drum up lorry liao...

Start simple then move up to more expensive stuff.

My case is I have yet to bleed my brake before, so for you case if the reservoir is OK, you may want to test the fluid at the drum.

IMG_20200202_104503.jpg

IMG_20200202_093135.jpg

IMG_20200202_093040.jpg

1 hour ago, Apple-Tree said:

Or when you depress brake petal, you hear a SSssss sound, then master drum up lorry liao...

My case is I have yet to bleed my brake before, so for you case if the reservoir is OK, you may want to test the fluid at the drum.

IMG_20200202_104503.jpg

IMG_20200202_093135.jpg

IMG_20200202_093040.jpg

How accurate is this type of instrument?

59 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

How accurate is this type of instrument?

Not sure. What is sure is that it do not use resistance to determine water lor. I have my finger across probe, no response wor...

Probably operating in the frequency domain like capacitance and the tangent loss determine the water in the fluid ba ....... I need to check.

I dont have spongy brake and the meter said OK lor.  But I do have uneven side wear lor, so need to bleed ba ....

For absolute accuracy use the Reflective Index type lor, hard to operate and need some qty of fuild lor ..... and expensive.

Brake Fluid Tester .

" A simple tool for testing the percentage of water in brake fluid essential for regular safety checks on your brakes.

Colour coded LEDs show level of water.

Green: Battery OK - No water found.

Yellow: Less than 1% water - No action necessary.

Yellow/Yellow: 2% Water found - Check regularly.

Yellow/Yellow/Red: 3% Water found - Change brake fluid.

Yellow/Yellow/Red/Red: 4% Water found - Brake Fluid should be changed immediately.

Suitable for Dot 3, Dot 4, Dot 5.1."

On 2/2/2020 at 11:26 AM, Apple-Tree said:

IMG_20200202_104503.jpg

IMG_20200202_093135.jpg

IMG_20200202_093040.jpg

Dirt cheap tool too. Less than one plate of chicken rice. 

↡ Advertisement