Brake "spongy" feeling

Kopikao

If you have a pre-ABS car with simple straight forward brake system then leg power maybe ok. In fact new designed brake system will bleed best Reverse Pressure Bleeder. Reverse brake bleeder actually pump in fluid from the brake bleeder container up to the reserviour. The idea is based on simple physic, air bubbles alway move upwards and not downwards. So the old practice of trying to pump the fluid to get the air bubbles down to the lowest point in the system -that is the bleed screw is thoeretically wrong.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

you mean car with ABS brakes cannot be bleed this way ?

well i have never tried before. so far i am only speaking from experience from bleed motorcycles brake piston.

how about cars with so-called power-foot, ie you press the brake-pedal a little and the car will press the brakes a lot. so you don't need so much strenght to depress the brake pedal. actually if this system cxxk-up it could be the cause for the "spongy brakes".

Brake pedal force is just not enough, normally the force is multiply by either vaccum power unit or compressed air (common in Heavy trucks). most of the cars use vaccum powered units to assist in developing the right braking force

Edited by Yeobh

actually steel-braided brake hose does not remove the sponginess under normal braking circumstances. but will help in e-brake situations when huge amt of brake force is req'd

air is the most likely cause of the prob. can try the workshops (located at the Caltex station) as listed in yeo's post. these workshops have got vacuum pumps which are effective at removing trapped air bubbles

Very creative!! what you need is a adaptor mount at the end of the bleeding hose.But I afraid air powered unit may generate very strong suction that can be very damaging .I suggest you get hold of a hand operated unit.

Edited by Yeobh

Your posting have been edited by Gad.

No soliciting is allowed.

Should you continue to do so, your account will be terminated.

Edited by Gadgeter

Neutral Newbie

I know this is an old topic, however i am facing the same issue.

After bleeding my brakes, the brakes feel high and by depressing a little the brakes will bite.

However after 1 month, the brakes become low again.

The vehicle has been through bleeding by BM engineer.

Anyone with similar experience can share how did he resolve this issue?

• Praise 1

Try changing to Stainless steel braided hoses.

After bleeding my brakes, the brakes feel high and by depressing a little the brakes will bite.

I don't think bleeding will help in this stage. Check if brake fluid reservoir is low. If it is then you may have a leak. You may also want to check if there is any swelling brake hoses.

• Praise 1

I don't think bleeding will help in this stage. Check if brake fluid reservoir is low. If it is then you may have a leak. You may also want to check if there is any swelling brake hoses.

Sometimes these service mechanics are very task oriented, they just do one thing to fix the symptom without looking or thinking why they have to perform the task in the first place.

(edited)

It's the brake master cylinder that requires replacement.

You can find all this info online. Just need to type in the keywords and Google.

Over time, with constant use, the seals inside of the cylinder can wear out and form internal leaks. A bad brake master cylinder may result in a pedal that feels mushy, spongy, or that slowly sinks to the floor when depressed
Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Sometimes these service mechanics are very task oriented, they just do one thing to fix the symptom without looking or thinking why they have to perform the task in the first place.

They are not the car owner and hardly spend much time on your car. They listen to what you say and fix it. Hence what the car owner tell the mechanic is important cos ultimately it's the car owner who spend the most time with the car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2