Disc brakes vs Drum brakes

Mikeyfingers

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me? Would like to know the diff betw disc brakes and drum brakes. Thinking of changing the rear drum brakes on my ride to disc brakes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. [sunny]

↡ Advertisement

Difference between them is disc brake is more chia as compared to brake drums [thumbsup] and it makes the outlook of your ride nicer especially with 16' - 18' rims [inlove] However, heard that if the conversion from brake drum to disc brake is not done properly it will affect your ABS [:p]

Frankly, I prefer drums over disc, it is more practical and easier to maintain, contrary to many said otherwise. Drums have been superseded by Disc is because of the manufacturer cost and ease of making it. In term of strength, at least for a NORMAL sedan, they give similar braking power but cheaper maintenance cost and easier maintenance. There are better way to spend your money.

erhh? same braking power? i read around seems like more pple say brake disc better braking power leh? so who's right?

but the lower cost of maintenance argument is definitely true.

You might be probably right....I did cap the word normal sedan...Both use the the same method of stopping, yes, disc is probably cheaper to make, needs more maintenance(pads and rotor disc, good for manufacturer), lighter, looks better (good for superficial), it is a choice...my choice is drum...cheap and easy to maintain.

Have a look at the below mentioned, might clarify a little on your question

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake3.htm

Edited by Fortress

Beats me...it got to do with the Japanese, who does good marketing on their cars. It has been a misconception but the esthetic is good for 4 disc then 2 drums. Imagine buying a fancy car, which is not fancy...

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me? Would like to know the diff betw disc brakes and drum brakes. Thinking of changing the rear drum brakes on my ride to disc brakes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. [sunny]

Drum brakes are older tech- cheaper to make and maintain. Main disadvantage is brake fade when hot.

Disc brakes resists brake fade better, have better stopping power. Looks dept: no fight disc wins hands-down.

But frankly for our normal cars, front-disc rear drums are more than sufficient at the speeds we do around SG.

Hope that helps.

↡ Advertisement