Disc brakes vs Drum brakes

Mikeyfingers

Supercharged
Me not sure but common sense tell me leh. You are making your gears work much harder. Instead of using brakes, you used your car gears to oppose that great force sure weaken it if everyday drive like that. Somemore it generates more heat for that poor thing and heat is also one of the culprit that shorten the gearbox lifespan and even the engine. Therefore, it is good to have regular oil change for good lubrication and it helps in heat reduction. Even if you "lut" your cars often, think the gear box will fail fast too. Dont "tekan" the gears lah and gear box is expensive.

point noted, shall not stress them further.

but if i recall, i was taught like that during learning phase.

↡ Advertisement

Guys just to check would there be cost of concern should your rear rotor is bigger then the front, example 300 front 303 rear?

Looking at Honda Shuttle, see if viable to change the rear drum brake to a disc one.

anyone switch a drum brake out to a disc brake?

Is it legal to do it in the first place? scully cannot pass vehicle inspection then cham

Edited by rp2046

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, rp2046 said:

Looking at Honda Shuttle, see if viable to change the rear drum brake to a disc one.

Is it legal to do it in the first place? scully cannot pass vehicle inspection then cham

There won't be an issue to change your brakes. You will still pass your inspection.

There is honda Fit there have rear disc brake one. I think it is compatible to use those.  Disc brake will have a better braking force. but you will seldom use your rear brake unless you really brake very hard. 

10 hours ago, rp2046 said:

for 99% of folks out there, rear drums are adequate. Any reason you wanna upgrade ? 

• Praise 3

On 10/10/2019 at 12:19 AM, Othello said:

for 99% of folks out there, rear drums are adequate. Any reason you wanna upgrade ? 

Look more swee ... hahaha

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

My first car has rear drum brakes. Many times the car could not stop in time, especially in the wet. Since then all my cars now must have all disc brakes on all four and I seldom have a problem stopping quickly. Also disc brakes look cooler.

fhgjjkjjl.JPG

• Praise 1

My previous car with drum rear brakes has better e-braking than my current car with rear disc brakes, when everything was stock. I am talking about abrupt all out braking situations. The problem for current car is not the rear but the lousy front brake pads which had since been changed.

• Praise 4

personally prefer Disc brakes. Just has a better sense of response/connection when the brake pads start heating up. I love disc brakes, the Calipers you see on performance cars too like damnn...  😍

@RadX for spammer.

Buying a vehicle with rear drum brakes isnt a concern if you're driving sedately and "feather-footed" all the time. 

Only when situation calls for strong braking and cornering will the disc brake show its advantage over drum brakes. 

• Praise 1

On 11/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, Columbian78 said:

My previous car with drum rear brakes has better e-braking than my current car with rear disc brakes, when everything was stock. I am talking about abrupt all out braking situations. The problem for current car is not the rear but the lousy front brake pads which had since been changed.

So after changing the front brake pads, does your  current car have a better rear disc brake than your previous car with rear drum brake ? I dont quite understand the logics though.

How did you come to the conclusion that the drum brake of your previous car was better than the disc brake of your current car ? 

9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

So after changing the front brake pads, does your  current car have a better rear disc brake than your previous car with rear drum brake ? I dont quite understand the logics though.

How did you come to the conclusion that the drum brake of your previous car was better than the disc brake of your current car ? 

I re-read my post and it seems correct in conveying what I wanted to share, but can be improved to be more clear. Sorry about that. The main point is that it is the front brakes, not the rear that greatly impacts the overall braking of the car. My current car braking was greatly improved by tweaking the front. I use the comparison with previous car (drum rear) to make the point. Disc brakes should always perform better than drum brakes in general, whether front or rear.

Some stock pads are the "comfort" type that are dustless but have little bite, like my current car. Vast improvement in braking comes from change of front brakes. When stock, it did not felt as good in hard braking as the car with drum rear brakes. After that, it felt better than the car with rear drum brakes.

• Praise 2

18 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

I re-read my post and it seems correct in conveying what I wanted to share, but can be improved to be more clear. Sorry about that. The main point is that it is the front brakes, not the rear that greatly impacts the overall braking of the car. My current car braking was greatly improved by tweaking the front. I use the comparison with previous car (drum rear) to make the point. Disc brakes should always perform better than drum brakes in general, whether front or rear.

Some stock pads are the "comfort" type that are dustless but have little bite, like my current car. Vast improvement in braking comes from change of front brakes. When stock, it did not felt as good in hard braking as the car with drum rear brakes. After that, it felt better than the car with rear drum brakes.

Thanks for the clarifications. If taking away brake pad from the equation, drum brake will never beat disc brake in efficiency.

When braking, a good 70% of the load will get thrown to the front, causing the front brakes to work harder, it is why the front  brakes need to be more efficient than the rear and therefore using disc brake. Some less expensive cars are still using drum at the rear  because it is cheaper, after the rear is taking less braking load, it does not have to be as efficient as the front in comparative terms.

Edited by Ct3833

I had previously upgraded my stock rear drum brakes to an aftermarket version, performance based brakes. And they were available from the supplier and specific for my car. 

The upgrade and experience was negligible. The front disc brakes are still better. 

• Praise 1

just to clarify, replacing rear drum to disc brake set up can pass inspection without issues? anyone has done this before and able to pass yearly inspection? How about insurance side? Any impact of not able to claim if touch wood got into accident.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, Ct3833 said:

Thanks for the clarifications. If taking away brake pad from the equation, drum brake will never beat disc brake in efficiency.

When braking, a good 70% of the load will get thrown to the front, causing the front brakes to work harder, it is why the front  brakes need to be more efficient than the rear and therefore using disc brake. Some less expensive cars are still using drum at the rear  because it is cheaper, after the rear is taking less braking load, it does not have to be as efficient as the front in comparative terms.

i notice now some commerical vehicle already switching over to disc brake even for their rear braking.

Edited by Beregond
↡ Advertisement