Disc brakes vs Drum brakes

Mikeyfingers

14 minutes ago, Beregond said:

i notice now some commerical vehicle already switching over to disc brake even for their rear braking.

Most of the commercial vehicles  have no sport rims, how did you  manage to peep in huh ? 😄😄

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, StreamRSZ said:

just to clarify, replacing rear drum to disc brake set up can pass inspection without issues? anyone has done this before and able to pass yearly inspection? How about insurance side? Any impact of not able to claim if touch wood got into accident.

I have upgraded from drum to disc. Inspection no problem because inspection do not test brakes. When you have both front and rear disc brakes, the braking is so much better. The braking force is pushing the car down ward instead of jerking forward. For insurance they are concern about the cost of replacement when accident happens. You can don't declare to them but if accident happen they will only replace stock brakes

3 hours ago, Justdaniel said:

I have upgraded from drum to disc. Inspection no problem because inspection do not test brakes. When you have both front and rear disc brakes, the braking is so much better. The braking force is pushing the car down ward instead of jerking forward. For insurance they are concern about the cost of replacement when accident happens. You can don't declare to them but if accident happen they will only replace stock brakes

this is good info. but than again. inspection they dont test brakes? 🤔

Drum brake now and then will squeal ..

Once upon a time mazda 3 had a Free upgrade even after you have bought the car to swap from drum to rear disc brake.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:26 PM, Justdaniel said:

I thought one of the inspection items is to test the brake

• Haha! 1

Brake testing is one of the major test component in vehicle mandatory inspections. Brake testis conducted via a brake roller tester and  consists of wheel bearing resistant running test, left right brake forces different test, Brake force test and hand brake test. The vehicle  inspector has no control over the overall result, the final decision is a compute base decision.

Failing brake test , means a overall fail inspection result and the vehicle owner will have to service the brake system and  return for another test and if pass, a full pass certificate will be issued

Every inspection they tested my brakes.

But they just see how strong the brakes are.

I don't think they care if its disc or drums.

:grin:

On 12/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, Dafansu said:

I thought one of the inspection items is to test the brake

Inspection where got go physically see whether rear drum brake is it changed to rear disc brake one.. As long as brake is working properly.. Its a pass.. 

They also can't be so busy trying to figure out whether this car runs on drum brake or disk brake right? 

Edited by Yewheng

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Inspection where got go physically see whether rear drum brake is it changed to rear disc brake one.. As long as brake is working properly.. Its a pass.. 

They also can't be so busy trying to figure out whether this car runs on drum brake or disk brake right? 

Modifications to brake system may result in handling and braking problems and therefore is unacceptable under the vehicle road worthiness test and inspections rules, I understand the modifications can only be approved by LTA unless it is certified by an approved person.

An inspector can easily inspect the the vehicle undercarriage including the brake assembly  when the vehicle is driven over to the inspection pit . Maybe due to lack of infos the inspector may not be able to decide whether the vehicle comes originally with drum of disc brakes.

Good luck to those who modified their vehicle brake system, so long as they do not meet an accident due to brake performance.

2 minutes ago, Yeobh said:

Modifications to brake system may result in handling and braking problems and therefore is unacceptable under the vehicle road worthiness test and inspections rules, I understand the modifications can only be approved by LTA unless it is certified by an approved person.

An inspector can easily inspect the the vehicle undercarriage including the brake assembly  when the vehicle is driven over to the inspection pit . Maybe due to lack of infos the inspector may not be able to decide whether the vehicle comes originally with drum of disc brakes.

Good luck to those who modified their vehicle brake system, so long as they do not meet an accident due to brake performance.

Oh.. Thanks.. Thought they just look look see see.. Now I know why need to drove over on top of the pit and below got people look at the undercarriage.. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:06 AM, Yewheng said:

referring to testing of brake, quoted this previously, not whether they see drum or disc

"I have upgraded from drum to disc. Inspection no problem because inspection do not test brakes. When you have both front and rear disc brakes, the braking is so much better. The braking force is pushing the car down ward instead of jerking forward. For insurance they are concern about the cost of replacement when accident happens. You can don't declare to them but if accident happen they will only replace stock brakes"