Disc brakes vs Drum brakes

Mikeyfingers

Supercharged

reply to Unfair:

thats a very good and detailed write up on brake. Just thinking of upgrading to better brakes but since you mentioned, it will incurr more FC.. than better don't.

My current brake is only used at 13.5k, not sure if i damage it with the application of WD40... [speechless]

think i better consult a mech on this.. safety comes first

Will engine brake hurt the gear box ? More opposing force will be countered at the gears and repairing gear boxes is more expensive

serious?

i always use engine brake if time and distance permit. followed by brakes

↡ Advertisement

reply to Unfair:

thats a very good and detailed write up on brake. Just thinking of upgrading to better brakes but since you mentioned, it will incurr more FC.. than better don't.

My current brake is only used at 13.5k, not sure if i damage it with the application of WD40... [speechless]

Looks like u hav nvr see b4 rusted Ferrari rotor. It is because d rotor was not working to its full capacity.

This is what i have done. My front rotor worn unevenly. So, i decided to replace it with Brembo rotor (It's about $100/pc). It is slightly lighter than stock rotor. I replace d brake pad with stock brake pad. It has improved quite a lot as compared to stock rotor. As i m using Michelin PP2, upon e-brake, my wife has to hold on to front dashboard.

reply to Unfair:

Eh, the FC part is because of the tires and not the brakes bro.

better grip = more friction mah. can also consider changing wider tire profiles.

but the FC (1km/L diff??) is not that much compared to paying for someone's new bumper !

go for brake pads first then test test the braking feel.

tires are expensive... prehaps you tell us what tires u r using, we can advice you betta.

Supercharged

mind me asking this,

should i go for stock brake pad or performance ones? I notice the price is more exp when comes to stock.

mind me asking this,

should i go for stock brake pad or performance ones? I notice the price is more exp when comes to stock.

Hi bro

your stock brake pads u get from ur Authorized dealer isit?

What car do you drive ?

Supercharged
Hi bro

What car do you drive ?

Hey bro,

Yeah, stock brake pad can either get from proton singapore or proton malaysia.

I'm driving a proton savvy. [blush]

was quoted original proton pad at RM132,

while Bendix metal king titanium at RM92

last, Bosch powerplus at RM55 only

Safety is priority

Hi bro

What car do you drive ?

Hey bro,

Yeah, stock brake pad can either get from proton singapore or proton malaysia.

I'm driving a proton savvy. [blush]

was quoted original proton pad at RM132,

while Bendix metal king titanium at RM92

last, Bosch powerplus at RM55 only

Safety is priority

Get from proton sure more ex :)

get the bendix metal king

i also using it for my honda jazz

much betta then stock !

you from MY ? my pads cost me 100 sing dollars.....

maybe next time i go MY do servicing !

Supercharged

much betta then stock !

Nah, i'm a singaporean. Just got my opc savvy around 1 month, my ride is just a transport from A to B, never speed above 110km.

Well, i notice one good thing about m'sia car is parts are relatively cheap, but not for mine as my engine and some other parts are by renault.

damn exp, recently my spark plug was damaged, quoted $450 to get it replaced.

Lucky, the car still got warranty by 2nd hand dealer, so i got it for free and along the new model whereby cable and coil can be seperated.

Where you stay? We can go in and do our rides :)

watch movie, eat supper.

Cheap cheap

Ok, back thread.

Bendix is from Thai, i'm compared it between Bosch powerplus. Definitely Bosch powerplus sound more pro. haha.

Since you compare it to Honda stock, i guess it's really good.

much betta then stock !

Nah, i'm a singaporean. Just got my opc savvy around 1 month, my ride is just a transport from A to B, never speed above 110km.

Well, i notice one good thing about m'sia car is parts are relatively cheap, but not for mine as my engine and some other parts are by renault.

damn exp, recently my spark plug was damaged, quoted $450 to get it replaced.

Lucky, the car still got warranty by 2nd hand dealer, so i got it for free and along the new model whereby cable and coil can be seperated.

Where you stay? We can go in and do our rides :)

watch movie, eat supper.

Cheap cheap

Ok, back thread.

Bendix is from Thai, i'm compared it between Bosch powerplus. Definitely Bosch powerplus sound more pro. haha.

Since you compare it to Honda stock, i guess it's really good.

Heng for ur warranty.

Bendix more popular right ?

i am not sure... any bros out there able to give some advice ?

i stay Sengkang

doing part time course at night, work in the day. dun really have the time to go up malaysia and risk the jams.

but i'm sure you will be able to find some khakis to go with you. watch the 'pump petrol' thread lol.

do you have problems stopping in time ? near misses happening ?

Supercharged
i stay Sengkang

doing part time course at night, work in the day. dun really have the time to go up malaysia and risk the jams.

but i'm sure you will be able to find some khakis to go with you. watch the 'pump petrol' thread lol.

do you have problems stopping in time ? near misses happening ?

i see, understand. been through that kind of hectic lifestyle for the past 4 yrs.

khakis, here quite shy... so far, none is keen.

maybe boleh land is too dangerous for some. [rolleyes]

yeah, yesterday damn closed...

only traveling at 70km at tampines ave 10, then this L plate suddenly do an e brake.

car in front also followed, lady driver.

so freaking near.. left me cursing and swearing along TPE how can they do that on peak hours.

it's dangerous driving.. and worst, the L plate do e brake on busy road..

touch wood,like that also don't know how to win the case... crappy [furious]

despite speed of 70km, it took the brake a while to response, especially this case.. thinking if the brake pad really spoiled...

but once again, it only on the road for 13.5k

must be my foolishness, WD40...

Wah WD40 is a lubricant oil. You put on ur brake system ???

Bro, cannot blame L Plate la, you must be aware of ur surroundings also, keep further distance from them and lady drivers.

Change to aftermarket brake pads fast, better bite. Then use a while and see if you need more 'enhancements' [:)]

Are brake pads supposed to be sanded with sandpaper?

Noticed many mechanics sanding the friction surface during brake servicing, won't this cause uneven wear?

Noticed many mechanics sanding the friction surface during brake servicing, won't this cause uneven wear?

dun worry, ur mech is doing the rite thing. The sanding will not cause uneven surface cause the mech hand wont be able to turn few thousand rpm, neither the sand paper is string enough to cause the uneven...

Just Imagine.

The force applied by your mechanic's hand vs the forces applied when braking from 90 - 60km/h.

I dun see the pt in sanding the surface besides earning more money haha. If want to 'sand', better off skimming the rotors ?

The right way is to use a diamond oil stone. Emery cloth will not be able to remove the very hard glass-like glazed spots/patches.

The glazed spots/patches are so hard removing them with std HSS cutter will not be able to do the work properly. The only way out is to use carbide tipped cutting tool

(edited)

reply to Unfair:

Will engine brake hurt the gear box ? More opposing force will be countered at the gears and repairing gear boxes is more expensive

serious?

i always use engine brake if time and distance permit. followed by brakes

Me not sure but common sense tell me leh. You are making your gears work much harder. Instead of using brakes, you used your car gears to oppose that great force sure weaken it if everyday drive like that. Somemore it generates more heat for that poor thing and heat is also one of the culprit that shorten the gearbox lifespan and even the engine. Therefore, it is good to have regular oil change for good lubrication and it helps in heat reduction. Even if you "lut" your cars often, think the gear box will fail fast too. Dont "tekan" the gears lah and gear box is expensive. [flowerface]

Edited by Renegade777
↡ Advertisement