Hand Brake Vs Foot Pedal Brake. Which one is better?

Chimp

I always go into Neutral and pull the handbrake. Make it a ritual and you are unlikely to forget about releasing it. For my current car, the handbrake is pretty strong. If I go into Drive with the handbrake on, my car hardly moves and you can feel the resistance. Of course if you rev off, then I guess you might take a while to realise it later. [laugh]

jarjar

Edited by Crazyjarjar

Neutral Newbie

I actully had that experience when I first collected the car. It has a handbrake too and in my excitment I forgot to release it and just drove off. Find the car very sluggish, took a look at the dial and found out that the parking brakes light was on. Then I realised that the handbrake was pulled up, luckily not fully, that's why I could move.

Anyway, I feel that both foot parking brake and hand parking brake serves the same function. If you forgot to let them off before driving off, will get the same effect. What I think is that this foot brake thingy is new, and when we are not used to it, and things goes a little out of expectation, we start to feel that this new feature is not as good as the conventional ones. It needs a some getting used to. One thing I like about foot parking brake is that it frees up the space between the 2 front seats.

My 2 cents on this....

From the comments that I received so far, most people are not against this change. It is just a matter of adopting to the change. although old habit dies hard and people usually don't like to change, I have no choice but to be more careful and try to look out for that warning light. thumbsup.gif

Nowadays, more and more new car model have replaced the hand brake with the foot pedal brake. Any one knows what is the main reason for the change? Maybe cost savings perhaps as I don't see this as an improvement.

With the hand brake visible next to us, we sometimes still forget to release it before moving off. Wonder if the hand brake now changed to foot pedal brake, will this kind of mistake be more frequent?

Any bro or sis using foot padel brake can share their experience?

I personally do not like the idea of foot-brake. I prefer handbrake bcos in event of emergency, I can control the car easier with handbrake. And for the simple reason, whenever the handbrake turn adreline overwhelms me, I can execute it [laugh]

ya you have a point there.. for those who perform stunt they normally use handbrake.. so if it turn out to be footbrake, how are they suppose to do?? right foot on acc padel.. and jam left foot on footbrake...

Neutral Newbie
What I think is that this foot brake thingy is new, and when we are not used to it, and things goes a little out of expectation, we start to feel that this new feature is not as good as the conventional ones. It needs a some getting used to. One thing I like about foot parking brake is that it frees up the space between the 2 front seats.

the foot brake has been around for decades. Citroen uses them on their XMs way back in 1990.

Neutral Newbie

I don't know why TC took so long to bring in the murano. I ve seen it in Taiwan more than two years back. It would have given the harriers/RX300 a run for the money. And soon after arriving on SGP shore, they come up with the face-lift [hur]

with AT cars, I DO NOT use the Handbrake/Parking Brake unless I am parked on a slope. Putting the trans to P is more than sufficient.

One reason its moved out of sight to the foot well is because it is no longer used as often. Unlike maunal cars where the car can still be push in neutral or 1st gear (or any gear in fact, hence the need to use hand brake), AuT0 Trans car will not move once its put to "P". Since "P" is the default position when you park an AT car, you no longer need to pull the hand brake.

I'm a newbie driver, agree that Park is USUALLY enough. However, in my case, the car inches forward or back (depending on which side it faces) even on the slightest slope [sweatdrop] . It will move abt 2-3inches or so, not a hazard, but sth to beware of if u park really close to a wall or someone else. Which is why i like to use the Foot brake when parking unless all clear behind n front. [thumbsup]

The main reason is that when Nissan launch Murano in late 2003, it is only for the US market. At that time, I don't think it is available anywhere except in the States. Starting from last year, Nissan start selling them in their domestic market and slowly releasing them to Europe and Asia. UK have their first Murano sometime in March this year. Tan Chong is a bit late, I guess the Japan luxury SUV market has been dominated by Harrier/RX300 for quite a while since there is not much choice. For people who want to have something different, they now have a choice in Murano. Hopefully, it will not be as popular as Harrier/RX300. smile.gif

The 2006 face lift is a minor one. According to the murano owner forum, the major revamp will happen in 2008 so there is still a couple of years away. nod.gif

footbrake nt realli that good cuz u cant apply the pressure required(gradual or heavy) the moment u press it, it locks the rear wheels. in fact traditional handbrake would be better.

I think you got a point there. I have tried out the foot brake and it seems quite hard to control how hard you want to press. But, I guess no choice, just have to press hard otherwise it will not bite and then it might roll if the car in on a slope.

↡ Advertisement