Hand Brake Vs Foot Pedal Brake. Which one is better?

Chimp

Nowadays, more and more new car model have replaced the hand brake with the foot pedal brake. Any one knows what is the main reason for the change? Maybe cost savings perhaps as I don't see this as an improvement.

With the hand brake visible next to us, we sometimes still forget to release it before moving off. Wonder if the hand brake now changed to foot pedal brake, will this kind of mistake be more frequent?

Any bro or sis using foot padel brake can share their experience?

↡ Advertisement

once my dad drove my car without releasing the footbrake and when he returned home....phwar chao tar smell. then go for servicing KM say brakepad botak. got pros and cons, foot brake freeup space in the centre row.

Yeah, that is one valid reason. But cars like Camry, the control box is still in the middle, that is why I don't understand why they need to change. I would prefer the hand brake over the foot pedal.

For most MPV, the gear box have been moved to the front instead of the side, those I can understand they replace the side hand brake with foot pedal brake.

I am about to change to a foot padel brake car and I am very worry my wife will do what your father did. sweatdrop.gif

Edited by Chimp

But the problem is when you don't want to brake but the brake is on without realizing it. Then like what happened to Odyssey, you need to go replace your brake pads frequently.sweatdrop.gif

Edited by Chimp

paisey me asking hor.. but with footbrake or handbrake on car can still move all the way meh?? I had this exp before but short dist already feel car not moving much so check and realise that handbrake not down...

Neutral Newbie

with AT cars, I DO NOT use the Handbrake/Parking Brake unless I am parked on a slope. Putting the trans to P is more than sufficient.

One reason its moved out of sight to the foot well is because it is no longer used as often. Unlike maunal cars where the car can still be push in neutral or 1st gear (or any gear in fact, hence the need to use hand brake), AuT0 Trans car will not move once its put to "P". Since "P" is the default position when you park an AT car, you no longer need to pull the hand brake.

My experience with hand brake is mainly with conti car. When the hand brake is pull, the car will stop even if it is in Drive mode. But, once you press on the accelerate pedal, the car will move. Although it will make a screeching sound, it will nevertheless continue to move. At times, I have done this and only realized the hand brake is on when I heard the loud screeching noise.

I usually will pull hand brake when stop at traffic light and leave the car in Drive mode instead of putting the car in Neutral mode. There are people recommending this as they said in Singapore's road condition, you can wear out the car very fast by shifting between "D" & "N".

Do you usually put the car in "N" when stop at traffic? If so, you will have less chance to need to pull hand brake.

Neutral Newbie

i have tried leaving the tranny at D and engagin the handbrake when at a traffik light. the car will inch forward a little and then the back will squad a bit. i dun like that feeling. [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

I just leave it at D and step on the brake. As the car is stationary, it will not wear-out your brake pads.

ONly use N when I double-park so that others can move my car if necessary [laugh] . Can't think of any other use off-hand.

Edited by Fondue

Yeah, actually I use to do the same as you but now getting lazy to continue to step on the brake so thought I just pull hand brake and leave the car in "D" to rest my foot. rolleyes.gif

my colt has the parking brake at the foot. Initially, it was difficult to adjust cos i kept thinking it was a clutch. however, after awhile, i got used to it.

in fact, i find it better there cos it frees up space at the centre console and the whole thing is hidden from view. it is also easy to operate. just gotta step it.

i havent had the problem of driving with it depressed. if it is depressed, the warning light does come on.

With the foot brake pedal car, I guess I will have to leave the car in "D" and continue to stop on the brake rather than risk smoke the brake pads and have to replace them.

[reply]

my colt has the parking brake at the foot. Initially, it was difficult to adjust cos i kept thinking it was a clutch. however, after awhile, i got used to it.

in fact, i find it better there cos it frees up space at the centre console and the whole thing is hidden from view. it is also easy to operate. just gotta step it.

i havent had the problem of driving with it depressed. if it is depressed, the warning light does come on.

I guess it is a matter of getting used to it. After a while, I should be able to adopt to it. But, once people get used to their car, they tend not to look at the warning lights so that might not prevent me from forgetting to release the foot brake pedal. shakehead.gif

Neutral Newbie

Yes it takes a while to get use to it. When I first drove a car with the pedal brake, I had a a full load of passengers, and I thought the car really sucks cos take so long to pick up speed. Then i realised ..... .. [:p][:p][:p]

Happen a few times and finally got used to releasing it. Soon after, decided to stop using it ... so no more problem !! [laugh][laugh]

Edited by Fondue
↡ Advertisement