Surface preperations

Toalson

Curious to know if any1 tried different or no prep prior to sealant and/or waxing; n how's the durability.

Senario 1

Claybar then sealant

Senario 2

Wash+shampoo

Sealant

Senario 3

Wash (water)

Polish

Sealant

Senario 4

Wash (water)

Sealant

Any1 wanna share experiences? Tks!

↡ Advertisement

For maintance (weekly):

1. Wash w/shampoo

2. Claying (using light force only) (This is optional only u feel the surface

is a bit rough).

3. Apply sealant. (I'm using Klasse products)

The durability really can't tell due I do it weekly [sweatdrop]

But the shine is always there [sunny]

MarcosTan

Toyota Rav4

Neutral Newbie

hi, need some expert advise from you.

My car is 6 months old. Since the day I collected my car, no grooming treatment was done, things like Toughseal, glare, zaino etc was never done on it. The only thing I had was a mobile grooming by Klasse when it was 1 month old. Ever since then, I just was the car weekly with Polyglaze Wash and Wax. And top-up with Armourall protective barrier spray, not too frequent too. I do claybar once in a while and just use the spray as a protection to the car after claybaring. 3 weeks ago, I bought a turtle wax liquid platinium wax and did a full claybar followed by wax for the first time. Looks Ok, but still some watermarks on it. I am working in Tuas, so car is always baking in the sun and usually after a rain and the sun comes out, it's the worst.

Anyway I have decided that I should do something to protect the paintwork. I bought myself a Hi-glaze88 to be used as sealant, and then top it up with the turtle wax liquid wax.

So how should I prepare the surface prior to doing the sealant? And how effective is mama lemon solution in removing the watermarks. Don't really want to go to the extend of using ScatchX etc, that's what I found out from this forum, in removing the watermarks.

Thanks in advance

Neutral Newbie

Personally, I'd have stuck with Klasse. Just buy one of the kits, and it should last you a year, assuming you stick with a once-a-week maintenance schedule.

Once a week, just wash the car with a normal car shampoo (I like the Blakc Magix wax-friendly car wash shampoo), dry it with a good chamois (I've been using the Autoglym Aqua-Dry for over a year already), then apply a thin coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze. Twice a year, or once a quarter, put aside a couple of hours for applying AIO to clean up the paintwork, and reapply the SG layers.

SG seems to offer pretty good protection (around 2 weeks at least, parked outdoors), and is easy to apply (using the wax-on, wax-off technique), and offers fantastic shine.

If time is in short supply, you can always SG the car once a fortnight, and all it will take is half an hour of your time, excluding washing and drying.

Detailing is not meant to be a once-a-week wash affair. Either you love your car and spend some quality time keeping it in tip-top shape, or spend money on a package and let the professionals get the job done on a bi-monthly basis. But keep in mind that while they do it for a living, no one cares for your car more than you :)

My ride suffered pretty much the same fate as u. Jurong area thumbsdown.gif rain then sunshine, thus a lot of watermarks. Most are already etched into the clearcoat as when I started I just keep waxing thus sealing them into the bodysmallcry.gif

Now I just want the ride to look shiny but not really bothered with swirls n watermarks. wink.gif

ENG88,

Since, your ride was treated by Klasse, actually u shall keep on using Klasse product.

I don't think mama lemon can remove the watermarks. From the experience of my follow

Ravers, they keep doing the Klasse AIO weekly and seems can remove most of the watermarks.

Eventhose some of the marks was too deep but AIO still can lighten a bit.

Since your ride is only 6 months old I hope the watermarks are not too deep to take out.

What I suggest is:

1. Washing with car shampoo.

2. Claying (use more pressure, it might take out some watermarks).

3. Polish with turtle platinium liquid wax (I hope it's contain cleaner).

If it do contain cleaner apply with some pressure. The cleaner of the wax

shall help to remove watermarks.

4. The last step is apply the Hi Glaze88 sealant to protect the paint work.

To keep away the watermarks is not a sample task.

Also keep your ride dry, never never give any chance to let raindrops dry on the

surface of your ride. (Worst is let it brake dry under the sun.).

Hope this can help.

Good luck,

MarcosTan

Toyota Rav4

Neutral Newbie

I'm another of those procrastinators.. [sweatdrop]

Well after reading up on an earlier thread frm Leonknapp I bought the soft99 wax.

Didn't do much surface prep since my ride is on Glare.

So basically mine is Glared -> wash -> wax

Result is shiny but somehow can see patches of uneven-ness. (Very irritating. Why ah? Poor surface prep? Or due to poor bonding with the Glare sealant?)

Paintwork is smooth and even smells nice because of the wax! Beading looks really good and typically subsides after 1 week ++ at most give it 2 weeks.

So now I'm considering using a clay + polish + wash + sealant + wax system. Just bought a claybar from autobacs (carmate brand)

Also got a few qns,

1. Can polish remove watermarks? Which ones are recommended for newbie? Believe mine are not deeply etched.

2. Polish doesn't necessarily require a rotary/orbital machine right?

3. What sealant is recommended? I personally want to try Leonknapp's recommendation (Fusso)

4. Is Meguiar's NXT shampoo worth it? I'm tempted to use what Gen2 use.. hehee (Meg gold class)

Would really appreciate some advice from the detailing pros here.

Thanks in advance [flowerface]

The uneven-ness could be that ur surface was too hot when u apply the wax or the amt of wax used on those areas were too thick.

Some amt of watermarks could be eliminated by use of polish. However if the watermarks were baked too long under the sun as in my case smallcry.gif only professionals with machine can remove them.

Heard Klasse AIO is quite a noteable polish+wax(acrylic) flowerface.gif Will most likely try it too.

Meg gold class shampoo has pretty good reviews in autopia thumbsup.gif

Imho, Fusso (based on my limited exprience with spray type 90days) Easy to apply but I find the shine is not really comparable to even AG EGP. Might still need to top up with wax to enhance the shine.scholar.gif

I tinking of trying meg #20 or #21 if I can get a hand on it.sly.gif Think these might be good as they have mild cleaners which might help in the area of bonding and surface prep.idea.gif

I find the AG SRP quite good as it brings out the shine sunny.gif But I hardly do so cos ride still pretty new n still quite shiny (imho wink.gif) Thus my inital questions as I wanna know which method would give good results.

Guess now is for me get a new shampoo. Cant seemed to find the armourall shampoo every1 is toking abt. Only see the usual blue (is this the oneconfused.gif), red or gel type.

Above r based on my limited experience n knowledge from forum. angel.gif

Neutral Newbie

Last weekend, I spend about 4.5 hours over 2 days to wash (shampoo), apply sealant and wax.

End result is kinda disppointing. The car is not as shiny as I hope it would be.

I have the same problem as you cos I also worked in the Jurong Area close to the conventional port so you can imagine. [thumbsdown]

No comments on duriability yet since its been only a week. Will be able to comment more when I wash and wax my ride over the weekend.

Neutral Newbie

Ha ha....

Only those people working in the Jurong/Tuas area will understand the our fate.

Lot's a corrosive fallout the sky, all from the companies churning out their air waste and also the sandblasting from the shipyards. Even before raining, car is usually covered with these stuff. Lagi best when it rain, the rain collects all these waste from the sky and deposit on the car. then sun come out and bake till nice and crispy. somemore I feel that it seems like it's much hotter here than other parts of Singapore. All these... what we got is....Complimentary watermarks!

Sigh... [:(]

Just wanted some form of protection, on top of the weekly wash

One of my follow Raver he is working in Sony Tuas. He get the same problems

what you got. His ride was treated by Klasse once. After three months he

never do anything with his ride only did weekly petrol station's carwash.

Last week, he came to our Rav4 monthly Wash & Wax, after a good

washing, claying, Klasse AIO then Klasse Sealant. Now his black Rav4 is

back to shiny & smooth.

My conclusion: Klasse is a good sealant to protect the car surface.

The best way to keep your ride shiny & smooth, u need to have a good good

polsih + sealant first follow by maintain with weekly claying + sealant.

MarcosTan

Toyota Rav4 [thumbsup]

Where Can I get these Klasse product?

Because I am finishing Meguiars Wax soon and thinking of switching using autoglyms sealant.... so like to find out more about klasse.

Edited by Diamond2006

Neutral Newbie

Actually wanted to get Klasse, but don't have any decal to get any offer, so decided to go for the Hi-glaze88 option since it seems quite good after reading from this forum.

But one thing I am quite confuse [dizzy] now, should the sealant comes before the polish or after?

I always have the impress of the sequence as

1. Wash - To remove physical dirt on the surface

2. Claybar - To remove those dirt that are stuck on the surface

3. Polish/ScratchX whatever - Remove those swirl marks/watermarks etc.

4. Sealant - Seal the surface

5. Polish - For some shine.

The steps you recommended seems to stop at sealant. Please enlighten me on this.

Ur step 5 should be wax for extra shine wink.gif

I got decal but still wondering whether to get Klasse but I only want the AIO n there's no package for AIO alone. frown.gif

↡ Advertisement