Shock absorbers - Tokico vs KYB

Plakatboy

Hi ,

anyone with experience with the mentioned shock absorbers? The KYB quote was about $80 more than the Tokico (change all 4).

Care to give comments? Wonder if i should pay more for the KYB.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

I had it on during 80,000km on my odometer and it is still running well (At least to me [:)] ) when i scrape off at 150,000km [thumbsup]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

I'd go for Tokicos. They are firmer. Dampers will go psst.....flat after some time. No need to spend so much unless you absolutely need that kind of performance touted in them. KYB, Tokico, Monroe all the same if they are for your stock car. Unless you got tuned suspension with lowered springs and all that, maybe it is justifiable for more expensive dampers but I doubt it is worth it for stock suspensions.

Neutral Newbie

Beware! Some KYB stocks are made in Malaysia.

Tokico are from Japan.

If you want better shocks, go for Koni. Good value.

Get the KYB from the shop in Owen Rd. They're from Japan.

KYB is the OEM for many jap cars. I use the gas type. Good value for money.

Tried Monroe senstrax & normal Monroe b4. Nothing special. I now stick to good ole Jap OEM's. [thumbsup]

okayz.

Can't find KYB for my ride. Only Tokico from a shop at Norris road.

Yah..don't intend to spend so much. My car only from Pt A to B and the occasion trip to Malaysia [nod]

Current cheapest quote for all 4 incld labour is $300 (no wheel alignment)

By the way is it okay not to do the wheel alignment thingy?

[reply]

okayz.

Can't find KYB for my ride. Only Tokico from a shop at Norris road.

Yah..don't intend to spend so much. My car only from Pt A to B and the occasion trip to Malaysia nod.gif

Current cheapest quote for all 4 incld labour is $300 (no wheel alignment)

By the way is it okay not to do the wheel alignment thingy?

Better to do alignment if there's work done on your shock absorber and drive shaft, cos the alignment will quite likely to be disturbed.nod.gif

Try the shop I PM'ed u for orig Japan KYB.

Wheel alignment u must do. Don't depend on the WS to do it properly. If they do it, it's only the mechanical type which is no good as u have to check camber, castor & toe in/out.

Only the computerised 4 wheel alignment can do this properly.

I had my shocks chnaged at cas senoko & they told me alignment was done but the handling sucked real bad after. I had a skid on a wet road soon after & hit a guard-rail. This was due to poor alignment.

I got the 4 wheel computerised alignment done after & cud feel the car much more stable, especially in the wet. Computerised alignment for all 4 wheels cost abt $50.

$300 is about the market for oem jap shocks incl labour for 4 wheels. I prefer to buy my own parts so i can make sure I get the good stuff. Most ws will get the cheapest parts to make more profit.

My KYB shocks got it printed on the box & I think on the shocks too. "Made in Japan".

If u only see the word "japan", it might b from some other country.

Bought my Tokicos gas shocks for $220.

Took them out from the box to check. Noticed that the front shocks are much softer than the rear ones . Any one can advise if this is normal ?

Thanks.

Neutral Newbie

Sorry bro, can't help you here. I just know that according to KYB technical papers, the GR-2 or Excel-G replacement shocks are about 15% firmer than stock ones. Maybe you shouldn't be comparing front and rear but with the stock shocks ?

↡ Advertisement