Rough Rides in the Mornings!

Shsoh

Neutral Newbie

This has been going for a while.... I do realise that for the first drive of the day, the engine will vibrate violently at low speeds. This normally happens at around 1,500 rpm.

But the interesting thing to note is that this problem does not occur for the subsequent rides for the day. Can anyone advise on this phenomena?

↡ Advertisement

Hi there Shsoh,

Welcome to MCF,...........How long does the vibration last???...... btw, what car are you driving, it might help us to appreciate your problem better if we know......

Cheers

Could be loose spark plugs, cables, fuel starvation, bad ignition timing, if you got warranty send it to agent. It may be an unlikely ECU software problem too since many new cars have ignition timing and fuel injection pulse all electronically controlled.

Neutral Newbie

Is it just in the morning? or just after the first time you started your car after overnight? will it happen if you start driving your car in the afternoon after parking overnight?

Neutral Newbie

I start my rides most of the time in the mornings. This problem happens every time. I cannot recall a time when it happens in the afternoon. The thing is: It happens only ONCE everyday. Will send back to agent then....

Neutral Newbie

Its a common problem. Car is cold after 1 night of cooler temp. Would you say you are generally lightfooted in the mornings? How many km has the car run?

I have seen this problem over several cars, and to be honest cannot put a finger on 1 cause only. Best way to discuss is over a cup of coffee...

I don't advise you see the agent. Yet. They typically adjust idle settings that in the long run screws up the efficiency of the car, because the service is free. Happened to me with a previous Mitsubishi.

The real solution is to recover back the lost efficiencies, thru better lube in the air intake, engine, better spark, improving octane (like the magnets), etc.

Neutral Newbie

The agent himself said that it is not a problem.... just that the engine needs some warming up. Yup, I'm lightfooted in the morning on the car that has clocked close to 8,000 km.

Neutral Newbie

Ok, your inputs are helpful. Fairly conclusive that its normal ageing. Case in point, my Honda degraded after 2,400km; but I checked with a fren who also had a new Ody, same story, though he couldn't quote the mileage. Ditto for my Previous Mit SPacey. My Sunny...need I say it?

A few things you could do to extract some additional low end:

1. Use sports plugs ($60-$80)

2. Size plug heat range hotter (not recommended in your case)

3. Use a thinner syn oil (a 30wt oil would be nice at 8,000km, else no higer than 40wt)

4. Use some additive to reduce friction in your engine (eg Reverup)

5. Magnets on fuel line (ask Cool)

6. Fuel cat (but this has complications)

7. Insulate exhaust manifold (I use an industrial product that costs $25 + $60 labour)

8. Lower refridgerant pressure in your aircon (this happens naturally with time) and add lube

Strongly recommend #1, 3, 5, 7

↡ Advertisement