Car Ventillation Options??

Yc86

Hi,

Just wanna know if anyone has any creative ideas bout ventillation in a car.

may plan to scrap the aircon unit out of the car if i can find good way.

anyway i don't use the aircon much cos it lags too much power and since its' a COE car and planning to keep it for 2+ yrs.

Criteria is just... that 'device' has to allow outside air to come in, filter with somesort of mesh or filter, can close (seal) up and open..

It must also allow opening in the rain.. i.e won't let water inside but still let air inside, else the car would fog up cos of the heat inside.

options include a roof ram scoop, but problem is i already have a sunroof on top which came with the car. also thought of reverse scoop that draws hot air out, also won't let rain go in... anyways the sunroof when slightly opened behaves sort of like a reverse already.

also, don't know if the structual integrity of the car would be affected if i cut more holes in the roof, as there is a sunroof already.

i've seen the WRC style scoops, and it's actually a scoop in a scoop.. there is a smaller hatch to open inside the big scoop, which keeps rain water out. but overal, that thing is huge! would look pathetic on my small car.

Also, anyone knows where to install scoops n stuff?

any comments and ideas would be appreciated... thanks!

Edited by Yc86
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

i get the fogging bit, so I think for your scenario, best to always drive with windows wound down... that means you gotta get yourself side window visors if you don't already have... this'll definitely help prevent rain from getting in as well as keep the fogging out. the reverse RAM scoop is interesting. you should also adopt a more in depth study of looking at your current AC setup and how the fresh air comes in (when you flip the lever to fresh air). And where it comes from, you can remove the whole AC, but still retain the fan system - and perhaps create a more direct and large pathway for the outside fresh air to come in. A/C is acutally not standard in some cold countries... and I remember the older cars had a very direct airflow path from outside... my old car overseas, I did not even have to turn on the fan and the outside air at about 40km/h cruising was flowing in quite freely.

yup.. the fogging is usually during raining or cold weather..

oki. first step wld be to get window visors [nod]

was thinking, do they make those portable, maybe 12V or C/D cell powered aircons/cool fans?.. for emergency use [sweatdrop]

kk will retain the fan if all goes well... is the aircon 'radiator' is the same as the engine coolant radiator? looks similar from the outside. cos if remove and its the same, i can re-use it since it is almost new [laugh]

ventilation...hmmm...best get portable fan 12v..those turbo powerful type...my previous colleague used those antique mini fan...powerful enuff..best is can find portable 12v aircon!!...

Also put visors...so that u can open windows even during drizzle..

Think have seen those wrc scoop...not sure whether local can get..but if go JB..higher chance can find..

sorry ah bro....

i really duno how to help u....

but i think remove the windscreen will give u the best ventiallation...

lolx.. like that i cut the roof n rear to make it a convertible le.. [laugh][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Easy. Push the A/C button to turn it off.

Press another button to switch between circulation or outside ventilation. Your car has a built in ventilation system.

It runs on battery, so does not directly rob HP or fuel mileage as long you don't turn on A/C compressor.

Neutral Newbie

It is not suppose to blow hot air if you switch to full cool and outside air. It is the same air from outside, and blowing through the electric fan system without heating up.

Probably, you are referring to effect of wind instead of temperature. At the same temperature, strong wind will make you feel cooler. When you turn on car's ventilation fan, it is too small to cool yourself efficiently.

If you roll down window, the direct strong wind will cool you down alot. But I think they are of the same temperature.

↡ Advertisement