COE Big Small Eyed Mercedez Benz E200

Kelpie

1. Now the 1996 Big Small Eyed Mercedez Benz E200 is going for 60K+. Better than buying those CEO Mercedes with square eyes.

2. Anyone knows about this E200 model? Is it reliable? How long has this model been around before replaced by the Joined Big Small Eyed ones?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

There's 3 examples of 1996 E200 advertised for S$68K at sgcarmart.

These were selling for S$220K brand new back then.

Scrap value @ 80% of S$47K OMV = S$37,600

Cat B Prevailing COE = S$14,000

Body = S$5,000

Cost price to dealer = S$56,600

Think you can bargain down to about S$63K (annual dep S$6,300), as the dealer has the margin to play with, even if they spend an extra S$1,000 to do up the car.

How low you can bargain to will depend on mkt demand.

Those 3 cars at sgcarmart have been advertised for almost month, but there's still no takers.

The '89 to '93 model Mercedes are going at S$4K to S$4.5K annual depreciation.

If you don't mind the rd tax surcharge for >10 yr old cars, both are great options.

A brand new E200 annual dep is S$15K

Joined Big Small Eyed is C-class, Joined Big Small Eyed C200 launch end2000/early2001.

E200 is a very good and reliabile car... one of the most trusted & famous executive car

...... but COE car is old, very difficult to say, might have problem here & there, depends how the last owner take care...

Edited by Ncss

Hi there,

1. Thank you for the analysis. So I know I should not be paying more than 63k.

2. Never drove a COE car before, is the road tax a killer? How about insurance for COE cars?

Regards,

1. Thank you for the correction. Don't know much about Mercz but at least no COE C200 yet.

2. So the current E200 maintain its look for the past 10 years ago? What about the engine?

Regards,

1. Yes..., but you can look for a 4 or 5 years C-class (Joined eye model).

Price about +/- 90k...

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/listing.php?...1=0&PR2=&FR=Any

2. I roughly remember about history of the Big-Small Eye E200

- Launch S'pore around early 1996. Engine is a 2L 136bhp. Slightly under power compare to cars nowadays but it is still very OK for S'pore roads. Dreamed exective cars by many exectutives at that time...

- Facelifted in year 2000 with a powerful 2L 163bhp engine...

The looks is much smooth, sporty...

- 2003 launch New model Big Small Eye with also a powerful 163bhp engine, but only 1.8L. Can save on roadtax [sly] . The looks is much more fierce, sporty... but recently its market is pulled away by the new BMW 5-series.

Hi there,

So you are thinking of "upgrading" from APV to E200? [thumbsup]

Soem examples for you below

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2XMKMlMy-1090.html

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2XMJjt7c-1037.html

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2XMGtKtc-1105.html

The last example "SCL4083" seems a good bet

Why not go to the dealer for a test drive and see how you like the car?

Anual rd tax is about S$1,500 (Onemotoring website has barred users from checking a car's rd tax. I just cannot seem to do a search there).

Add an extra 10% rd tax surcharge every year from the 10th year onwards up to a max of 50% surcharge from the 15th year onwards.

Gd luck in your search!

The COE mercedes could be a pretty good buy actually. The square headlights one. [laugh]

I read in one of the mercedes magazines at borders that the W124 mercedes e-classes are actually very reliable capable of travelling "intergalatic mileages". Furthermore, you still can see quite a number of them on the road. [:)]

Edited by Odyssey02

The main problem as with all COE cars is finding one in good condition and has not had any serious accident.

Most W124 have had above 5 owners.

1. Now the 1996 Big Small Eyed Mercedez Benz E200 is going for 60K+. Better than buying those CEO Mercedes with square eyes.

2. Anyone knows about this E200 model? Is it reliable? How long has this model been around before replaced by the Joined Big Small Eyed ones?

Regards,

Few things to note:

1. Financial implications

Don't get involved in any accidents just after COE renewal. The car body will be almost worthless except for the pro-rated COE. That means that your depreciation can be quite high in the first few years.

2. W210 Idiosyncracies

a. The ones advertised now are the first batch of W210 manufactured in 1996. As some forumers have mentioned, this is a 136bhp engine model, with a 4-speed AT. Personally, I think it's crap. It's the same engine and gearbox in the W124 "boxy" Masterpiece model. This same combination can also be found in the C200. So you might be better off in the older W124.

b. It's only in late 1997, perhaps Sep or Oct 1997, that the same engine is now coupled with a new 5-speed gearbox. Dittos for the C200. It may be worth the wait to get this model. Still not a strong engine but the early batch hiccups have been ironed out. But due to high COE at that time, it may be quite difficult to find these models on the road nowadays.

c. In 2000, MB introduced the E200 Kompressor engine with 163bhp. While this engine was good in the initial few years, performance seemed to dip after that. Moreover, being a new Kompressor engine at that time, the engine sounded very rough and noisy even in the cabin. The current Kompressor churns out similar 163bhp but from a 1.8l engine. It's a little quieter, but still not as refined as a Lexus.

d. Common problem with the W210 (from 1996 to 2003) is the power steering fluid. There's always a leakage somewhere and your steering may become heavy over time. Also, there may be a "whistling" sound coming from the steering while driving.

I hope the above information are useful.

Can't compare a Supercharged 4 pot engine to a Lexus V6. Should compare Merc V6, like the new M272 used in E280/E350 (not the outgoing E240) to the current Lexus V6 (GS300), which IMO is better than the Lexus offerings - generally more powerful and yet frugal in FC.

The older 2L Kompressor is rough. The newer M271 1.8L Kompressor may sound a bit rough when idle, but is very smooth once the drive is on. This is due to the sound of the Kompressor corkscrew style turning, and is normal. The 4 pot is balanced by Lancaster balancers, and I can attest it is quiet.

But my fav 4 pot is still Honda's iVTEC

Edited by Vblaster_w211

Between the '96 to '99 pre facelifted E200 136bhp ... and the facelifted '00 onwards E200 Kompressor with 163bhp, which is a better bet in terms of reliability.

There are 2 versions of Kompressors producing the 163bhp. The current M271 is the winner for sure.

Bet the old E200 136bhp and the old E200K (M111, I believe) 163bhp, I'll say go for the M111 engine.

Honda's 1.8 VTEC is great producing 140bhp, and is much better option than the run of mill underpowered 1.6 we see all too common around. But it's their 2.0 that really shines [sunny]

↡ Advertisement