COE Big Small Eyed Mercedez Benz E200

Kelpie

This 1.3L car has lousy review in some web based car review. Noisy engine and road holding seem like major concerns. Too small and no lah, I'm looking at Conti.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

I think owning the old Merc E or S class (4 to 8 yrs car) is very worth... because

1) The major depreciation dip is in the first 5 years of the new car.

2) Cars have great reliability and safety.

3) Service, parts and repair are resonably cheap in S'pore.

4) High OMV and also high PARF value on the 10th year.

Edited by Ncss

Neutral Newbie

For a small Conti car, to be used as a second car and one that you can enjoy perhaps, the VW Polo GTI would be good.

Dunno if it will come to Singapore, but it's like a pocket rocket with the old Passat 1.8L turbo engine in a small shell. And that engine can be chipped too, with LTA approval! [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

hi, on 07/01/2006 classified there is a 01 E200 kompressor 4 sale @ about $80000.

The owner told me the depreciation is about $8000 per year.

If u r looking 4 a coe merc u can consider this one. [:)]

regards

1. Now the 1996 Big Small Eyed Mercedez Benz E200 is going for 60K+. Better than buying those CEO Mercedes with square eyes.

2. Anyone knows about this E200 model? Is it reliable? How long has this model been around before replaced by the Joined Big Small Eyed ones?

Regards,

As someone suggested in the forum, get the W124.

I drive a 1992 W124, now the average depreciation is about $3k+ per year (only COE value left), compared to $6k+ per year for W210. Furthermore the COE value for W210 is low, so if you scrap in a few years time, it would not worth much.

I thought of upgarding from my W124 to W210, tested and does not like it.

W210 advantages : slightly larger, but W124 is large enough anyway. Looks more modern, if you pay $1,400 to change the headlamps to clear type like W211, it looks like W211.

W210 disadvantages : quality is not good compared to W124. powerwise quite similar, as W124 (8 valve) produces 122 bhp compared to 136bhp, not much different. W124 is more solid.

If you ask those Mercedes cab drivers who driven both (currently most of the W211 cab drivers actually driven both earlier models), they would say the quality of W210 is not good. Just try closing doors of both cars and you see the different.

If you can get a good W124, its a better deal.

Hi There,

Just my 2 cents worth. sunny.gif

I just bought a W124 E200 and have been driving for the past few months. The engine is perfect and my family just love it, so spacious and comfortable. Recently, I went to my mechanic, he said the car is in execellent condition and would last for many years.

I am even thinking of renewing the COE for another 10 years. I have been driving Conti cars for ages, among all I still think Merc is the best.

If you ask me, thumbsup.gif my recommendation is go for a W124 E200, E220 or E230 thumbsup.gif

BTW, Anyone here knows where can I get the Merc OEM spare parts? I heard that we can get it from Sin Min, Paya Ubi or Waterloo?

[/color]

Any shops to recommend? I am thinking of rebuilding the whole car, as I am going to drive drivingcar.gif for at least another 10~15years. drivingcar.gif

MERHUNTER

Mercedes Benz

Getting back to Basics

"Engineered like no other car in the world"

I am not sure. I tried 95 RON for my W124, it was quite sluggish, so I am using 98 RON.

Mine is 8-valve, its slightly less powerful than then 16v, but my mechanic said the 8 valve is more reliable.

Consumption wise, it ranges from 7km/l for town use to as high as 10km/l if on highway most of the time.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

u can get it at Sam Leong Road or Waterloo street. Sin ming is more for the car repair shop spares i guess. If u need 2nd hand spares, Kranji Road has a body shop where u can get all the spares u want - Masterpiece setup etc...

I am not naming any shop names.U need to visit the location and see for yourself or PM me.

Anyway good to know u are +ve on the W124. It is a good car for cruising. I drive one too.

There are some stuff u can add to make the ride "more powerful". U can add products like EZ-stab, grounding bridge, Surbo (single or twin); Bosch 4 plugs, engine oil like schaffers, royal purple, additives like Lube control amongst other stuff.

These products have been added to my W124. Other W124 owners I know add other stuff to clean the injectors.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. Would appreciate you could tell me the exact locations to purchase 2nd Hand Spares. I would like to replace some worn out parts soon.

Hi All, sorry for replying to an old post. However, I'm thinking of purchasing a w210 and happens to see this post. The deprec cost now is consider cheaper compare to the analysis done few yrs back.

- So does a 96 W210 have alot of mechanical issue?

- anyone able to feedback any mechanics outside that is good in repairng w210 with reasonable pricing (does he allows to purchase spare part ourselves?)

But most of you are right. I still see alot of W124 around and lesser W210.

The older merz are reliable as they are uncomplicated. Older BMW's can give u hell cos their parts are expensive and they just dont last as long. They dont call it Bring More Worries for nothing [laugh] .

The Kompressors r more powerful but often have more problems. I see loads of old compressors at Merz workshops. I think the condition of the car is the most important. Buy from owner who keeps history and receipts and you shd be ok.

I presume it is the W210 series. The reliabilty and build quality of this model was the reason why MB lost some respect. It never attained the 5* safety for Europe or the US if I can remember. But it's big - the size of the W126

S class. But for value and for the age of the car , it can be considered a reasonable buy. Best if you can have a service record to refer to. Overall it is a decent car to drive on a daily basis as most mercs are.

The older merz are reliable as they are uncomplicated. Older BMW's can give u hell cos their parts are expensive and they just dont last as long. They dont call it Bring More Worries for nothing [laugh] .

The Kompressors r more powerful but often have more problems. I see loads of old compressors at Merz workshops. I think the condition of the car is the most important. Buy from owner who keeps history and receipts and you shd be ok.

major problem for 1.8L kompressor with the engine M271 E18 is that after certain mileage above 100,000km, it suffers from oil seepage which will drip into some of the tubes and out again thus obscuring the "check engine oil" sensor. the oil leak will take around $2k to $3k to fix at MBM, including changing of the tube and a brand new sensor. i have experienced this before with family's C200k.

Use to get all my parts from either Tye Soon or Golden Wall at Waterloo street. They also order for you if you have unusual models like the w123T which I owned. I have owned the w115, w123 both sedan and wagon, w126 300sel and now slk 200. Every car has given good service ( my W123's for a decade each ) and parts have been easy to procure. Now with the internet and e-bay, you can get decent parts from all over the world. I am looking for a w123 CE model or may go back to a W126 to keep.

Happy and safe driving!

Clutched

Interesting thread!! Yes, MB did lose some respect in the transition from W124 to W210

In retrospect, it may not be the build quality as much as the negative publicity in those days. There was more plastic but it doesn't feel like the W210 fared much worse. It's just that MB tried to give the impression of going forward while changing gears in cutting cost of production. Some give and take actually - in my humble opinion.

From my limited knowledge, the W210 has headlamp covers that grow opaque with age (some say it's the plastic) - that's one down. However, they make up for it with rear passenger aircon (if I'm not wrong) That's really something.

Personally I own a W124 but I think the W210 shares some of the W124's characteristics such as reliability and they make quite a good ride. The only main difference is whether you are really willing to shell out the extra money for the round headlamps and a 5 speed transmission.

↡ Advertisement