Chevalot Optra ?? what problem

Saggi

thinking to change my corolla to this chevalot Optra.. most of all my friz jaws drop when they heard me..

that is a problem car.. no power.. Fuel drinker.. no resales value.. no body value when scrap... etc..

seems that i didnt get any good comment on it except the interior space..

any chevolet to advise... or is it Ja bo leh ?

↡ Advertisement

Power wise is ok la.

This car is slightly more thirsty.

Nwdays where got re-sale value. U buy cheap sell cheap, u buy more expensive models like Honda then u got abit higher re-sale value lo.

No body value cos no demand I suppose. Tis I'm nt so sure. Mayb some bro here who r dealers can comment on Chevy's body value [:)]

Altis purchase value is high and to resale value is also high and the altis body value I thinks is abit higher than OPTRA. I heard that the corolla japan made value and body value can fetch better value, and altis is not that good lor.

As been a OPTRA driver (switch from 2001 corolla to OPTRA) I feel the OPTRA stablity is good and also the leg room and the read seat altis cannot fold but OPTRA can. As for the FC is not to bad too compare to my previous corolla (bad have MOD and the FC is not to bad ma). I bought this car from a friend working there with freebies.

Edited by Tann

od cse but only worry is the FC... and maintence as some chavelot guys on web complain razzy noise from door, cannot start in the morning , fuel guage problem etc... all this is basic issue which i thin it should not be there in this car..or should not happen..

I am not an expert in cars, but I feel buying a car, since you pay so much for it, go with something you will love. Decide what factors are important to you when you buy a car.. then fix a budget.. then go out and look for one...

Why is "value" or "resale value" the main criteria of considering a car ? The purpose of buying car is to resell it ?

Afterall, most people scrap cars anyway.... when I want to buy a car, I make sure I am financially able to support it ; the supposed "higher value" is not going to mean much to me, when I am already paying almost 80k in total for the whole car (plus interest and stuff). What is another 2k ? Treat it as fluctuation in COE lor.

How do you define value of "LV" or "Prada" to me , when you give me for free, I will also never use it ?

For someone who likes a Benz, or a BMW, does the " Japanese have higher resale value" counts ? Does the higher FC counts ? No, they are enjoying the comfort it brings.

For that matter, FC is also another thing that many will talk about. For me, doesn't matter. Petrol price high, want to count all the cents, have so much headache, then don't buy car, buy 10-year government bonds better than bidding for the stupid 10-year COE.

Any car, will have pros and cons. Also, pros and cons may change depending on personal preference.

So what when my friends or colleagues say it is a Daewoo car, a Korean car, no pride, not branded, high in maitnenance, easily breakdown, etc. These are just their "opinion". My Optra served me fine, and good. I take care of it (just the regular maintenance type), it takes care of me.

So what if I am paying more for higher FC ?

I love the car, I like the handling, it is heavier, and I do have some initial problems with it, but I still like it.

I like the interior space, I like the outlook, and I like the rear seat space. I like my passengers to feel comfortable.

Yes, it is not so common, also means not so many "accessories" and "mods" that will make me spend more money on.

It is a car that you must feel comfortable with. Your friends buy what they want. You buy what you want.

If your friend tell you this "Tag Hauer" or that "Rolex" good resale value, would you still buy it, if you dun even like the watch-face or the design ?

Buying a car is for convenience and to make me happy. Afterall, isn't that the purpose of materialism ? to make me happy ? Of course I will buy a car that I like. Why spend so much money already, and still want to be unhappy and worry about resale value, FC, scratches, etc...

I am willing to spend money for the luxury. If I want to be kiam about all these, I might as well take the world class public transport and save more money for my retirement.

Just my opinion - I have always been a non-conformist.

I think if you are out to find complains, sure can find. I am sure all makes and brands will have.

I only had one "high engine idling" problem, which was solved by SA, and only needed to go down once.

I never hand the infamous fuel gauge problem.

I never had battery problems.

I never had cannot-start-in-the-morning problem.

I never had the cricket in the Air-con problem.

I never had rattling door problem.

Maybe that is why I love my Optra ?

But I did have the following problem :

- headlights bulb blow

- headlight assembly interior dirt/fog problem

- higher FC than other Optras

- juddering wipers.

I don't think they are big issues, and even though I had some inconveniences and cursing and swearing why the ligh bulb blow so fast, I still love my car.. (haha.. I talk like as though it is my wife.. come to think of it, it is the most expensive thing I paid for in my life so far)

By the way, I had my Optra for more than 1.5 years already.

muumm...so far the comment from current chavvelot driver seems okay.. all those issue..not so big.. of cost i do concern FC as i do drive and travel alot..

thanks guys !! [wave]

52K optra vs 57K Altis... 5K different which give me better FC and comfort in term of low maintance... [gossip][hur]

well , let see how things go.. alsoafriad might be posted to oversea ... so keeping my 7yr old car.. if posted , and sell/scrap anytime.. if get new car.. blackeye lose in depreciation.. [rifle]

personally i find the car value for money with the new facelift [drivingcar] , but the steering wheel abit funy when corner..not use to the tight spacefor my finger to steer

If you are afraid of getting posted overseas and the car will burn you, an Optra or any new car in fact will not be advisable. See and hunt around for a reasonably priced PARF car. They are way cheaper and the previous owner most likely have borne the brunt of the depreciation.

Hi, I am an optra owner since June'05. I didn't experience any of the problems raised here. Maybe I am the only owner out there or simply most don't have such problems.

Sometimes, it is all in your head. I have driven a proton wira and a nissan sunny both auto. To me, the proton is much powerful than the nissan. My experience is through driving in Malaysia highway not our city road. Anyone out beg to differs?

Noise? well, not sure with those cars above $150k, but all the cars I owned at one time or another have slight noise here and there. I would be very surprised if any manufacture out there can't solve minor problems such as fused lights if they can design and roll out thousand of cars each year!

Any brand would have 1 out of 100 or even 1000 that has defects that you simply can't totally eliminate. If that is a Printed Circuit board, usually you will throw it away! So just don't buy that particular one. hahaha

Ooi...you work for GM or Starsauto ? [laugh][laugh]

Yeah...fair statement ! Pay peanuts you get monkeys, pay bananas you get Baboon, so don't set your expectation too high ! The Optra comparatively speaking, is very good value for money paid !

CBX

Edited by Cbx750p

I am an optra driver for 1yr plus. So far very few problems. Never had those that were mentioned by your friends. Anyway the service at SA has improved alot in a space of 1 yr and boy we dont have to queue like crazy for servicing. The car is not so common on the roads and it looks, drive and handle alot better than the Altis. Sure FC is higher but it is also alot chaper. Buy cheap next time sell also sell cheap...Resale value all nonsense one la...buy cheap also mean lower loan lower interest. [thumbsup]

hello Accenture..

thanks for your comment... but now it seem the price of Altis and Optra5 only 4K different.. as BM has reduced the price..

what is the FC you are getting now..

in term of internal room space.. i not sure which got better room space..

....but Altis do not have Traction Control whereas Optra5 have it standard ! It also have steering wheel radio control, sportier handling than Optra or Altis and looks hell of a lot hotter than the saloons ! But, have a very small boot ! If you don't have much to lug around, that the Optra5 is a nice car to drive around.

CBX

Traction control.. maybe never use it..I guess..

I find the car is okay but not the price..should be at least 5K cheaper from Altis.

only worry thing is the FC... i did ask some of the guys owner in petrol koisk if i happen to see them.. all give same comment... hahhaa.. [sweatdrop]

When you are in Bangkok, you see so many Altis, you get confused if you are in Toyota Taxi city ! Back in Singapore, the Altis is so common, you can see them every other corner and roads ! So common that it is like driving a Wira or Saga in Malaysia. Nice to have some similar in price, handles better but yet looks hell of lot better !

CBX