Taken to Court

Kelpie

Chance at the following comments on Santa Fe from www.carsurvey.org.

Do you know about this court case and whether it is indeed true?

"Poor Fuel Economy?

Yup that is absolutely PAR for the course. Hyundai has done three things.

1) Overstated the horsepower by 10%

2) Calibrated the speedometer to be 10% higher

3) Overstated the fuel economy by 10%

The first point is a known point and was taken to court. The second is coming out just now. The third has had no legal actions, but EVERYONE I talk to mentions how bad on gas Hyundai Vehicles are.

One note though.. Fuel Economy and Safety ratings are inversely related. The Santa Fe is bad on gas, but considered much safer than many other vehicles. -I should know I was rear-ended two weeks ago.

As far as the Santa Fe having little storage. Don't totally agree. It is by no means huge. But it is one of the bigger ones in the class (SMALL SUV)."

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

1. It seems that the newer Korean cars bhp are increasing so not sure whether it is a case of overstating.

2. I think people in the west are more vocal and tend to be more concerned about customer service and value of their purchases.

Regards,

The laws & courts in the west r very different than the "east".

There they prosecute companies that mislead the consumers.

In the "east", it's fair game to con the consumers as the gharmen also do it so they close one or even two eyes to companies doing it.

Something like u don't tell on me & I won't tell on you. Let's all get rich together.

4 issues...

for 1) how was that calculated as hyundai uses an engine dyno, i doubt anybody would have the time to remove the engine to measure it.

for 2) Legally a speedo can have up to a 10% error rate.

for 3) they'll just blame it on your foot.

as for the economy vs safety being inversely related... well errm maybe safetly is loosely inversely related to economy, but economy is definately not inversly related to safety (i.e. just because its not economical, it may not be safe).

Brudder.... u have something against hyundai izzit [laugh][laugh]

Last time NF Sonata....now Santa Fe [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

But then, if its true.... then relly jialat liao.... but on the other hand. Which is the institution tat put a chop of approval on those figures??? I tot there should be a regulator or something for all these statment/data rite???

1. Not quite, I'm hopping that the cars would improve to the point that is good on the inside and good on the outside. There is still a gap and I'm constantly monitoring. However, to be taken to court on bhp misrepresentation is something unheard of, at least for me. Well, at least I bother.

2. By the way, I didn't mention that Sonata is entirely bad, at least it has the look. It needs improvement on the inside.

Regards,

1. Which paper? Common sense tell you 23/24 is not something achievable under normal circumstances.

2. Anyway, the Korean also lied about their research on clone cell technology. What is new?

Regards,

If the Hyundai Sonata 2.4 auto in the Shell Mileage challenge last year can achieve 36km/l, then I think the fuel sipping Honda Jazz should be achieving 50km/l [;)]

4 issues...

for 1) how was that calculated as hyundai uses an engine dyno, i doubt anybody would have the time to remove the engine to measure it.

for 2) Legally a speedo can have up to a 10% error rate.

for 3) they'll just blame it on your foot.

as for the economy vs safety being inversely related... well errm maybe safetly is loosely inversely related to economy, but economy is definately not inversly related to safety (i.e. just because its not economical, it may not be safe).

10% error rate [shocked] Tat's quite alot. When my speedo reads 100km/hr that means it could b either 90km/hr or 1110km/hr? [:/]

So to say the accuracy will b worse if the owner change to a +2 size rims.

10% variance is a bit on the high side. Just imagine so many people spent so much on accessories trying to gain a few extra bhp.

Regards,

1. It seems that the newer Korean cars bhp are increasing so not sure whether it is a case of overstating.

2. I think people in the west are more vocal and tend to be more concerned about customer service and value of their purchases. Regards,

not juz koreans, japs oso doing it..... thinking they r covered by this fine prints saying "specifications subject to change without prior notice" [shakehead][shakehead] [shakehead] Edited by Normal_aspirated