Proud of your RIMS? Post it HERE!

Chneo1982

Ill inform them not bcos want to claim the wheels, is instead if anything happen don't want them to deny claims bcos u changed wheels

Just called my insurance company (AXA) and asked.

They specifically said that any new rims will be covered by the accessories 'add-on'. But if I don't care about insuring the rims, then it won't void warranty. All they will pay for is to return the car to stock rims (to the state when the car was insured). Which is ironic, because the stock rims actually cost more than aftermarket rims.

I'm also curious about everyone's views on purchasing OEM rims/tyres off carousell from shops that have dekitted them for people? With so many Japanese manufacturers having the same PCD and similar offset, you can mix and match between brands (excluding changing the centre cap).

Especially for larger sized rims (18" and above), it's much cheaper to purchase someone's dekitted oem rims. If you can get rims and tyres from people that dekitted direct from the showroom. , then it's a much cheaper deal, because they are new.

The thing I like about this is you pretty much you're getting a high quality rim (unlike cheap imitations), albeit a heavy rim. But given that most 18"/19"/20" rims from reputable manufacturers cost anywhere between $500 to $2k per rim, it's pretty good deal when you can get a set of four rims + new tyres for between $800 - $2k.

↡ Advertisement

They specifically said that any new rims will be covered by the accessories 'add-on'. But if I don't care about insuring the rims, then it won't void warranty. All they will pay for is to return the car to stock rims (to the state when the car was insured). Which is ironic, because the stock rims actually cost more than aftermarket rims.

I'm also curious about everyone's views on purchasing OEM rims/tyres off carousell from shops that have dekitted them for people? With so many Japanese manufacturers having the same PCD and similar offset, you can mix and match between brands (excluding changing the centre cap).

Especially for larger sized rims (18" and above), it's much cheaper to purchase someone's dekitted oem rims. If you can get rims and tyres from people that dekitted direct from the showroom. , then it's a much cheaper deal, because they are new.

The thing I like about this is you pretty much you're getting a high quality rim (unlike cheap imitations), albeit a heavy rim. But given that most 18"/19"/20" rims from reputable manufacturers cost anywhere between $500 to $2k per rim, it's pretty good deal when you can get a set of four rims + new tyres for between $800 - $2k.

But how do u know what's the value of your stock rims?

Normally people buy aftermarket rims because they want their rims to be different from OEM (look different) and stand our from other models having the same OEM rims. I'm currently waiting for my 17" weddsport rims to arrive hopefully in the next few weeks! Fingers crossed.

I can't say much about the insurance part.

The OEM rims are expensive because the ADs price them to be. Most are in fact very common aluminium cast rim. Some might be made by Vossen or bbs (Merc and bmw), and some are made by enkei (subaru). if u check the aftermarket prices for cast rims from these brands, can be around $300-400 for 18''.

I was asking a sales guy the price of a cast rim from AD, he told me cost 6k, go buy outside better. for 6k, i can get very good flow formed or even forged rims

I think no issue with buying dekitted, straight from showroom rim and tyre, if it happens to be something u like. 

but i guess the impression is it is used. my dad used to say the moment u drive ur new car out of the showroom, it's consider used car haha

Some ppl may not like that feeling of using used rims and tyres as you don't know how truthful the tyre shop or the seller is

(edited)

nomally orginal stock rims( esp branded conti brand ) is very heavy

but 'much stronger' then even those branded oem rims.

they are able to take pot hole bumps accident much better.

Edited by Beregond

nomally orginal stock rims( esp branded conti brand ) is very heavy

but 'much stronger' then even those branded oem rims.

they are able to take pot hole bumps accident much better.

i see, i didnt know that.

But 6k for a original cast stock 19'' rim really shocked me. No way will i pay that.

haven't add tyres, haha

i see, i didnt know that.

But 6k for a original cast stock 19'' rim really shocked me. No way will i pay that.

haven't add tyres, haha

well. if u compare to the cost of the car its reasonable ma. :XD:

cannot be the whole car cost 300k ,

the rim cost 500 each only

well. if u compare to the cost of the car its reasonable ma. :XD:

cannot be the whole car cost 300k ,

the rim cost 500 each only

ya la, i mean i won't pay 6k for cast rims. if my car is 300k, i will buy forged rims hahahaha

ya la, i mean i won't pay 6k for cast rims. if my car is 300k, i will buy forged rims hahahaha

From my perspective, I'm tossing up the idea of buying rims.

I'm not ready to drop $4k+ on rims and tyres. I'm also not willing to skimp on safety. Unknown brands are too varied in quality. I know that factory rims are "safe" because they have to be to represent the manufacturer. But equally they aren't "high-tech" (e.g heavy etc).

So that middleground seems to be factory rims sold as used. Basically one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I also tend to like factory designs better than aftermarket designs. I tend to find the aftermarket designs are too aggressive. I want to keep a stock look, and avoid any boy racer look.

In the end, I did more research and the cons outweigh the benefits. I want to go from 18" to 20" (I have an SUV), but the increased weight, drop in comfort and performance, high cost (anything over 18" and costs increase exponentially) and risk to warranty, just don't justify the "unique look". Better off going with early settlement of loan, where I will actually save a few grand over the long term.

From my perspective, I'm tossing up the idea of buying rims.

I'm not ready to drop $4k+ on rims and tyres. I'm also not willing to skimp on safety. Unknown brands are too varied in quality. I know that factory rims are "safe" because they have to be to represent the manufacturer. But equally they aren't "high-tech" (e.g heavy etc).

So that middleground seems to be factory rims sold as used. Basically one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I also tend to like factory designs better than aftermarket designs. I tend to find the aftermarket designs are too aggressive. I want to keep a stock look, and avoid any boy racer look.

In the end, I did more research and the cons outweigh the benefits. I want to go from 18" to 20" (I have an SUV), but the increased weight, drop in comfort and performance, high cost (anything over 18" and costs increase exponentially) and risk to warranty, just don't justify the "unique look". Better off going with early settlement of loan, where I will actually save a few grand over the long term.

yup it's a very individual thing. we all have our own threshold. 

i was also wary of choosing unknown aftermarket rims.

after some research, i finally changed my rims from 18'' to 19'' and was glad the 19'' rim was actually 1.5kg lighter each (from a reputable brand). not significant but at least i didn't add weight.

it's a rim i like a lot, no regrets at all. 

again, nothing wrong with straight from showroom rims and tyre, just wary of dishonest sellers 

• Praise 1

yup it's a very individual thing. we all have our own threshold.

i was also wary of choosing unknown aftermarket rims.

after some research, i finally changed my rims from 18'' to 19'' and was glad the 19'' rim was actually 1.5kg lighter each (from a reputable brand). not significant but at least i didn't add weight.

it's a rim i like a lot, no regrets at all.

again, nothing wrong with straight from showroom rims and tyre, just wary of dishonest sellers

I was looking at 20inch rims from a cx9 with brand new factory tyres. Loved the look of them.

Problem is those wheels are 18kg each! And although the tyres are new, factory fitted tyres tend to be crap.

Will stick to my factory 18's until I need to change tyres. Then I'll look into purchasing new rims with tyres.

I was looking at 20inch rims from a cx9 with brand new factory tyres. Loved the look of them.

Problem is those wheels are 18kg each! And although the tyres are new, factory fitted tyres tend to be crap.

Will stick to my factory 18's until I need to change tyres. Then I'll look into purchasing new rims with tyres.

18kg is hefty! Is your car new? Your rims and tyres may fetch better trade in price.

My car rims are currently 15 inch stock from AD as I bought base model. Was wondering if it is possible to buy the 17 inch stock (from same model, but higher spec) from AD?

My car rims are currently 15 inch stock from AD as I bought base model. Was wondering if it is possible to buy the 17 inch stock (from same model, but higher spec) from AD?

U mean bigger rims from the exact same car? No issue

There shd be a label on the driver door which states the tyre and rim size that your car can use