Proud of your RIMS? Post it HERE!

Chneo1982

Hi all, I have a noob question. My Mazda 3 BP runs stock 18x7 ET45 rims and 215/45R18 tyres. I was thinking of getting new rims which are 18x8 and either 225/45R18 or 235/40R18 tyres to minimise changes in overall wheel diameter. I understand that there are factors that can affect whether I can increase the rim width, like suspension clearance, wheel well clearance and that kind of thing. Is there any way of knowing whether wider rims will fit and/or cause problems, short of buying new rims and finding out there and then? Would I need to change the wheel offset if I increase the rim width? Been reading up about this but there doesn't seem to be much guidance about how to determine wider rim compatibility. Thanks much

Turbocharged
On 5/30/2021 at 2:37 PM, too456 said:

Hi all, I have a noob question. My Mazda 3 BP runs stock 18x7 ET45 rims and 215/45R18 tyres. I was thinking of getting new rims which are 18x8 and either 225/45R18 or 235/40R18 tyres to minimise changes in overall wheel diameter. I understand that there are factors that can affect whether I can increase the rim width, like suspension clearance, wheel well clearance and that kind of thing. Is there any way of knowing whether wider rims will fit and/or cause problems, short of buying new rims and finding out there and then? Would I need to change the wheel offset if I increase the rim width? Been reading up about this but there doesn't seem to be much guidance about how to determine wider rim compatibility. Thanks much

If the new rim has a wider cross section width that the offset/ET will have to reduce so that the inner face of the rim will not hit the suspension.

For example if you change to 18" x 8J, the new offset most likely have to be less than 45, hence maybe ET35 for 8J rim.

Turbocharged
On 5/30/2021 at 2:37 PM, too456 said:

I thought Mazda 3 OEM rims are already very stylo and nice, why want to change such good rims?

On 5/31/2021 at 4:59 PM, DOBIEMKZ said:

If the new rim has a wider cross section width that the offset/ET will have to reduce so that the inner face of the rim will not hit the suspension.

For example if you change to 18" x 8J, the new offset most likely have to be less than 45, hence maybe ET35 for 8J rim.

Hmm, I see. But if there is sufficient clearance then I guess ET45 might still work. Guess I'll have to go find out what the current clearance is and whether any adjustments to the offset have to be made.

On 5/31/2021 at 5:03 PM, DOBIEMKZ said:

I thought Mazda 3 OEM rims are already very stylo and nice, why want to change such good rims?

Nice is nice la... but I've seen other rims that I've really taken a liking to 🙂

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, too456 said:

Hmm, I see. But if there is sufficient clearance then I guess ET45 might still work. Guess I'll have to go find out what the current clearance is and whether any adjustments to the offset have to be made.

Nice is nice la... but I've seen other rims that I've really taken a liking to 🙂

Yes, if there is sufficient clearance then 18" x 8J x ET45 may be fine.
I googled that the absolute maximum official rim size for your Mazda 3 model (albeit a higher engine cc variant, but same platform) is 19" x 8J x ET40, tire size is 235/35/19; for 18" rim I only saw up to 7.5J (officially speaking). So it seems that in their official position, rim of cross section of 8J is possible but preferably the offset ET has to be reduced. Because you also need allowance when the wheels are turned, not only in the straight ahead position.

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, PlasticResinHeroes said:

@DOBIEMKZ no exp bro, but I can only afford budget rims. Tyres are 17”, made in Thailand so price not too pain..

But your rims look atas! 👍🙂

And Michelin tyres even Thailand made I don't are cheap. Generally I think the brand commands a price premium over most others.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

@DOBIEMKZ no exp bro, but I can only afford budget rims. Tyres are 17”, made in Thailand so price not too pain..

The rims and tyres suit your car very well👍, give it some differentiation over others.😁

• Praise 1

36 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

But your rims look atas! 👍🙂

And Michelin tyres even Thailand made I don't are cheap. Generally I think the brand commands a price premium over most others.

35 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

The rims and tyres suit your car very well👍, give it some differentiation over others.😁

Kind words bro thank you. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Turbocharged

Kind words bro thank you. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

They are indeed nice!😁

But for me if I am to change rims next time, I will go for those single 5-, 6- or 7-spoke ones because now my veh is on triple 5-spoke rims and they are a chore to clean because of many gaps between the spokes and also hard to reach to clean the inner circumference just behind the face of the rims.

• Praise 1

(edited)

question if my stock rim is 6.5Jx16 ET45 with pcd of  5x114.3 , will 16x7.0 ET35 PCD 5x114.3 fit without much issues ?

ET  is off , and 6.5 vs 7.0 should not be too much difference?

Edited by Confusedboi

Turbocharged
5 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

question if my stock rim is 6.5Jx16 ET45 with pcd of  5x114.3 , will 16x7.0 ET35 PCD 5x114.3 fit without much issues ?

ET  is off , and 6.5 vs 7.0 should not be too much difference?

Should be able to fit, since rim width has increased, the lower ET of new rim will somehow offset the incursion of the new wider rim towards the suspension component.

Since the ET increases by 0.5J that is 12.7mm, the inner rim and outer rim each increases by 6.35mm. As ET decreases by 10mm, the nett effect is the new rim inner face moves out by 3.65mm. So i think at this rate, it will fit fine.

47 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Should be able to fit, since rim width has increased, the lower ET of new rim will somehow offset the incursion of the new wider rim towards the suspension component.

Since the ET increases by 0.5J that is 12.7mm, the inner rim and outer rim each increases by 6.35mm. As ET decreases by 10mm, the nett effect is the new rim inner face moves out by 3.65mm. So i think at this rate, it will fit fine.

oh okay, noted for the detailed info.

Thank you

Turbocharged
9 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

oh okay, noted for the detailed info.

Thank you

Bear in mind that the whole face and tyre outer side will look more flushed with the car bodywork.

Neutral Newbie

Any comments on the stock black rim (16 inches) that comes with Hyundai Avante S? How much to upgrade to the 17 inches (Elite) ? Which shop has it? 

↡ Advertisement