Renault Megane High Scrap Value

Vit4wd

Neutral Newbie

What I understand about body value is this.

When your car is to be de-registered for export, the value that it will fetch depends on its demand in the place it is to be exported to. If demand over there is high, then dealers will be willing to pay more for it. Factors include age of car (less than 3 years can go certain countries and so on), make and model (my civic ES fetch $8k above paper value) etc.

Note that paper value comes from the LTA so dealer actually only has to consider shipping cost, admin cost. Say they pay $9k for the megane, plus shipping and admin, comes up to say $11k. If that place people are willing to pay S$18k for 2 year old megane, why not? Just an example. Some times they pay for the body just for spare parts!

Neutral Newbie

Building a car that is safe does not mean it will have good build quality.

Japanese are renowed for their QC, as such, they always come out tops in customer satisfaction surveys

Japanese are known for their reliability, not build quality.

For interior quality, choice of materials, design and ergonomics, Audi is a leader.

For vehicle dynamics quality, BMW is the leader

For Engine performance and design, usually, BMW or Honda are leaders

For small panel gaps, VAG are leaders

For car safety quality, the French are leaders.

For design quality, this is subjective, but Alfa seems to be the current leader

for most japs, they fall short of the above quality items but score well on product reliability.

of course, if you have less electronic gizmos, less varied choice of materials in the dash, and less stuff, there will be less that can go wrong.

Neutral Newbie

i think there is little escaping the gizmos on our rides .. [sweatdrop]

and that is the trend with carmakers too.. [cool]

lotus then ? [flowerface]

French cars are renowed for their poor built quality. Dun think it can fetch that high.

sweeping comment.... [thumbsdown]

S$9000 for a 2 years 8 months Renault Megane Body, in my opinion, is overstated. A second parts dealer who buys the car body to strip it down to individual parts for reseller is likely to offer about S$2,000 at most.

But in this case here the car was sold as a second hand or used car to a buyer who, maybe, likes everything that is French thus willing to accept the offer price. [sly]