Jeremy Clarkson on the Alfa159

Cool_jazz

Neutral Newbie

Alfa Romeo 159By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times

You're dead meat, top gun

0,,279684,00.jpg0,,133380,00.giftrans.gif

Model Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS Lusso trans.gif0,,133380,00.gif0,,133380,00.gif0,,133380,00.gif0,,133380,00.giftrans.gif

Engine type 2198cc, four cylinders trans.gifPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Power 185bhp @ 6500rpm Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Torque 170 lb ft @ 4500rpm Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Transmission Six-speed manual Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Fuel 30.1mpg (combined cycle) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

CO

Edited by Cool_jazz
↡ Advertisement

review in this month's Autocar. Alfa 159 vs BMW 3 series vs Lexus IS

BMW the better driver's car and winner overall.

Alfa, close in terms of driving dynamics to BMW, best exterior and interior.

It was a toss up between the two, both being great choices. BMW just is that Ultimate Driving Machine.

BMW the most roomy, followed closely by Alfa. But both not great in space if considering a family car, Audi A4 offers more room.

The 159 is a great car from Alfa [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Lexus was behind in almost all categories... including rear space.......quite surprising... [thumbsdown]

Dont have to believe everything Jeremy Clarkson says what..I personally find the present Vectra pretty good..even though he says its not..laugh.gif

Regret? no leh..he is just justifying his choice..sly.giftongue.gif

Neutral Newbie

Agree - while I do enjoy Top Gear and the antics they get into, I find sometimes they can be very biased.

At the end of the day, I guess you buy more with your heart (although many wld claim otherwise) ... else no one will buy car in Singapore and or we'll only see Picanto(s) running everywhere.

[flowerface]

PS: the ALfa 159 looks awesome ... unfortunately still suffers from the ngative image from yester-years ...

Neutral Newbie

that's why some fortunate ones of us get to buy fairly new models being re-processed or owners need to selll becos cannot maintain !!

hahaha ...

[lipsrsealed]

Yes agree, and I agree also that the 159 is really stunning! Saw a black one in Italy last year, couldnt stop looking at it..and drooling all over its windows laugh.gif

Neutral Newbie

some cars look fab on website and phots but actual car just fall short ... and vice versa.

Since you saw the actual one ... and in black and you drooling, so must be something huh ? kekeke ...

the rationale was let the 159 'settle' for reliability issues elsewhere 1st. anyway, its august which is really coming soon...EA website already have.

review sounds really impressive...but JC belongs to a different kinda car fan. he's def not yr man in the street common sense prevails kinda reviewer. but the thing is the 159 seems to encompass both the crazy and the rational. most ppl have bought alfas bcos they're asking for trouble. the reward for that trouble...can't help but say this, more exciting than its competitors. finally, it seems theres gona be the best of both.

but a few factors stand in the way i believe- in SG context. i suppose JC tested a 6 speed manual. im not sure being in selespeed, the 159 will sell well here for obvious reasons. i even heard that the US market will sell it as normal auto (not sure of this though). after several years in SG, ppl must have heard more selespeed stories n im not sure its something our perfectionist market can put up with. not that the 159 is wrong as a manual...in fact that's probably the most fun way to drive an alfa. but things are just different here. on a personal note, if the price is reasonable, i would def get it or if not, wait for it to age and get it used. but my gut feeling is it would be near bmw pricing.

Neutral Newbie
review in this month's Autocar. Alfa 159 vs BMW 3 series vs Lexus IS

BMW the better driver's car and winner overall.

Alfa, close in terms of driving dynamics to BMW, best exterior and interior.

It was a toss up between the two, both being great choices. BMW just is that Ultimate Driving Machine.

BMW the most roomy, followed closely by Alfa. But both not great in space if considering a family car, Audi A4 offers more room.

The 159 is a great car from Alfa thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Lexus was behind in almost all categories... including rear space.......quite surprising... thumbsdown.gif

Yeap. Read that. For a FWD to come close to a RWD in handling dynamics is really something. thumbsup.gif

↡ Advertisement