Trajet brake suffered overheat on the way down to genting.

Greddy82

any of u jet owners out there suffered this symtoms... i gotta stop once to cool down my brake when i begin downhill journey. the brake went spongy and ineefective 10 min into my decents. perhaps the oem brakepad heat limit is low. there were only 3 of us in the car tho. i know the jet weight is heavy and all but 10- 15 mins of downhill??

↡ Advertisement

not surprising..........the brake fluid start to freeze therefore u wont feel any braking effect.........use engine braking....for auto drop shift to the lowest gear....should be L1

So U learnt the lesson ? Going down hill / slope that are long winding must never apply brake all the way down. Should anticipate speed & need to downshift gear be it Auto or manu. Worst part of the slope at times may even need to go gear ONE/ LOW to slow down the momentum.

Keep the veh at safe speed .

Experience drivers will pass by and said " HUH ! another rooky !" Pardon for the comment but was true s once I went the GT on LWend holidays & came across many MY SG veh stopped by the side fanning the wheels !!

Edited by Tanjkp

Neutral Newbie

I didnt learn it.. hahaa.. i always apply low gear when going down long slopes. But you can see a lot of cars with their brakes smoking.

any of u jet owners out there suffered this symtoms... i gotta stop once to cool down my brake when i begin downhill journey. the brake went spongy and ineefective 10 min into my decents. perhaps the oem brakepad heat limit is low. there were only 3 of us in the car tho. i know the jet weight is heavy and all but 10- 15 mins of downhill??

How long have your brake fluid been in your ride? You need to change your brake fluid min every 2 yr.

but he said the brake feel spongy........i believe the brake fluid was cold.....and by the looks he press the brake all the way...it overheated

Neutral Newbie

It happens when u brake too hard and too long... this causes the brake fluid to boil/heat up, causing bubbles. Bubbles in the system=lost/reduce of pressure. Thus you feel the pedal spongy.

i may have pressed the brake a tad too long without realising it.. i know its a no no when venturing downhill... well its an experience indeed..

Neutral Newbie

Well... glad you and ur ride are ok and you realise your brakes were failing early. :) How did you like Genting? I love only the cool climate. Not into the theme park though.

it was great.. its been a long time since i last went there.. even tho i didnt stayed overnight it was still fun. the climate when i got up to the summit was magnificent.. cool and foggy cos i think it rained earlier. and so it was a welcoming sight. [thumbsup][thumbsup]