Sinota/Simota VS Hurricane -- Drop-In Air Filter..

Eazterence

Neutral Newbie

how can they guarantee against water entering yr engine? if u do CAI and u pull the tube very low, then kana minir flood, water will go in and even if u stock air filter, also no use wat. But of course, stock air filter can absorb more water b4 leaking since it's like cotton material. If u are using the stock air intake, it shd be safe from minor floods n heavy rain.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

CAI? haha... better don't start car if got CAI done lor. Otherwise, paper filter also got big problem. [laugh]

I came across one of a driver have CAI done with open pod filter. During the raining day, he use a masking tape to cover up his CAI opening. Good idea leh. [thumbsup]

Hi, Below was extracted from the VOGS Forum (Vios Owner Group S'pore). This was a very well done job with a lot of effort put in to differential the 3 brand of SS filter in locate market. Those pictures will tell the truth on the claiming in terms of micron and mesh count level. Which brand is telling the truth. UTR Claim 80micron, similarly as what was claimed by Hurricane. But in fact, it can really tells that Hurricane's quality and claimed is far better than the rest. It's up to you to judge, which filter is tell you the truth of better filtration as everyone of us know that, filtration is important and even it can't compare with paper filter. Since we are going to use a something the compromise with power by replacing the drop in filter element, than should the filtration be a concern too? -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Due to popular demand, here are comparison pics between the 3 famous SS drop in filters. Due to pic size, it's better to click on the links, open them and then save them to your pc, then open one by one to compare.

UTR

UTR-1-th.JPG UTR_clip-1-th.JPG UTR_clip_2-1-th.JPG

Simota

Simota-2-th.JPG simota_clip2-1-th.JPG

Hurricane

Hurricane-2-th.JPG Hurricane_clip-1-th.JPG Hurricane_clip3-1-th.JPG

Full Comparison(Simota is the bottom right)

Full_comparison-1-th.JPG

Pls arrive at your own conclusions, thank you.

can upz the photos again? i was super late to visit this thread [:/]

Neutral Newbie

thank you!!! [thumbsup]

me using simota now.. so thinking hard, whether to mod back to stock air filter [lipsrsealed]

The power and acceleration is [thumbsup] but worried about filtration...

any side effects if the dust are not properly filtered? where would they end up to? the engine itself? [smallcry]

Neutral Newbie

well,

bigger pore size filter will not only make the dirt passes throught easily. But also as per mentioned by bros here... oil will get dirty faster than before and also shortern of the engine life spend. Another thing is that, bigger pore size filter will somehow cause low end to be abit suffer as compare to a finer one.

That is why Hurricane's filter is more finer in filtration.

Infact, how true whether can a above 80 microns stainless steel filter causes the damage to the engine.. only time can tell. Coz i have relative in M'sia using a old stainless steel open pod which is also about 80 microns for more than 5 years on his proton. And his engine is as quiet as my 1 year old ride. [;)]

my advise is, if you really have concern about the filtration issue. Paper filter would be the best. Have it inspect and change it regularly would help.

dun know... but i feel the car really suddenly very power... i inted to drive this ride for sometime.. thinking i want to go back to stock air filter liaoz [laugh]

getting it from ric tat later... selling my 1 day simota SS air filter... $45, anyone?

Neutral Newbie

switching back you will feel the car going to be sluggish feeling. But gotto get use of it over the time.

btw, you must post the car model for the filter that you wan to sell mah.. other wise, how ppl know. [laugh]

post into the classified folder lor. [;)]

wad's ur mileage? toyota engine very hardy la... [;)]

my dad's prev camry (now still on camry [rolleyes][rolleyes] ) ran for 170k kms. i believe he travels more than u, so i shd say it'ss worth of mileage under ur use..

his OCI, sad to say, not very consistent. running on 15W60 semi-synthetic oil. engine still very smooth running with no vibration and very decent FC for such a porky car [nod]

if u are really bothered by the filtration, just use el-cheapo oil and run 5K OCI [;)].

eh u wanna sell???!

just use la.. in the long run u will save on paper filters (simota just need to rinse every now and then) and maybe FC will improve unless u HRF because of the newfound power like i did.. [laugh]

not that my car has much power even after i added this filter [laugh]

Bro, if you are worry about the filtration thingy jus change the oil 1K or 1.5K earlier [;)]

Modern engines are quite sturdy one and can last many long years [;)]

You think it is made of 'Dou Hua' si bo [laugh][laugh][laugh][;)]

dun know... but i feel the car really suddenly very power... i inted to drive this ride for sometime.. thinking i want to go back to stock air filter liaoz [laugh]

getting it from ric tat later... selling my 1 day simota SS air filter... $45, anyone?

Hi Weixiang_06, I have been using Simota high performance drop-in air filter for all my cars and they really work. But of course, one will either not feel or felt very little effect on the car inprovement just by replacing the filter.

As I have replaced/added certain stock components to performance ones on my Lancer, I dare say that I have no regret in what I did as I love every moment driving the car.

The car's acceleration is fast, light throttle and zippy especially when overtaking another car. By stepping a little of the throttle to 100km/hr, the rpm is only 2100. Thereafter, the rpm dropped to 2000 rpm when cruising at 100km/hr.

↡ Advertisement