VW Jetta

Koolaba

Hi all,

Some pictures to share with you while I am overseas : the notchback version of the Golf V - the Jetta. The rear lamp clusters are very similar to the latest Passat (the silver car next to the black Jetta).

Read from a couple of motoring literature in Europe that the Golf VI will be introduced earlier than expected, in 2008 or so. This will probably be the shortest production run for the Jetta.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...006/112_news11/

A preview of the Golf VI (albeit small)

http://www.autozeitung.de/pages/auto-news/...02-vw_golf6.jpg

post-22-1144502792_thumb.jpg

post-22-1144502793_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Honestly I do not have any idea when the Jetta will be arriving here. But bear in mind that the Golf VI will be launched in 2008. The current Jetta will be outdated by then because it is based on the Golf V platform.

If you are looking at a car of the same class from the VAG family, I would recommend the Skoda Octavia II which will be launched by July or August 2006. It is based on the same Golf V platform. The boot space easily beats the Jetta hands down. Not forgetting it is more affordable than the Jetta too.

Neutral Newbie

Anyone bought the VW Jetta yet?

I hardly see it on the road. I am thinking of getting one.

Any comments on VW Jetta by owners as compare to Peugeot 207/307 ??

Thank you.

Neutral Newbie

the Jetta comes in two engine type, a 1.6l powerplant and a GTi equivalent 2.0 turbo. I've test driven the 2.0 turbo and I have to admit, it's a really good car. However, I heard that the 1.6l is only so-so in terms of performance.

You can check out this review article for more information on the Jetta:

http://www.xxxxxxx.com/articles/article.p...pageid=1&view=1

I think the 1.6l is not a good buy for the price. But can consider the 2.0l turbo. I wanted to test drive it but VW has loaned it out for review. At $120k+ for the 2l turbo, it is still considered high, but the DSG gearbox should be a good reason to get one.

since we are not looking at expenses, I would think its a good buy.

However, having said that, one man's meat is another's poison. In terms of technology, its basically a GTI with a boot (the 2.0T version). Maybe suspension has been tuned to comfort as its targetted towards families but with the power built-in.

Not many like the look. Some don't like German tech. Some say no soul etc etc.

You have to test drive it. If you like the way it handles and if you like the ride, go for it.

Many car buyers in SG looks at the price and bells and whistles only aka what are the things that the car comes with. They don't talk about safety, handling and technology.

If German tech has no soul, what will happen to Korean/MY/Jap tech?

I am driving the 1.6Jetta. Performance wise, I'm satisfied with it. It won't win any drag race against the WRX [laugh] but it brings a smile to me each time I need to drive in the rain, or take a corner.

One of the main reasons I bought it is due to the safety features: good side-crash rating, six airbags (inclusive of curtain airbags), ESP. For that kind of money, no Jap ride can offer me these features. I have an aversion to French cars.

And... to retrieve my car in the carpark, I no longer have to check the car number plate to make sure the car is mine before going near it [flowerface]

Edited by Beng2

Neutral Newbie

dont think it's fair to compare your 1.6L to a wrx since it will basically blow you away although pricing wise similar.., compare to normal jap 1.6L better.... [laugh]

the 2.0L turbo is quite good though.... [thumbsup]

Edited by Heckers
↡ Advertisement