Replace spark plugs

Hlkh

There are lots of hardware stores that sell torque wrench. Just tell them what you need and they can order for you. Or you can go direct to the agents. Just do a google search in singapore. But one thing they are not cheap.

↡ Advertisement

For spark plugs. Use those selling in eBay USA for them. Some going as low as US12.99 but that is w/o shipping yet. Make sure you get the right torque range. Don't get the spring type with that funny dial. The clicker type is what you want.

If not, go to 2nd level Tekka market. There is a hardware store that sells them.

that's just a simple T-handle spark plug changer. think Genie47 is talking of about a torque wrench which allows the installer to use the right amount of force (or moment) to tighten the plugs. this is important because using too much or too little force will create problems later on but most workshops here just aga-aga screw the spark plugs in

(edited)

Here is professional torque wrench designed for low torque range

post-8-1146654672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Neutral Newbie
that's just a simple T-handle spark plug changer. think Genie47 is talking of about a torque wrench which allows the installer to use the right amount of force (or moment) to tighten the plugs. this is important because using too much or too little force will create problems later on but most workshops here just aga-aga screw the spark plugs in

Thought you guys were talking about the one in the photo above. My mistake.

For me, abt 3/4 turn-in after hand tight. I have benn changing plugs for many years using this method, no problem.

I even used torque wrench b4, but find it troublesome and using the recommended method stated in some of the plug package works fine.

If the plugs are new, the washer will compressed nicely when u do as recommended and future removal also no problem, not that tight that you have to use a really strong wrench to remove.

However, one thing to note is do it when the engine is cold or warm, not hot.

Clutched

last week i remove and check the plugs and reinstall and found that after hand tight.. shake abit of the tool can turn somemore.. after that only can tight ard 1/4 turn only cant tighten further anymore

Once you remove and re-installed, 3/4 turn not possible, most is abt 1/4 to 1/2, also depend on the last time how you tighten or over tighten the plugs.

Clutched

hmmm .... that mean what i have been doing is some where in the right side [:)]

1st Gear
(edited)

hullo to all,

Intend to get a T-Bar to change my own spark plugs.

Is this one @ $28

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/auction/94789877

recommended? How many mm should I get? I am driving Getz, using Hyundai NGK Copper plugs.

This T-Bar will also open the 4 top bolts on the header cover right?

Thanks for advising!

Edited by Ixat

(edited)

The socket is only for 14mm thread spark plug or 21mm hexagon size ( Euro std).The spark plug socket is solely for removing and replacing the 14mm spark plug.

Suggest you joint up with some DIYers to observe how spark plugs are being removed and replace before embarking on buying tools.

Edited by Yeobh

1st Gear

Thanks yeo! WIll heed ur advice.

So for a typical NGK copper plug what "mm" should it be?

THanks

You need to adv the spark plug part no. Just wait ,there are few forumers here are spark plug expert who will have the info at hand to adv you.

3rd Gear
(edited)

there are normally 2 standard plug size for cars, 16mm size hex nut or 21mm (actually 20.8mm) size hex nut wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

what's your ride???

NGK 'BKR' are 16mm size hex nut where 'BPR' are 21mm size hex nut.

Edited by Vtim
↡ Advertisement