Fuel Consumption Saving Tips

Gigacrusher

One tip that missed all those who contributed in the past.

A well charged battery everyday is equally important for good mileage.

If you do have a battery charger, charge your battery when you arrive home.

Highrise dwellers. I don't know how you can solve this yet.

Hi, any idea how much does this cost?

↡ Advertisement

Hi i got a forte 1.6 i manage 17.1km/l which is incredible considering it is a 4 speeder.

on highway, i go as light foot as possible maintain speed of 75-80kmh

rpm about 1900-2000 and when approaching slope or traffic light, i switch to neutral

and allow it to glide. The fuel i pump is Shell 95 ^^

Hope this will help . :D

17.1km/L is hell of a good. [thumbsup]

Is your's a manual shift? If so, you have the advantage. I can't do it on my auto tranny. Wished there was a manual version for my car. [drivingcar] Missed the good old manual so much.

Did you inflate your tyre 10 to 20% above normal? This will help at least by up to 10% more.

The experts and world record holders practise the Pulse and Glide method. (which you are already doing).

When you hit the sweet spot, should be getting even better results soon.

All the best.

Hi, any idea how much does this cost?

I cannot remember. Bought mine so long ago from a radio control shop. I know I didn't pay more than $100.

Once battery is charged, it goes on "Float".

Try Autobacs. I thought I saw them selling it. Otherwise tyre and battery shop should have.

Should be the other way round. Too much shifting from D to N will make your gearbox up lorry faster.

Shifting from D to N while the car is moving is a big NO NO for auto tranny. Confirm cum chop up lorry even faster. (You do this only when engine stall while moving to quickly try to restart your engine again).

Thanks for the tip haha.. coz i didnt know that [bigcry]

17.1km/L is hell of a good. [thumbsup]

Is your's a manual shift? If so, you have the advantage. I can't do it on my auto tranny. Wished there was a manual version for my car. [drivingcar] Missed the good old manual so much.

Did you inflate your tyre 10 to 20% above normal? This will help at least by up to 10% more.

The experts and world record holders practise the Pulse and Glide method. (which you are already doing).

When you hit the sweet spot, should be getting even better results soon.

All the best.

Haha mine is nt a manual mine is a 4 spd auto box. b4 getting my car i heard ppl saying that

Forte consume alot of oil. But i am quite suprise that it did 17.1km/l

Hmmm my tyre is pump up to 260kpa. Using michellin Energy X tyres. :D

I cannot remember. Bought mine so long ago from a radio control shop. I know I didn't pay more than $100.

Once battery is charged, it goes on "Float".

Try Autobacs. I thought I saw them selling it. Otherwise tyre and battery shop should have.

Thanks, appreciate it. Rgds [wave]

Haha mine is nt a manual mine is a 4 spd auto box. b4 getting my car i heard ppl saying that

Forte consume alot of oil. But i am quite suprise that it did 17.1km/l

Hmmm my tyre is pump up to 260kpa. Using michellin Energy X tyres. :D

Wow! with a 4sp auto gear you are doing so well. Can't get that figure even with my manual gear last time.

By the way my tyre is Dunlop Sports.

At first i was afraid to pump to 260kpa. Kept at 240kpa.

Then by chance, i met another hypermiler at shell station. He pumps to 260kpa. He drives a Suzuki Swift. He says so far so good. Nothing adverse happening to his ride.

So now i'm on 260kpa. Check tyre pressure every week. Usually drop by about 10 to 15kpa depending on how much i drive.

By the way my car "revs" silently at 2.5K rpm (plus/minus) range. (normal for a small cc car). Smoothness and noiseless almost like driving an electric car.

With no passengers, the sweet spot is between 55 to 75 km/hr on flat roads. I would usually follow the flow of the traffic which is faster. I drive at sweet spot speed only when no one is behind me.

Shell Fuel Save Challenge

A few years back Shell organised a fuel economy rally together with Class95 to see which driver retuned with the best mileage on singapore roads.

It would be nice to see some of you here taking up the challenge should Shell bring it back.

The world record holder has proven that it's possible to achieve better than 20km/L in singapore with a 1.6 litre car. (without compromising on safety and annoying other road users).

My personal best with a 1.6L car is 15.2km/L. (did not know about fuel-save driving yet)

For a 0.7L, my best was 23km/L. (did every possible thing mentioned in this thread)

If anyone here knows of a singapore club/website/forum with regards to Hypermiling, please do let me know. I can't seem to find it after days of search. Thanks very much.

There is none. The fact is that this term hypermiling is not common in Singapore. u from the US?

1. I dont agree totally. A healthy car with a cautious driver should be able to stop much earlier than a truck.

2. I never agree driving on free gear, but i practice to free it <40kph towards red light.

3. I never agree on fuel saving products, as they alone cost a bomb.

4. I always believe its the driver's attitude on street, and the load the car is carrying.

Well said and fully agreed! [thumbsup]

Should be the other way round. Too much shifting from D to N will make your gearbox up lorry faster.

Shifting from D to N while the car is moving is a big NO NO for auto tranny. Confirm cum chop up lorry even faster. (You do this only when engine stall while moving to quickly try to restart your engine again).

This is what I heard too. Maintain at D gear and avoid shifting to N too often.

Very dangerous to tailgate or follow too close, especially heavy vehicle. You cannot see traffic condition ahead. Your life depended on the response of truck driver infront.

2 second rules.

This reminded me that I had a close encounter with a big lorry along a slip road a couple of days back. As traffic flow reaches a bumper to bumper situation, I also followed the lorry in front of me too close. It was somewhat dangerous. Will not repeat the mistake. [sweatdrop]

There is none. The fact is that this term hypermiling is not common in Singapore. u from the US?

If I m not wrong. Shell did team up with Class95 in 2004 or 2005 to do a fuel save challenge. Then again i could have been mistaken.

Anyway, it was a common event held every year 30 to 40 years ago. Shell or other petrol brands would team up with AA to organise such events. They were done long distance from singapore to penang and from penang back to singapore.

We have participants from several countries coming over for the gathering. It was a good way to get car enthusiasts together. Since it wasn't about speeding, it was a family event too.

Nope, not from the US. Local as can be. Laksa and char kway teow.... LJ & KNN of sorts... [:p]

This reminded me that I had a close encounter with a big lorry along a slip road a couple of days back. As traffic flow reaches a bumper to bumper situation, I also followed the lorry in front of me too close. It was somewhat dangerous. Will not repeat the mistake. [sweatdrop]

I had one close call and one collision. Which is the reason why i discourage people following behind vehicles or coasting on neutral no matter how safe we might assume.

Both occasions happened when i was driving a manual car.

I was coasting gleefully along clementi road towards bukit timah plaza. Road was a little wet. No cars around at that time.

Before maju camp just where there is a small HDB park I happily cleared the "peak" and was rolling gently downhill. Out of no where, a moron decided to cut into my path suddenly. I slammed on my brakes.

So i thought it was safe. I wasn't even going fast. How wrong was i. My car skidded and i managed to stop. Yes, but side ways with my door now facing impending coming traffic.

Second incident.

Road was dry. Down 6th avenue. Coasting nicely. Enjoying it. Passed a stationary car parked alongside road outside the rows of houses.

All of a sudden Moron decided to start engine and shoot out and make illegal U-turn without indication. Hit my brakes hard and steered right to avoid Moron. my car spun right. Then loud bang! My backside hit his door.

Moron's passenger door crumpled in. Nothing on my vehicle. No dent. No scratches. Luckily no one injured. Just my heart thump thump thumping so fast.

Two lessons are more than enough.

By the way vehicle in the second incident is a ambassador's Jaguar limo. The ambassador's wife did not want to pursue the matter. So no nothing after that. The driver is a local. A uniformed chaffeur. Shouted at me with hokkien vulgarities. Pure moron.

I was driving a Honda Accord then.

Wow! with a 4sp auto gear you are doing so well. Can't get that figure even with my manual gear last time.

By the way my tyre is Dunlop Sports.

At first i was afraid to pump to 260kpa. Kept at 240kpa.

Then by chance, i met another hypermiler at shell station. He pumps to 260kpa. He drives a Suzuki Swift. He says so far so good. Nothing adverse happening to his ride.

So now i'm on 260kpa. Check tyre pressure every week. Usually drop by about 10 to 15kpa depending on how much i drive.

By the way my car "revs" silently at 2.5K rpm (plus/minus) range. (normal for a small cc car). Smoothness and noiseless almost like driving an electric car.

With no passengers, the sweet spot is between 55 to 75 km/hr on flat roads. I would usually follow the flow of the traffic which is faster. I drive at sweet spot speed only when no one is behind me.

Cool ^^ last time i use to pump 230kpa till i change to a new tyre last week then i saw the pressure is 260

the sweet spot for my car at high way is 25-80kmh but i would normally travel on the left lane [:)]

Btw wat car r u driving ????

I am now driving a Mitsubishi " i ".

659 cc. 900kg (dry weight).

It's a heavy car body for a small engine... if you compare it with other tiny cars.

I travel on the left or centre lane only.

Me Too. Better stay away.

Stay sway from heavy vehicles, and also foreign registered and embassy cars.

kenah accident with them very troublesome......

Looking forward to the long week end [wave]

Me Too. Better stay away.

Stay sway from heavy vehicles, and also foreign registered and embassy cars.

kenah accident with them very troublesome......

Looking forward to the long week end [wave]

We just have to be more aware of the potential hazards around us as we drive.

Treat every moving vehicle and person with care and be responsible with our actions.

Drive safe and with patience.

Just a matter of curiosity.

I wonder how many in singapore are quietly practising hypermiling (fuel save driving). I understand there are no such clubs here. Not even a website or forum!!! Google and Yahoo showed only MCF as the only place in singapore having this thread discussed actively.

Maybe a secret group does exist. Membership by initiation ritual [gossip][grouphug]

↡ Advertisement