My Front Left Tyre Burst Along CTE at ~100km/h

Putter

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Just wanted to share with you my experience of having the front left tyre burst (Bridgestone Turanza 205/55R16) while at ~100km/h along CTE this morning...

Surprisingly enough, the car did not loose control when the tyre went burst. I only hear a sudden loud "blok blok..." sound. I quickly slow down and filter to the left lane, then to the road shoulder. [sweatdrop]

Initially, I thought it is just a punctured tyre. To my horror, the tyre sidewall was suffering a large cracked line of about 6 inches. I could see the teared portion with wire exposed. I was in deep rushed to change up the tyre and forgot to take a picture of it. My mileage is closed to 48K. Though typically tyre replacemet usually start when close to 70K or so. [:/] Any comment on this? Really dunno why the sidewall will crack in such a way. It is pretty dangerous if there isn't any tell-tale sign. If at higher speed say ~140km/h along NS HW, that could be a disaster liao.

Anyway, had the 4 tyres replaced to Maxxis MA-21, highly recommended by shop owner over the Bridgestone GR80 for wet floor gripping. Will let you guys know more about its performance at later time.

In conclusion, I am pleasantly surprise that the car still remain controllability even though the front tyre burst when I was cruising at 100km/h. [thumbsup]

Edited by Superb
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

sidewall failure? have you figured out the cause? most of the time its due to either insufficient pressure, or hitting/rubbing the curb often.

Sorry to hear that and your experience, thank God you are alright.

The car is well balance. Anyway, the little known about tyres is that they last shorter than what we expect, the pressure for Continental cars should be higher than Japanese, and BS are softer in compound and they do not last as long on Continental cars. I change my tyres by 30,000km or 2 years from manufactured date.

Oh..a budge tyre will further deteriorate the failure faster.

How long have you been using this tyre?

When was your last change and did you notice the roundness(out of shape) on the tyres?

Bro, glad that you are alright [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

My mileage is closed to 48K. Though typically tyre replacemet usually start when close to 70K or so. [:/] Any comment on this?

Bro, my practice is change tyres at every 40,000Km or 2 years whichever comes first [;)]

(edited)

i was wandering when was the last time u check your tyres pressure.

Leak and very low tyre pressure can cause this incident.

Edited by Sky8807

Neutral Newbie

Oh my!!! Did you hit on any debris or stones on the road?

I remembered my past encounter whilest driving a Presea along AYE and I hit a rolling wheel cover from the car in front. My front left tyre has had a crack/tear but did not leak. I managed to drive to the nearest Stamford Tyres to change.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I pump the tyre pressure at 230. Is that considered too low for this car on 205/55 R16?

It was a stalk tyre Bridgestone Turanza ER30. It is quiet but the gripping to wet floor is quite poor. I encountered a few times when the car body trying to move but the tyre skidded on the floor.

BTW, how often do you rotate the tyres? Every 10k?

Neutral Newbie

No leh...pretty smooth cruizing on the right lane when it suddenly go "blok blok blok"...

Neutral Newbie

I check the pressure about once a month...but not sure if 230 is too low for my tyre.

230 sounds quite ok for me although i pump 245 for my 17" [:p] Normally quiet tyres do not have good grips and grippy tyres are not quiet [scholar] Tyre rotation should be done at every 10K [nod]

(edited)

ur one farking lucky fellow [shocked]

i oso experience tyre burst in NSH abt 5yrs ago, was travelling ard 140kmh and the car lost control and hit the center divider and spin for a few round ...

i was alright after the accident and manage to come out thru the passanger door as i cant open the driver side door ... the car was total loss [sweatdrop]

Edited by Tenminste

Neutral Newbie

No la...like what feedback from the rest...I think I over stretch it liao though it is only about a year. Didn't know most people change tyre around 30-40K interval. [:/]

↡ Advertisement