Technical Information: CAN & LIN Technologies in Automotive Applications

Koolaba

Hello all,

Sharing some information on the Contoller Area Network (CAN) and Local Interconnect Network (LIN) technologies which have found extensive uses in automotive applications. One of the main motivations of implementing such systems in current automotive applications is to reduce the number of wires, yet able to support the exchange of information in modern vehicles.

Some technical information which will provides an overview of the CAN and LIN technologies.

CAN: http://www.can-cia.org/can/

LIN: http://www.lin-subbus.de/main.asp?cls=onli...hod=view&id=969

The top European car manufacturers (VAG included) have adopted this technology since the early 1980s. Suffice to say, the VAG vehicles available today are already equipped with this proven and tested technology.

Have fun reading the articles.

↡ Advertisement

Reminds me of my " ab-initio" time @ Airbus where they introduce to us to CAN,LIN ,FBW,Electronic throttle...man..

I got confused with the master, slaves,,then de master slaves,,!n then de interrogator came !!oh man! but it made for an interesting & enlightening read & was realli impressed wz the Euro technology,mainly the Germans, to minimize wiring and cables..using digital relays commmand..servotronics,,etc..the americans may not admit it..but the B777 * & B787 is oredi FBW.

Thanks for the insight though..many of us wud aprec what goes into our rides n de test & QC engineers who spend hours to make it work !!

Real-life implementation of CAN and LIN technologies in VAG cars versues the conventional wiring methods employed in other brands.

post-22-1167100389_thumb.jpg

post-22-1167100390_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koolaba

The ones on the top are from the Superb. The Fabia and Octavia are also equipped with CAN and LIN systems.

The second set of pictures is taken from a B14 Nissan Sunny.

Edited by Koolaba

The massive bunches of wires in the Nissan (and other cars using the conventional wiring linkages for that matter) are not only ugly, but heavy as well. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

wah...u so observant leh..didnt pay notice to these even thou i watch my installer took them out during my ICE installation...

in a way u bad too...u giving hint to the possible robbers to not only break windows to steal cash cards but to pull out all the copper wiring in jap cars for resale....big $$ [rolleyes][rolleyes][laugh][laugh][laugh][lipsrsealed][smash]

Possible, provided you have the correct receiver to decode the electrical signals transmitted on the bus.

↡ Advertisement