How do car manufacturers declare the 0-100km/h timings ?

Neutral Newbie

Bros,

got this question always wanted to ask :

How do manufacturers come up with their 0-100 timings ?

Is it done on the track ? If so, arent there many factors involved eg. wind speed, temperature, grip levels etc ?

Or is it done on a dyno with controlled environment ?

↡ Advertisement

IMO... they do not follow the same test procedures. So read the timings with a pinch of salt.

Anyway... is it really that important in Singapore?

Neutral Newbie

My advice is, don't bother about 0-100kph timings.

You can use them as reference but that does not mean you can rely solely on them.

1 of the biggest misconception people has is that while Car A may obtain quicker 0-100 timings than Car B, that doesn't mean Car B will be slower than Car A from 100 above.

It all depends on the situations. The above factors you mention will always be inconsistent due to mother nature. There is no possible way world manufacturers can achieve a standardised controlled environment just so they can do 0-100 timings.

Even in dyno, figures can be played around. Eg. While a dyno shows 200hp atw stock and after tuning shows 220hp atw. You car can be slower than before because of the figures being played around. The only way to test or prove any gains is to do quartermile and see if your timing improves.

Neutral Newbie

Dyno. What they give is performance under best situation. They will never show performance on normal roads.

A normal driver could not achieve the 0-100 figure.

To do this would require max rev or red zone on each gears, especially 2nd and 3rd. by that time alreading above 100.

Practical driving the value of torque is important, the lower the rpm to achieve max torque, the stronger the pulling power of the car and quick get away at traffic is done with less effort.

Neutral Newbie
[laugh][laugh] Tell that to Tungchung...he'll prolly insist that you are wrong, that Getz is thr fastest 1.6l NA car (under 100K) and that no other car comes into comparison..oh, and he'll categorically deny the existence of the suzuki swift sports on the road becasue it doesn't appear in his magazine...

Neutral Newbie

all cars now upgrade for gd torque at mid-high, ppfft..but i would like a gd car with gd low-mid torque. mine current 1 is not bad too. peak torque at 3000 rpm.

Neutral Newbie

thanks bros.

ya, you guys makes sense but yet 0-100kmh is the most sought after number and easily understood, so thats why its widely used as a benchmark.

If they had a standard of testing these will be good so in relative terms we can compare.

To translate torque / RMP number into real acceleration terms also not too obvious I guess.

Neutral Newbie

No no no no...the Honda Civic 1.6 doesn't exist...why? cos the magazine only have the 1.8 & 2.0l version..if its not in the magazine, its not true...

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Neutral Newbie
Bros,

Is it done on the track ? If so, arent there many factors involved eg. wind speed, temperature, grip levels etc ?

maybe they take a look at competitor's number and minus 1 second ...when people question they just rebuke lor ......probably that's how Getz get a 9 sec rating hehehe

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
My advice is, don't bother about 0-100kph timings.

You can use them as reference but that does not mean you can rely solely on them.

1 of the biggest misconception people has is that while Car A may obtain quicker 0-100 timings than Car B, that doesn't mean Car B will be slower than Car A from 100 above.

It all depends on the situations. The above factors you mention will always be inconsistent due to mother nature. There is no possible way world manufacturers can achieve a standardised controlled environment just so they can do 0-100 timings.

Even in dyno, figures can be played around. Eg. While a dyno shows 200hp atw stock and after tuning shows 220hp atw. You car can be slower than before because of the figures being played around. The only way to test or prove any gains is to do quartermile and see if your timing improves.

My sentiments exactly...Quatermile neber lies!

Dyno claim 600hp but timing from 0-400m will tell you whether your car is really powerful!

Sub-10sec car is the ultimate target! So far I have not been able to clock tat! Best so far is 12+

EA

Edited by Eavr4

The test is conducted in with a lab dyno which is a single wheel drum and with inertia flywheel weights. The dyno is different from the maintenance workshop which have two roller and no inert fywheel weight.The wheels seat between the rollers,this arrangement increase wheels to roller contact and therefore created more friction resulting in loss of final wheel BHP.

Bros,

===============================================================================

It's just a benchmark or in layman terms a mark or a standard for u to judge how fast the car can accelerate from standstill.

Similarly for Fuel Consumption whereby everything is done indoors in a "lab"

The car running on a giant 'treadmill' with all the sensors, computers & stuffs.

Like what u've said it's bias, subjected to too many factors.

Bottom line is all these figures are just numbers. It's a so call 'rough gauge' for consumers to picture how fantastic the car is.

my $0.02 comments.

Bros,

1. IMHO, figure shown under 0-100km/h would give you an indiciation of the performance potential. Some Bros have been commenting that normal drivers especially those drive in city states seldom do century sprint, sothis figure may not be important to them.

2. I think European car makers tend to understate their 0-100Km/h figure. I don't find Focus that slow in pick-up although it has one of those lowest number among the 1.6L.

3. When I was shopping for car, 0-100km/h is one of my selection criteria but not the most important one. If a car has widely supported mod parts and accessories, the 0-100Km/h can also be altered.

4. I wonder if there is an international body that govern the test crtieria from 0-100Km/h. This will be fair for all.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement