All about springs and shocks(dampers)

Wrxblue

1 hour ago, boonhat_91 said:

Good sharing by bro Toeknee_33 in other thread.

On this topic, anyone got recommendations for workshops with suspension tuning expertise?

Those who go aftermarket, how do you "test" your new suspension setup? e.g. drive a fixed route that has humps and bumps and many corners, track testing etc.

testing and tuning it in terms of handling (understeer vs oversteer) or in terms of ride comfort?

I like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDmHpxgMxFU

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

43 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

testing and tuning it in terms of handling (understeer vs oversteer) or in terms of ride comfort?

I guess both? Because it is generally unlikely that handling can be improved without some sacrifice to ride comfort, or vice versa. Generalised statement of course. I'm open to views for either aspect (handling vs comfort) as I'm just genuinely curious about this topic.

• Praise 1

Have been a month since I changed to Sachs OEM front and rear with housing and all as well as replace the rollbar.  But I did not replace the springs.

Found the ride to be bouncy, whole vehicle rattling, steering wheel vibrates and car rocking from side to side when going over even smooth road, you can also feel every bump on your floorboard, the passenger and driver seat also vibrates..

so, I changed the Rims and Wheels and top up my steering wheel fluid.

Now the ride is not bouncy is reduced (comfortable neough) and vehicle is not rattling unless over rough road. The wheels only vibrates when driving above 60km/hr and u can feel the floor vibrates as well.

However, the car rocking from side to side is very apparent when you slow down the car when turnign out towards the slip road...

What else should I changed apart from a new car ...or a new driver? LOL

sibei fustrating... itchy fingers go change shocks.

oh, and remember to get reputable workshops to do shocks. I go back to small workshop to check with the boss and he say.. no warranty ... (1 month old only .leh)..

The car is easily depressed at the front .. but the rear is harder.  I can pressed down the whole car easily to touch the wheels top in front, but not so for the back.

Edited by riot168

Neutral Newbie

Hi.. 

I have a 2018 audi a4

Im thinking of changing the car spring to eibach lowering springs after spending so much free time during the circuit breaker reading and poisoning myself 

But I have a understanding that it will void warranty suspension? 

Any bros here got any idea what of the suspension warranty am I voiding and if let's say... Mishap do happen that if supposingly can claim warranty, and now it have to be out of my pocket, 

What's the parts and how much rougly to replace out of pocket? 

19 hours ago, bruiselee said:

Hi.. 

I have a 2018 audi a4

Im thinking of changing the car spring to eibach lowering springs after spending so much free time during the circuit breaker reading and poisoning myself 

Any bros here got any idea what of the suspension warranty am I voiding and if let's say... Mishap do happen that if supposingly can claim warranty, and now it have to be out of my pocket, 

I always say, wanna mod don't scared. Want not to be scared, don't mod.

Usually the whole suspension warranty voided. However some AD might void the warranty on the whole ride. So........

Mishap do happen and why do you claim warranty from them when its a mishap? You gotta make a claim with your insurance company or the other party if there is one.

If you wanna change to eibach springs then I guess its just the springs you need to change on the parts part. Springs cost around $500-600 with labour I guess. 

19 hours ago, bruiselee said:

Hi.. 

I have a 2018 audi a4

Shorter spring should match with appropriate shocks.

7 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Shorter spring should match with appropriate shocks.

I will usually use with stock dampers till 1-2 years later then match with a Kayaba SR special.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Oh what I meant by mishaps is not due to accident, but it just failing. 

My  limited noob understanding is suspension consists of 

Arms. 

Bushings 

Shocks absorbers 

Springs (plan to change this first) 

So are they just limited to them? And if is so, are these parts able to claim under warranty during the initial 5 years warranty? Or are they all wear n tear items and either way I have I have to spend to replace them? 

• Shocked 1

21 hours ago, bruiselee said:

Oh what I meant by mishaps is not due to accident, but it just failing. 

My  limited noob understanding is suspension consists of 

Arms. 

Bushings 

Shocks absorbers 

Springs (plan to change this first) 

So are they just limited to them? And if is so, are these parts able to claim under warranty during the initial 5 years warranty? Or are they all wear n tear items and either way I have I have to spend to replace them? 

Hard to fall off your ride.

Your limited noob understanding is much more than mine. I only thought suspensions are made up of springs and dampers.

I seriously think that those AD will that those parts you mentioned as wear and tear parts. Usually covered under the first year of warranty.

15 hours ago, Noah_yap said:

Good suspension system is one of the criteria to car' life sustainability 

Care to elaborate how? 

On 5/4/2020 at 7:05 PM, Discoburg said:

I will usually use with stock dampers till 1-2 years later then match with a Kayaba SR special.

My car is in its third year this 2020. Mileage is in its 60k km. I am likely to change the shocks at the year end or next year. I intend to drive my car till end of its COE. 

• Praise 2

22 minutes ago, Yuan said:

My car is in its third year this 2020. Mileage is in its 60k km. I am likely to change the shocks at the year end or next year. I intend to drive my car till end of its COE. 

Thats nice to know sir. Glad that you enjoy your ride.

I also always tell myself that I will drive my ride till the end of the COE. However.......

28 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Thats nice to know sir. Glad that you enjoy your ride.

I also always tell myself that I will drive my ride till the end of the COE. However.......

I have been saying it for years but it never came true. Most old members here will know.  

I have my complaints of my current ride and likely to stick with it longer. 

• Haha! 1

Is there a electronic damper controller motor for coilovers with the usual turn knob on top. Tien had a addon unit for their coilovers

and I was wondering if I can find one that can addon to any suspension coilover?

On 5/17/2020 at 6:47 PM, Yuan said:

I have been saying it for years but it never came true. Most old members here will know.  

I have my complaints of my current ride and likely to stick with it longer. 

I will also stick to my current ride till then end of the COE.

↡ Advertisement