All about springs and shocks(dampers)

Wrxblue

Neutral Newbie

Brilliant and concise... thank you for sharing.

Now we know why the F1 drivers are so worried about driving on our streets... the little portholes and connecting strips on ECP will probably shake their intestines loose from their bowels! [laugh]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
i am crurrently drving a steam, and i really feel the its too hard annd high. any reccommendation and where to get good price? i jsut dunnoe any thing abt spring and spring. also are there othher way to solve this problem i am facin? cos i heard coilover cost like 1.6K?

my is a brand new car. so if i manage to change, is there any place that take in my new sock???

pleas help me

chhers

bro, just get a good lower spring like Tein. no need to get coilover... if only after your warranty and your stock suspenion spoil then get a coilover. :)

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Thx, Wrxblue, for the detailed writeup.

I have understood more about shocks and springs after reading, but I would still need some advice from you regarding my car's suspension system.

I am currently driving a Honda Fit 2008 and I find the ride really too harsh. Every small bump or porthole will cause the car to go "gong gong" and I will feel very uncomfortable.

Questions:

1) does this mean that in order to get better ride comfort, I should go for softer springs? (means my stock springs are too hard?)

2) If so, what springs should I change to in order to improve the ride comfort?

3) Or does this just mean that my shocks are too hard for my springs?

4) I find it frustrating to shop for suspensions because I don't really know what's wrong with my current suspension(now I know, after reading your article) and I don't know how the suspensions on in the shops will feel. The shop assistants usually cannot describe their shocks and springs clear enough for me to understand so there's just no way I can know the feel of the shocks and springs before buying them.

Will appreciate if you could help me out. Thanks!

Regards,

Alvin

• Praise 1

Hiya,

Yours is a new car, so I guess it must be stock suspension.

Normally the standard suspension should be sufficient in terms of ride comfort (In general i guess). If your car feels bumpy, maybe you can check the tyre pressure and also the wheels(in case you changed it), make sure they meet the vehicle manufacturer's recommended specs.

It will be quite difficult to find a "softer" setup in the aftermarket as normally tuners would always produce a "stiffer" setup option.

If the above doesnt solve the issue for you, probably your butt is "tuned" for much softer rides and that nothing much can be done.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Wrxblue,

I've tried lowering my tyre pressure from about 240 to 220 and it feel a bit better now (though I'm not very certain of this, it's quite hard to tell the difference). I posted the same question on another forum and some other people commended the same thing about my butt. (haha!) So I guess there's really no other way out except lowering tyre pressure.

But still, thanks for your clear and helpful advice:)

Neutral Newbie

i have been doing some searching and asking around, but I am looking for an ideal balance and the "perfect drop". i know that with aftermarket springs there is a shorter lifespan in shocks. I want to find a spring that is well balanced to lower the car, increase handling potential, and comfort. It would help if someone could provide specs on actual ride height drop, and not only spring rate, but difference in ride comfort. This is for an 07 sentra se-r spec v.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro,

any idea what is the labour cost of changing all the suspension(dunno what brand, only know adjustable)..

any recommend shops and anything to take note like alignment & height etc..

since need to take out all the rims, i'm changing 15' to 16'..

Need your advice...Thanks..

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro, need advise currently my ride feel bouncy on full load. Occasionally, rear passenger feel unconfortable (even drive on express way). So I suspect my car suspension are soft and can't handle high speed with full load.

My ride, Honda Odyssey Absolute RB1. I have been reading a lot of shock, spring, Anti roll bar but just not sure what to do to resolve my issue.

Driving style: I'm not aggresive driver therefore confort and safety are important to me.

Hoping some bro can give some advise what to do with 7 seaters car issue. [confused]

• Praise 1

have you tested your shocks? press down hard on one corner and release. the car should stop moving after 1 bounce. if it continues bopping, then it's time to change the shocks. repeat on each corner.

you can also visually inspect the shocks to see if there are leaking.

antiroll bar will not stiffen your suspension. only a stiffer spring will.

• Praise 1

Hi bro, need advise currently my ride feel bouncy on full load. Occasionally, rear passenger feel unconfortable (even drive on express way). So I suspect my car suspension are soft and can't handle high speed with full load.

My ride, Honda Odyssey Absolute RB1. I have been reading a lot of shock, spring, Anti roll bar but just not sure what to do to resolve my issue.

Driving style: I'm not aggresive driver therefore confort and safety are important to me.

Hoping some bro can give some advise what to do with 7 seaters car issue. [confused]

Rear passenger feeling uncomfortable is quite normal since they are behind the rear wheels such like sitting at the back of the bus. cheapest alternative- get a spring stiffener. costs around $200? (not too sure). what it does is it kinda like slotting rubber in between the coils of the springs to stiffen it.

Hi bro,

any idea what is the labour cost of changing all the suspension(dunno what brand, only know adjustable)..

any recommend shops and anything to take note like alignment & height etc..

since need to take out all the rims, i'm changing 15' to 16'..

Need your advice...Thanks..

i changed all my 4 springs for $80. (springs bought from elsewhere) special price because of im a friend of a good friend and regular of the workshop.

• Praise 1

Rear passenger feeling uncomfortable is quite normal since they are behind the rear wheels such like sitting at the back of the bus. cheapest alternative- get a spring stiffener. costs around $200? (not too sure). what it does is it kinda like slotting rubber in between the coils of the springs to stiffen it.

i changed all my 4 springs for $80. (springs bought from elsewhere) special price because of im a friend of a good friend and regular of the workshop.

Not really sure about spring stiffners, but if they slot in-between the coils, wouldn't it limit the coil's movement or the shock absorber's full travel?

This would lead to bottoming out, wouldn't it? Where the springs have maxed out and the direct force of the bump is transferred to the chassis. [:/]

• Praise 1

i have been doing some searching and asking around, but I am looking for an ideal balance and the "perfect drop". i know that with aftermarket springs there is a shorter lifespan in shocks. I want to find a spring that is well balanced to lower the car, increase handling potential, and comfort. It would help if someone could provide specs on actual ride height drop, and not only spring rate, but difference in ride comfort. This is for an 07 sentra se-r spec v.

I think for good ride comfort, stock would be the best.

A key importance of the suspension system is that after a bump, it must return the car to the original steady state as quickly as possible (within one oscillation). This requires it to have a matching set of springs (spring stiffness) and damping coefficient (damper). Changing one of this without adjusting the other could make things worse and could lead to the car bouncing a few times after hitting a bump.

hi all,

has anybody here used gas type suspensions???

can anybody care to elaborate or suggest which is better(spring or gas) cos i totally blur. and roughly the price.

tks all round.

• Praise 1