Grand Prix in Singapore??

Selespeed156

Didn't know that there were GP in the old Singapore.... [thumbsup]

"The main touring car support race to the Singapore Grand Prix in 1967 resulted in an outright win. Foley's 1300cc Cooper 'S' is seen here leading the factory Mazda R100 specially imported from Japan and driven by works driver Katayama."

post-49-1047703709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Selespeed156
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I remember reading about something like that, but i thought it's in another ulu location. Anyway, it was said to be legal. However, the track isn't as big as what the current, standard track. But, that was back then when Singapore has a lot of undeveloped land.

NOW, it's just a dream.. [angel][angel]

Neutral Newbie

now have....friday/saturday night, around 2-3am.....wait for all the bengs to come out from disco and pub then all will piang piang piang in ECP

Turbocharged

you da Marshall ahh???

btw, last SGP was held in early 70s.....(72 or 71) after some accidents in the previous race sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif ..... the track was in Upp Thomson near the road leading to upper pierce reservior....... if you are daring enuf, take a drive there (better to do it in the day and not go too fast: it's twisty and at nite you may meet some white objects 'floating' around.... at your own risk dizzy.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif)

Edited by Super7

Neutral Newbie

no lah, not the marshals, just happened to see it in my discos days......and not driving yet then of coz......which is good, knowing myself as a teen to twenties, i would have joined in.....luckily now lau liao, drive till 100 relac liao.....

Supersonic

No need to even dream of building a GP track. If SG even got a proper karting track i damn freakin happy liao! [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Do you think a street course is a feasible idea? Our airforce shares some roads with the cars once in a while too ... The Tuas area is a possibility but the roads there are all in a grid. Don't think there are any curved sections. Just wondering.. [:|]

Neutral Newbie

no lah, you still can run topless leh...i cannot liao, the spare tyre too heavy to show others

Supersonic

Given up on the tired old "no land", "traffic congestion if we close up a few roads" excuse. This only reflects a lack of imagination and commitment. [rifle]

Been to Monaco and that place is even more heavily built up than SG yet is one of the highlights of the F1 calender. Don't u think a 800bhp F1 car screaming down Marina Bay or Shenton Way be an awesome sight? [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Yeah the Stamford road to Orchard boulevard loop that our so called racers use could perhaps be extended down past the Esplanade and on towards Shenton way before looping back. And the padang area could be the pits? Hmm sounds possible huh? And I agree it'd be an AWESOME sight! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Sillypore where got enuff space for a standard track???

Oh, we were supposed to build a GP track about a decade ago, in the Changi area. But it got killed off for the usual stupid short-sighted reasons: no ROI (what about massive guaranteed tourism?), tobacco ads (which none of the Europe courses use now), encourage a culture of speeding (sigh... I won't even go into this one)

Now the area is, guess what? Another [furious] golf course of course!

Edited by Seansene

Turbocharged

since we are not exactly shapely any more, y not have a spare-tyre contest and see who's the most impressive spare tyre.............. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

btw, last friday meetup din get a chance to listen to your ICE leh???........ this friday can??nod.gifsmile.gif

Edited by Super7

Turbocharged

i read one or two years ago, someone actually proposed converting Marina South roads into some kind of Race track for GT car racing once or twice a year (or maybe even on monthly basis).......... then no news after the initial talks....... MS is quite ideal for a road course...... with some widening and modifications, the present roads can be turned into an interesting race track, and day to day businesses (eg those in Shenton Way etc) will not be interrupted during the race week............... nod.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

anytime, no problem but no Fei Yu Qing leh......spare tyres, no lah we cannot win PHD so why bother to fight laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

↡ Advertisement