Grand Prix in Singapore??

Selespeed156

Neutral Newbie
Sillypore where got enuff space for a standard track???

Oh, we were supposed to build a GP track about a decade ago, in the Changi area. But it got killed off for the usual stupid short-sighted reasons: no ROI (what about massive guaranteed tourism?), tobacco ads (which none of the Europe courses use now), encourage a culture of speeding (sigh... I won't even go into this one)

Now the area is, guess what? Another [furious] golf course of course!

u know what they say right.......business deals get transacted and closed over golf courses, not boardrooms anymore....hahaha

Supersonic
i read one or two years ago, someone actually proposed converting Marina South roads into some kind of Race track for GT car racing once or twice a year (or maybe even on monthly basis).......... then no news after the initial talks....... MS is quite ideal for a road course...... with some widening and modifications, the present roads can be turned into an interesting race track, and day to day businesses (eg those in Shenton Way etc) will not be interrupted during the race week............... nod.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Ya, i recall reading abt it. It even said that the 2002 Japan GT will be help here. Last year, SMSA said that SG will get a world-class karting track. Also nothing happening so far. [:|] The fact that we have to go to JB just for a half-decent kart track is a sad reflection of the state of motorsports here. [shakehead]

"u know what they say right.......business deals get transacted and closed over golf courses, not boardrooms anymore....hahaha"

Yeah, but 28 golf courses in Sillypore?????

Supercharged

heard the new international-standard karting track will be at Turf City and supposed to be completed by mid-03...

Supercharged

wat else to expect when the rich and/or powerful prefer golf to motorsports?

should consider renaming to Golfapore...

Supersonic

Kart track at turf city ? I was there over the weekend, no sign of any construction activity leh. Where did u hear it from?

Just extracting some stuff which looked interesting from http://www.mindef.gov.sg/cyberpioneer/backissues_nov02_3.htm

A good place to learn karting would be Kartworld in Taman Jurong. This sole permanent track in Singapore is more than 700m long. It features various turns and has a smooth stretch where advanced racers can build up speeds of up to 120km/h!

It takes a beginner about 30 seconds to complete one lap. Both advanced and beginner karts are available for rent.
The track is open Tuesdays to Sundays from 11am till 10pm. Up to 12 karts can be on the track per session.
Just buy a ticket at the cashier's counter - a 10-minute session for a beginner's kart costs $28; an expert's kart, $40.
With a new international standard 1.4km racetrack to be completed at Turf City in early 2003, karting is set to soar even higher.
KART WORLD PTE LTD

Yung Ho Road (Open Field (Behind KFC), Taman Jurong, Tel: 6266 2555

Email: [email protected]

Operating Hours:Tue - Sun, 11am - 10pm

Cheers tongue.gif
Edited by Assassin

Yup.. My grandparent house used to be near it...

As per Foo, the track leads to upper pierce reservior and back into upper thomson road. It is a big 'circle'..

Too bad, this is no happening in our generation.. [:/]

Turbocharged

No need to even dream of building a GP track. If SG even got a proper karting track i damn freakin happy liao! wink.gif

nod.gif

same here sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif ............ btw, what's lap time at Permas now?? (heard you do lots of secret practice there recently?? sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif)

↡ Advertisement