Car-wash firm closes, leaving customers high and dry

User12343

(edited)

lifted off from ST online today: kudos to Caltex [thumbsup]

IMAGINE getting your family saloon washed for under a dollar or your seven-seater MPV for $2.80, when car washers at petrol stations charge about $6.

Car owners thought they were on to a good thing when an independent car-wash and servicing company at a Caltex petrol station sold them stacks of 50 or 100 car-wash coupons, each redeemable for a car wash at less than a dollar for a family saloon. Fifty dollars bought 56 coupons.

But L.K.W. Automotive Service suddenly closed shop at the Upper Thomson Caltex petrol station three weeks ago, leaving its customers stranded with unused coupons - and wondering how to get their money back.

The company started selling the pre-paid car-wash coupons in the middle of last year. It also gave out windscreen stickers to customers to signify their membership in the 'club', and was still promoting the membership deal up to the week before it closed shop.

Business boomed.

Straits Times reader Stella Ong, 32, said that a queue of at least 10 cars snaked out of L.K.W. on weekends; in the Sin Ming Avenue estate where she lives, one in two cars had the sticker.

As one among many car owners left in the lurch, she sent a text message to Stomp, ST's interactive portal, at 75557 with the news tip.

A car-wash package deal and membership is unusual. A check with 10 car-wash companies operating out of petrol stations showed that all of them had a pay-as- you-go payment plan, or let motorists use the points from their petrol station cards for car washes.

Chevron, Caltex's parent company, said it objected to the coupons because they bore no expiry dates, which put the customer at risk if L.K.W. should suddenly fold, said a Chevron spokesman.

The company told L.K.W.'s sole proprietor Loh Kiam Wei eight times to print expiry dates on the coupons, but he ignored the request.

Mr Loh was served a notice of termination on June 17, after which he had 60 days to wind up his business.

Chevron had hoped he would use the 60 days to give customers time to use their coupons, but he closed shop the morning he got the notice and has not reopened since.

Mr Loh could not be contacted for comment before press time.

Those affected can now contact Chevron at [email protected] to register their details and the number of coupons they have left. A refund plan will be worked out.

Said the Chevron spokesman: 'Legally, Chevron bears no responsibility in connection with L.K.W.'s services because it is an independent operator, but we will not leave customers stranded.'

Edited by User12343
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Quote:IMAGINE getting your family saloon washed for under a dollar or your seven-seater MPV for $2.80, when car washers at petrol stations charge about $6.

Car owners thought they were on to a good thing when an independent car-wash and servicing company at a Caltex petrol station sold them stacks of 50 or 100 car-wash coupons, each redeemable for a car wash at less than a dollar for a family saloon. Fifty dollars bought 56 coupons.

This shows that this old adage is true: If it is too good to be true, it ain't true

(edited)

I've been married for five years and my in laws lived in the next door condo. The CW vendor has been doing this for the last five years and counting. If Caltex didn't terminate, we'll still have the cheapo CW. To think that they are trying to get some compliment for their sudden righteous act which they have not acted for the last couple of years. Kudo to Caltex MY FOOT!!!!!! Dumbass company.

Edited by Axmeister

(edited)

been there once.......noticed the great crowd of cars, some blocked the entrance to the petrol/diesel pump-stations, & long queque on the main road. [:(]

Edited by Normal_aspirated

Turbocharged

that's the reason i'll never buy such stuff....it's so common someone buy a "package" and the next morning that particular company close shop.......

my take is, if im to put my $$ in advance somewhere, that company better be someone....IF Aunty lucy has such service and package, by all means buy and save $$ but if someone open a shop name Robert Tan Ah Kow washing services offer such service at certain corner, i will NOT bother to buy the package.....rather pay for each service... [laugh]

Heard that the CW shifted to Caltex @ Sembawang Road, opps Neesoon camp(7BTS).

Went there once, the Q still so long and space get smaller.

Cars have to Q til main rd to wait for their turn.

Coupon still can use,but cash payment is $5 instead of $3.

Lucky I never buy many many.....but got few pieces only...now waiting for refund.... [:p]

I got a few ..... they gave me 3 when I went there to service my car. So I didn't paid a single cent for the coupons. Heard that they relocated to a Petrol station opposite Yishun camp.

Neutral Newbie

I have been washing my car there with the coupons also.

I tends to believe that Caltex terminated them due to the fact that too many cars there blocking up the station, and not for the reason they claimed. The business was so good, especially weekends, that 8 out of 10 cars there were for the wash and not the petrol.

May be the situation is so bad for Caltex that it affects their normal business and income.

Sad. Corporate politics. [rifle]

Neutral Newbie

Quote: May be the situation is so bad for Caltex that it affects their normal business and income.

I think you are 100% right. I used to go there for petrol but the many cars queuing up for car wash jammed up the place so badly that I stopped going there. After pumping petrol, to get out of the place was also a problem. I have switched to the Caltex along AMK Ave. 1.

I still have got 30 coupons left leh!!

The one at Caltex Nee Soon wun close down rite?

Else I would have to get refund already.

Neutral Newbie

I think @ Sembawang station (Ngee Soon Camp) one is even worst. The jam is until the Sembawang Rd. I think sooner or later not the station complain, but the TP. [sweatdrop]

If you have tickets, spread some to friends and relatives to use it up.

Neutral Newbie

I still have 21 coupons left, that's about $42 [smallcry][smallcry][smallcry] . I can buy 21 plates of chicken rice with that! [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry] . Anyway, have sent my details to Chevron, hopefully can hear some good news.

The one at Sembawang a bit too far from home leh. Drive there to wash car lagi more lugi.

Yah, distance between the upp thomson and sembawang caltex is around 4km. I still try to go there weekly to use up my coupons.

↡ Advertisement