Hardtop Convertible MX-5: The Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coup

Spas

Neutral Newbie

At the 2006 British International Motor Show, Mazda is revealing the new Mazda MX-5, now equipped with a power retractable hard top roof.

From official press release:

The British International Motor Show will be held in London until Sunday, 30 July, 2006.

Featuring a new, unique power retractable hard top roof, this is an all-new addition to the third-generation Mazda MX-5 which has been celebrated globally since 2005.

According to Mazda "This new MX-5 model provides a unified sense of driving exhilaration, ready to spread the fun of lightweight sports cars in diverse and distinct new ways."

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

I think will cost 100K up latest model with auto roof when it arrives here.

I still think the Opel Tigra looks better. [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Specs unknown for now, but whole idea seems strange to me.

"Well since everyone is going for a CC (Coupe Convertible), why not let's do it too!"

Maybe that's what they're thinking of.

1. Light-weight roadster => heavy-weight roadster

2. Reasonable boot space => unreasonable boot space

3. They already have a hardtop attachment no?

4. Now how are they going to compensate the weight balance when another extra 100kg goes in nearer the rear?

[confused]

Agreed.

The 1st moment i saw this: hmmm, nice. That's what a NEW MX-5 needs. A foldable hardtop.

But then: Wait a minute! The MX-5 is suppose to be a light, zippy and balanced roadster! They are adding a whole lump of weight to the back.

Or they did'nt do anything else at all? Or did they threw in some 'dumb bells' at the front end? Being heavier means poorer handling and performance too. Isn't it?

Unless they put a larger(heavier) engine up front, tweak up the chassis to re-balance the WD and CG.

Wah, Carbon fibre should be quite expensive liao leh. But even if it's CF, all the pumps, motors and linkages will add substantial weight as well. No diff hor?

The new 3 series convertible? I did read about it before that it's going to be a CC. Yet to catch a glimpse of it though.

Let's see...

Neutral Newbie

oh not launched yet ah?

today (Sat) classified got one PI price the hardtop convertable at $90k leh.. the soft top one i think they put $83k not sure [sweatdrop]

mx-5 was built in the tradition of the 1st Lotus Elan, and it's

soft top can be open/close easily within seconds manually. Why

would Mazda build this mx-5 a cc ?? afterall, a roadster should

be fun and iconic, like NA,NB & to some extent, the NC.

Neutral Newbie

Think the hard top looks nicer than the soft-top, really. Seems like it's the same technology as for the Volvo C70, ie a 3-part retracting roof, different from those used for the Peugeot and Slks.

However, one still need skills to drive one of these. Remember an accident not too long ago who a car saleslady loss her life to a reckless driver during test-drive. [blush]

↡ Advertisement