Chery QQ reviews ONLY

Glyuen

Turbocharged

i think swift too fast for you...

wanna play with my STOCK auto civic? 1.5L nia..lower cc than your 168.. [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Extract directly from the Life!Motoring section today...

------------------------------------------------------------------

BITE THIS CHERY?

It's cheap: just over $30,000. It's easy on the gas: 4.2litres per 100km. But it handles like a bumper car. Will Singapore buyers bite?

Christoper Tan

SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

When Hundai made its debut here 25 years ago, it did so with a car called Pony. Hyundai was virtually an unknown car brand back then, which made the Pony a horse with no name.

Sorry for the refernece to that baby boomer hit. I figured if you remember the Pony, you would remember America. The soft rock group, no the land of the free. Never mind.

Anyway, the Pony was nasty. The only car that equalled it was the Lada Samara, a thinly-disguised Russian loaf machine that arrived a decade later.

In a case of history repeating itself, we are now confronted with the first China-made car to land here, the Chery QQ. Scoff not, as carmakers everywhere are prone to corny names for their products - Concerto, Bluebird, Sylhpy, Phaeton, Bora, Ghibli to name a few.

Besides, its name is the least of the QQ's problems. Essentially, the car has several years of catching up to do. Its body betrays shutlines wide enough to hold magazines; noise insulation is so bad that it may be quieter to drive with windows down; and fit and finish must have been alien concepts to its plant workers..

The QQ operates like an amusement park bumper car. Its pedal are spongy, its brakes are squishy and its sterring is disembodied.

Its gear changes are almost as vague as those you would experience in an old pick-up truck. And its doors shut with the hollowness of a biscuit tin.

Its sub-litre engine has weak low-end torque, and its transmission ratios do not make for relaxed higway cruising. It also rides like a kangaroo.. And the list goes on.

But to be fair (and generous), the car has to be viewed for what it is: the least expensive set of wheels you can buy. Then again, just a bit more will buy you a pretty decent Kia Picanto.

The QQ is not all bad, though. It has some of the niceties that you expect of modern cars. Alloy rims (13-inch), super efficient air-con, 60-40 split folding rear seats and one-touched powered windows all round. It even comes with a remote key, which some more expensive cars do not offer.

The remote key has a nifty feature: It winds up all open windows when you press the Lock button. and if you ignore the wind and engine noises, the 880kg car is quite capable of keeping up with the traffic on the right lane.

Should you buy this car?

Well consider this. It took the Japanese 40 years to become estabilished automotive players. The Koreans took 20. If all goes well, it should take the Chinese 10 years to do the same.

If so, here's your chance to partake of history in the making..

> [email protected]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where is this person now? hardly see him these days...

• Praise 1

0-100 in 11 sec?

i rem there is a forumer who has high regards for his vios 06 manual transmission, which he says on paper its 9.8s.... think he added some mods to make it even faster [sly]

and his is only 1.5l..

• Praise 1

Well I drive a QQ. I'll summarize the experience as a fun and zippy drive! I look forward to driving my car everyday! [thumbsup]

Is ur car manual or auto one?

Hi there [sweatdrop] It's amazing that people still remember me here. My 168 is good, faster than before! [sly]

Hope you still remember me. [sly][wave][wave][wave]

Oh course I remember you! How's your little Kelisa coming along? Packing it with more ICE goodies?

Oh well, the ol' Milo tin is surviving very well. Still waiting for a quarter-mile run with you. When you wanna go PG? [sly]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

come leh..

mine bery slow one..sure lose to your ADM charged A168..

can help you boost ego for the final run with a lamborghini.. [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Well I drive a QQ. I'll summarize the experience as a fun and zippy drive! I look forward to driving my car everyday! [thumbsup]

I like your reply.. reminds me of my ex-old car. [thumbsup]

Always looked forward to starting her up.

so long as you enjoy driving it, it's all that matters.. [:)]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

correction..

the cookie tin has a air charger on board..boost from 97bhp to 127bhp..which is higher than my civic.. [:p]

There is really no reason to mock the QQ or any China product. I would not be too surprised that your Civic is made in Thailand. The Civic Vtec is already such an old technology. You don't see people running about with their digital watch do you? Peace i am out.

• Praise 1

[laugh]

Thanks for the article.

BTW, my QQ's manual! [thumbsup] ZIPPY Bro... ZIPPY!!!

Yeah. QQ is really zippy, with it's small body it can weave traffic really well. And with it's light frame it's torque transfers better to speed. You may even overtake a Civic within it's first 70kmph.

QQ is a great car.

• Praise 1

Hi there [sweatdrop] It's amazing that people still remember me here. My 168 is good, faster than before! [sly]

Hope you still remember me. [sly][wave][wave][wave]

Oh course I remember you! How's your little Kelisa coming along? Packing it with more ICE goodies?

Oh well, the ol' Milo tin is surviving very well. Still waiting for a quarter-mile run with you. When you wanna go PG? [sly]

Are you serious here? What car is that? Even Malaysians don't drive that car. Does it vibrate when it's moving? I would recommend you selling that car away.

Thank you.

• Praise 1