Timing Belt Change At 50,000km For Aveo5 Advise Wanted!

Newsman

Timing Belt Change At 50,000km For Aveo5 Advise Wanted!

Any Experience Engine Savvy to advise.

My Aveo5 due to reach 50,000km soon & Engine seem very good & normal.

Should I change Timing Belt at 50,000km as recommended

or drag further to 70,000km.

Drive only on Singapore Road, changing at 50,000km seem too early.

Most Car Agent requires 70-80,000km before changing.

How to cut cost & save $$$ ?

↡ Advertisement

Check your manual. I rather follow that than what the dealer say. i suggest changing at 80,000km. Go for 100,000km if u dare. Maybe Genie can provide more info. He;s very knowledgeable and drive Aveo.

Don't take risk. Follow the car manual. My previous conti car had to change timing belt at 40k according to the book. My friend's car belt snapped just before 40k. Of course he refused to pay for the repair which cost 5k. My present car need to change at 100k. So changing time belt would depend on the manufacturer.

Timing belt is the piece of rubber that runs the engine.. Pullng the pulleys in the engine.

It is advisible to change at the recommended interval... Even if it looks fine from the naked eye, the belt might have cracks on it's underside.. My regular mch has shown me a fine looking example but when he turned the belt inside out and bent it, can see the cracks on it...

Failure of timing belt is no joke as when it snaps, it will cause serious damage to the engine.. And this in turn means a huge repair bill... So rather pend a few hundred on regular maintenance than to spend a bomb on a huge repair..

Moooooooooo

For my former car I change my timing belt at 60,000km however as recommended it should be 80,000km you should check in the workshop if all is well you can delay it. [flowerface]

Th price varies for diff workshop. It take min half a day. Labour charges start from $150 to $1000 (dealer)... the cost of material can check with official stock list.

Best is to check the manual instead of follow agent.

Neutral Newbie

Yah1! it's better to follow the owner menu [thumbsup] . previously my friend he

brought a 15yrs car after 2mths + his T. belt snap n cause him few K to repaired

[smash] .

I would say, follow what the car manufacturer recommended. I suggest you save $$$ on other stuff like eg. using mineral engine oil, don't wash your car with shampoo/wax, eat smaller portition of meal, drive less, etc. [;)][;)]

Think cut down to 2 meals a day for the next 5 months.

So $4 x 150 days ...wow $600.

That shl be $$$$ to change the Time Belt.

I will b lighter & so use less Fuel too...Great [idea]

Neutral Newbie

Ya. There is a timing belt and a fan belt for the car right. I bought my fan belt from Song Yi at $26.25 and changed at Starauto at $28.88 (labour charge) during my repair work yesterday. THe fan belt was partially broken during my routine check.

Will buy the timing belt set from Song YI and change at outside workshop at Sing Ming that charge $168 for the 60K servicing. This will help to save cost. For those afraid void warranty, then change at SA with the set purchase from Song Yi loh. Correct me if I am wrong. [laugh]

You will need a new water pump seal too because when the tension the timing belt, they need to turn the pump and an old seal would simply leak ! Of course, when you have the timing belt removed, you should also check for free play on the timing belt idle bearings and the water pump. If there are radial movement or weird noise, you should get them replaced as well or else when they fail, it would be the same as having the timing belt snap on you.

Cheers

CBX

Sorry to bring this old thread up...

Thinking of changing my timing belts for my 50k servicing. Know any workshop (not SA thank you) that do all those checks and not anyhow replace and without really adjusting the tension and such?

By the way, i should change my water pump also right?

↡ Advertisement