Octavia II - Homogulation in process

Koolaba

Dear all,

I have been informed that the Octavia II models are currently undergoing homogulation at LTA. For those who are keen to have a feel and drive of the Octavia II, please be patient. The display and test drive units (less VRS) should be ready in 4 to 5 weeks' time.

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

There is no formal literature on LTA or OneMotoring.com.sg website. The process is to ensure that the cars imported to Singapore meet the requirements laid down by LTA. Some of the many criteria are: emission standards, noise level, provision of basic lighting amenities such as headlamps, night driving lamps, signal indicators etc.

From what I have understood, the homogolation certificate is valid for a certain make, model, body type with a specific transmission. For example, if the Superb with manual transmission will be made available, it must undergo another homogolation process. The homogolation certificate for the Superb with automatic transmission cannot be transferred for a manual Superb.

This process will be quite a major exercise for CA since the following Octavia II models will require homogolation:

- VRS Sedan Manual

- VRS Combi Manual

- Sedan Manual

- Sedan Auto

- Combi Auto

From what you mentioned, it looks like some form of certification.

If there's anything in the current batch that LTA says 'NO', what's CA going to do with the cars that they've unloaded off the ship ? Modify it until LTA say 'OK' ? Can't possibly ship the whole shipment back to Skoda, right ?

Neutral Newbie

Ha..ha..No offence but I've always wondered what the engineers do at LTA to certify a car fit for our roads.4 to 5 weeks? Kind of long to be checking for emmision,lighting,noise specs right? Manufacturer's specs not good enough? [rolleyes]

This is Singapore mah. Everything also must be better, stricter, more than others.

Others where got good enuf ? shakehead.gif

Only Singapore certified then only good enuf for Singapore roads mah ..... sly.gif

From what you mentioned, it looks like some form of certification.

If there's anything in the current batch that LTA says 'NO', what's CA going to do with the cars that they've unloaded off the ship ? Modify it until LTA say 'OK' ? Can't possibly ship the whole shipment back to Skoda, right ?

If that happens, the cars will have to be exported out, simple as that... it did happen with some "sports" cars previously [lipsrsealed]

Having said that, I really wonder what LTA engineers do in this 'homogulation' process ?

Check against manufacturer's specs ? 100% or sample check ? If 100% then not surprise it takes 4-5 weeks considering all the models in the shipment ? Some more other car manufacturers also got new models etc.

Or is it just rubber stamping on manufacturer's specs. ? This is not a new model & it has been around on Europe's road for 2 years or more already. What's there for them to 'homogulate' ?

Its not as if the car has never been on public road before.

Neutral Newbie

Dunno, but i think minimum they will check the emission, safety, and even things like windscreen tint. The peugeot 307cc, when it first came here, apparently could not "pass" and a less tinted windscreen had to be fitted for SG market.

This is what I found regarding homologation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homologation

Homologation From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homologation is a technical term, derived from the Greek homologos (ομόλογος) for "agree", which is generally used in English to signify the granting of approval by an official authority. This may be a court of law, a government department, or an academic or professional body, any of which would normally work from a set of strict rules or standards to determine whether such approval should be given. The word may be considered very roughly synonymous with accreditation, and in fact in French may be used with regard to academic degrees (see apostille). Certified is another possible synonym, while to homologate is the infinitive form.

In today's marketplace, for instance, products must often be homologated by some public agency to assure that they meet standards for such things as safety and environmental impact. A court action may also sometimes be homologated by a judicial authority before it can proceed, and the term has a precise legal meaning in the law codes of some countries.

The word is used within the European Union in those papers that are direct translations from French to refer to the processes of making trade standards and laws consistent throughout the whole of the union. British journalists usually prefer to use the term harmonisation for this purpose.

Another usage pertains to the biological sciences, where it may describe the similarities used to assign organisms to the same family or taxon, similarities they have jointly inherited from a common ancestor.

Perhaps the closest this word comes to everyday usage is in reference to racing vehicles. Many motorsports fans know that a vehicle must be homologated by the sanctioning body in order to race in a given league, such as NASCAR or Formula One. The names of the Ferrari 250 GTO and its namesake, the Pontiac GTO, preserve this sense of the word, as the initials stand for "Gran Turismo Omologato," the Italian for "Grand Touring, Homologated."

Dear all,

I have been informed that the Octavia II models are currently undergoing homogulation at LTA. For those who are keen to have a feel and drive of the Octavia II, please be patient. The display and test drive units (less VRS) should be ready in 4 to 5 weeks' time.

can't wait to get my hands on one of those sly.gif

Neutral Newbie

Don't mention it, my friend! When the vRS price comes down nearer to 90k mark, or if they decides to drop in the DSG, I'll be rather interested [;)]

↡ Advertisement