Opel Vectra 1.8 MTA, worth it ?

Darth_mel

Let me guess, this is an old set of wheels on a Nissan Stanza ? Does this wheel fit your Astra ? Got any picture of your ride with this huge 18" wheel ? The tires must cost a fortune.....$250 a piece at least !

18inchmadeinjapannx8.jpg

↡ Advertisement

The wheels were from my ex-Galant VRG but tires threw away

Wheels are now on my 3 mths old Astra H 1.6MTA

Tires I chose Firenza ST-03 bcos they're 4-in-1 High Performance, Grip Power, Quiet and Comfort

Bought 4 pcs from Stamford Tyres total $972.00 after discount using 'in-tune' member card

Earlier I was a Falken fans but after tried Firenza I'm real convinced [thumbsup]

astra.gif

Edited by Kopi_beans

Lucky the PCD fitted the Astra ! Wah....even after discount, it is still $243 per piece ! Cannot imagine an 18" wheel giving you comfort ! Handling and performance yes but comfort ? Sure or not ? Must be a 45 series tires, right ? Must be like riding on Fork Lift tires ! Solid like a rock.

If I had an Astra-H, I would down grading the wheel from the standard 16" to a 15" tires sized at 185/65 R15 ! This would really give you COMFORT but there would be a compromise on the handling and performance arena. Pick up and FC would also improve as well. BTW, with such a wheel fitted, what is your FC like ? Do you feel that the pick is much affected ? I mean, with the increase wheel mass ( 17" rims and tires ) surely you would feel the diff ?

Edited by Cbx750p

Neutral Newbie

Know this has been quite inactive but keeping fingers crossed if anyone can help. was thinking of getting the vectra 1.8 mta but so far anyone here heard of the gearbox issue?

nope... we have owned 3 generation of Opel Vectra, we had the Vectra C 2.2 which we change for a 1.8 Zafira.. bought the zafia for 4 yrs already... we also have an Opel Astra H 1.6 using MTA... no issue with both cars... all our opels that we owned are brand new so we take care of the car... 2nd hand cars not sure if owner knows how to drive the car cos Opel MTA gear is not like other auto gearbox... takes a while to practice to get use to it... the auto is not fully auto, need to release accelerator to change gear, its a clutchless system... its not like other auto cars where the gear auto changes for you... if drive like normal auto car will have clutch slippage and it cost quite alot of money to change... so yup...

Edited by Meganut

Know this has been quite inactive but keeping fingers crossed if anyone can help. was thinking of getting the vectra 1.8 mta but so far anyone here heard of the gearbox issue?

Look at it this way: Opel Vectra probably cost $5-10k cheaper than those jap made and at least $10-$15k cheaper than VWs of simar class and year. But in terms of build quality and comfort it is equivalent or may be better in some areas. Even if the gearbox give you problems, it cost you $3k to change it and you work out the maths, it is still worth it.

At this market trend, resale Opel is the best buy. It's depreciation is similar to that of Korean car but u get conti quality.

<<At this market trend, resale Opel is the best buy. It's depreciation is similar to that of Korean car but u get conti quality.>>

Very tempting indeed.

<<At this market trend, resale Opel is the best buy. It's depreciation is similar to that of Korean car but u get conti quality.>>

Very tempting indeed.

[sly] gian gian right? Me also calculated the depreciation between Japanese, Korean and Europe car. My choice narrow to Fiat, Opel or Ford in the end choose Opel [drivingcar]

What's your servicing cost like ?

I'm looking at a used Legacy 2.0R and Mazda 6 hatchback as well, both 07 models.

same remarks goes to vw.... [laugh]

agreed but the VW do have a higher OMV ..

Volkwagen Golf 1.6 A = $22893 ( Basic Cost $64,368 retail price = $84,400 ) $20032

Opel Astra 1.6 MTA = $18318 (Basic Cost $53,571 retail price = $67688 )$14117

Toyota Altis 1.6 = $15,921 (Basic cost $47,915 retail price = $55488 )$7573

Nissan Latio 1.5 = $15254 - (Basic Cost $46,340 : Retail price = $57,800)$11460

Chev Optra 1.6A = $13724 - ( Basic cost $42,730 : Retail price = $52,000 )$9270

Looks like Toyota makes the less profit selling their Altis while VW makes the most !

CBX

Interesting, that's why given stable market, same Coe, Toyota cars depreciates less. But having said that, vw golf is a different car vs the corolla, so ppl still buy......

I owned the Astra MTA 1.6 for 15mths. In the time I owned it, all I spent was replacing rear brake

Pads on top of usual servicing. Just fed the car some $29.90 c-- ---e from Carrefour. No issues at all. Handling was fantastic... Power is a bit lacking though. When I bought the car, mileage was around 105k, resold the car at 145k mileage.

Value for money. If the gearbox actuator fails, just a simple $2k fix.

Was aiming for one last year when hunting around but out of budget... haha... after much research... this car is the closest you can get to manual GB with the luxury of auto. And yes... gearbox actuator are the common failures after 5 years... 1~2k to replace it i think...

good NCAP rating and EU built...

if you have budget, go for it.

For me, I end up settling for a Optra Estate... the sister to the opel haha...

What's your servicing cost like ?

I'm looking at a used Legacy 2.0R and Mazda 6 hatchback as well, both 07 models.

Haven start service. Bought 2nd hand less than a yr astra. Probably end of this month will go for servicing.

↡ Advertisement