Shell Helix Ultra

Coaxialcable

Neutral Newbie

I used to buy amsoil from a chap formerly from this forum.

Dun see him here anymore. U might wanna call him.

He deals with Amsoil. Must admit it is quite a good oil but quite difficult to find. Saw his thread @ other car forums.

[thumbsup]

I know Mobil 1 gold is 0w40..

Wat about Castrol SLX or Amsoil?

I like to know where can get good lobangs on these engine oils.. [rolleyes]

IMHO, you can give Shell Helix Ultra a miss [:p]

Get the Mobil Gold, Castrol SLX, Amsoil ... etc instead if your pocket allows you [;)]

I have received an e-mail posting from AAS today and I have extracted the following entitled 'The Slippery Truth About Engine Oil' for members who are in doubt.

The Problem

Which oil will work best in my car? Just like petrol, engine oil is another vital liquid that no car can run without. As commonly referred to as 'lube' oil, this substance plays a significant role in limiting the engine's wear, influencing its fuel economy and even aids cooling to a certain extent. As with petrol, engine oil is available in several grades or viscosities. Also referred to as 'weight', these are denoted by numbers such as 5-W40. Generally speaking, older cars tend to require thicker viscosities such as 15-W50 while newer cars engines are built with finer tolerances and can use thinner oils such as a 0-W30 weight.

What To Do

To find out which oil suits your car, refer to the owner's manual or check with your car's dealer. There are many different brands on the market of varying qualities - price is usually a good indicator of how good an engine oil is, so shop around.

What It Means

The advantage of using a 'lighter' oil is that it flows more quickly to the engine's moving parts during start-up and a thinner oil also helps the engine's fuel efficiency as the moving parts within it have less resistance to work against.

Another way of explaining this concept would be to imagine how much more energy you'll need to stir a bucket of thick liquid verses a bucket of water.

Unlike petrol, cars are more sensitive to the engine oil that's put in them and as a general rule you should never mix different oils in the same engine.

Engine oils also come in three basic categories; mineral, semi-synthetic and fully synthetic. While mineral is often the cheapest, fully synthetic oil is the most expensive as it lasts the longest.

Oils 'break down' or loose their viscosity over time or distance driven. When this happens, the engine oil looses its ability to protect the engine. So long-lasting fully synthetic oil will ensure the best protection right up to your next service.

Even though most synthetic engine oils claim to be effective way in excess of your car's recommended servicing intervals, you should still keep to the latter schedule to maintain your car properly.

Edited by Mikeyeo
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

previously I always did service my car at AD, they used full Synthetic Shell Helix Ultrs 5W-40, cost about $115, but I found same brand 15w-40 only $40, I'm thinking whether I can use 15w-40 instead of 5w-40, I googled the different of 5W flows at a colder temperature than 15W, but Singapore always summer, should not be any weather low temperture problem, how come to select 5W which more expensive?

Hi all,

previously I always did service my car at AD, they used full Synthetic Shell Helix Ultrs 5W-40, cost about $115, but I found same brand 15w-40 only $40, I'm thinking whether I can use 15w-40 instead of 5w-40, I googled the different of 5W flows at a colder temperature than 15W, but Singapore always summer, should not be any weather low temperture problem, how come to select 5W which more expensive?

fully Synthetic vs mineral. 5w40 as you have point out is fully Synthetic . 15w40 usually is all fleet oil, or diesel oil usually is mineral base oil which is cheaper.

• Praise 1

Hi all,

In my Google on 5 40....10 40.....article says that while at high temp....same thick...the 10 has more. ..oil....bcoz the the 5 needs more vi....which is some plastic melted into the oil during making.....high temp like constant hard driving aside.....at a ave operating temp....the 10 will b thicker......i can feel it in my laopokcar n prev bikes....very obvios...the vibes during 1st few min of driving n still noticeble....after full warm. Thers 15 40 full syn....elf or was it total....saw at ws.....thinner oil...based on same standards cost more as they need even more vi to bring up thickness....when needed. So same car driven same way for 20 mins....ave conditions.....the 10 will b thicker.

• Praise 1

In my Google on 5 40....10 40.....article says that while at high temp....same thick...the 10 has more. ..oil....bcoz the the 5 needs more vi....which is some plastic melted into the oil during making.....high temp like constant hard driving aside.....at a ave operating temp....the 10 will b thicker......i can feel it in my laopokcar n prev bikes....very obvios...the vibes during 1st few min of driving n still noticeble....after full warm. Thers 15 40 full syn....elf or was it total....saw at ws.....thinner oil...based on same standards cost more as they need even more vi to bring up thickness....when needed. So same car driven same way for 20 mins....ave conditions.....the 10 will b thicker.

sorry cnnot get you,

can you stright forward to say can or cannot use full Synthetic Shell Helix Ultrs 15W-40 to replace 5W-40 in Singapore condition, any harm to engine?

sorry cnnot get you,

can you stright forward to say can or cannot use full Synthetic Shell Helix Ultrs 15W-40 to replace 5W-40 in Singapore condition, any harm to engine?

In short can. Unless ur manual says no to 15 40 for ur car.

• Praise 1

Hi all,

My 2 cents -

Comparing the specs of 15w40 mineral vs 5w40 synthetic,

a) @40 degree s celcius, 5w40 is thinner - flows faster = better startup protection

b) @100 degrees Celsius, 5w40 is thinner = flow faster which may translate to less heat generated and better FC

c) synthetic perhaps can last 10k oil change cycle

d) mineral best to change at 5k

e) synthetic better resistance to high temperature

Choosing the right engine oil depends on a lot of factors. Here are a few consideration.

gentle driving - 15w40

normal driving - 15w40

spirited driving - 5w40

long distance - 15w40

short distance - 5w40

multiple long distance - 15w40

multiple short distance - 5w40

light traffic - 15w40

heavy traffic - 5w40

In the end, just use 5w40 ?

My 2 cents -

10k oil change seems to be recommended for Japanese cars. Conti cars service intervals are 15k to 20k or more. WIth decades of technological advancement, the Japanse maunufacturers should have improved on the servicing requirements.

Changing engine oil unnecessarily is a waste of money and earth's resources, not to mention additional polution when disposing of the used oil.

• Praise 2

10k oil change seems to be recommended for Japanese cars. Conti cars service intervals are 15k to 20k or more. WIth decades of technological advancement, the Japanse maunufacturers should have improved on the servicing requirements.

Changing engine oil unnecessarily is a waste of money and earth's resources, not to mention additional polution when disposing of the used oil.

UOA may tell you otherwise.

To some, they may have to change EO at 5k as the usage is similar to Severe operating conditions.

My 2 cents -

Comparing the specs of 15w40 mineral vs 5w40 synthetic,

a) @40 degree s celcius, 5w40 is thinner - flows faster = better startup protection

b) @100 degrees Celsius, 5w40 is thinner = flow faster which may translate to less heat generated and better FC

d) mineral best to change at 5k

e) synthetic better resistance to high temperature

Choosing the right engine oil depends on a lot of factors. Here are a few consideration.

gentle driving - 15w40

normal driving - 15w40

spirited driving - 5w40

long distance - 15w40

short distance - 5w40

multiple long distance - 15w40

multiple short distance - 5w40

light traffic - 15w40

heavy traffic - 5w40

In the end, just use 5w40 ?

In the end,just use shell oil
↡ Advertisement