(mkIII) Toledo was a mistake.......... says Luc (Lambo Designer)

Fluffy

SEAT Design Director interview

Written by andyb

Thursday, 07 September 2006

SEATCupra.net is proud to bring you an interview, which vehicle design magazine 'Auto & Design' published with the head of SEAT Design, Luc Donckerwolke.

The designer comments on why he left Lamborghini, the future design direction of the SEAT brand and why he feels the Toledo was a mistake.

Reproduced with the kind permission of Auto & Design Magazine.

SEATCupra.net is proud to bring you an interview, which vehicle design magazine 'Auto & Design' published, with the head of SEAT Design, Luc Donckerwolke.

"Why I accepted SEAT"

By Silvia Baruffaldi, Auto & Design

I chose a satin effect paint for the Ibiza Vaillante, as I wanted soft, silky surfaces that cry out to be touched. This is exactly what I do at SEAT: I bring people into contact with the brand." Luc Donckerwolke has been director of design at the Spanish marque since September 15th last year and the Vaillante, created in the three weeks leading up to Geneva, was his first work officially presented to the public.

This express project was also of symbolic value: the Ibiza is SEAT's key car and, in anticipation of the new generation scheduled to debut in 2008, this prototype, inspired by the cartoons of Graton (with whom Donckerwolke has worked for a number of years), is a declaration of the marque's intent towards young, positive and compelling design.

In reality, the involvement with SEAT of former director of Lamborghini design Donckerwolke goes back much further. "At the Sant'Agata Bolognese design centre I worked on proposals for the entire group, from Audis and SEATs to Volkswagens. I thought that by doing this, I would be able to meet the demands of the management while staying at Lamborghini." However, a different destiny was waiting for him:

"In May 2095, Walter de' Silva told me that a model I had done for SEAT had gone down very well and that not only did they want me to take it further, but that I was also to follow its entire development by becoming head of the design centre. I turned the offer down, because I believed that my work at Lamborghini wasn't done yet. It was more of an emotional choice than anything else, a relationship that I had with the marque and its people. I was torn between this new and significant acknowledgment of my work and my ties with the marque."

After the third "no," however, Donckerwolke changed his mind. "De'Silva explained that SEAT is of strategic importance for him and the group. I now realise that this has been a great opportunity. I have learnt much in six months, managing a team of 70 is very different from directing a small group. What's more, here we're talking about half a million cars, not two thousand, and whatever you do has much further reaching and more significant repercussions." This is not to say that he has forgotten Lamborghini:

"My heart is still there and I'm always on the phone to them. Filippo Perini and Alessandro Serra are doing an excellent job of continuing the work, and I realise that I have built a very strong team with them. I know I could achieve even more by bringing them to SEAT, but I'd never do that, as it would destroy what we have done at Lamborghini."

In the meanwhile, the project for the new Ibiza forges on. While it is still too early to talk in any detail, Donckerwolke hints at a radical new development in the range: "I insisted on having clearly differentiated three and five door versions. The three door will be smaller and sporty, a coupe. I see it a little like a new Lancia Integrale: compact and youthful with attitude, and capable of revitalising the brand."

SEAT has already proposed innovative design with cars like the Altea and Leon, but it still lacks a sufficiently strong brand image to sustain such innovation.

"SEAT has always been known for offering good performance for your money, but without any styling airs. The problem is that today the brand is contradicting this image, and its customers no longer recognise it - they simply weren't ready for such a change. We must also remember that this has all happened in a very short timeframe, in a little over a year and a half." The order in which the new models have been launched has also not helped: "The Leon is doing well and is now having a knock-on effect on the other models in the family. Generally, any icon model has to first pave the way for its derivatives and only then does the customer choose what to buy to suit his or her needs."

An estate version of the Altea

post-22-1158888443_thumb.jpg

post-22-1158888444_thumb.jpg

post-22-1158888445_thumb.jpg

post-22-1158888446_thumb.jpg

post-22-1158888447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fluffy
↡ Advertisement

Well, if they would bring back the Bolero concept and updated wit a modern touch ....... else don't think there will be any interest beyond MkIII.

Oh....just to add - saw a Cupra kitted MkII Tody today ....... still so lovely inlove.gif

gold color?

yes, it would be great if he does a Bolero meets Gallardo sedan...........i'd probably be in queue.... join me lah!

How to join ?? My next "refresh" would have to wait till 2010 or later ....... sly.gif

Just wonder "who" penned the design on the Mk III.

Leon is unimpressed.gif

Altea is dead.gif

Toledo is knife.gif

in response to your title, all I can say is "what the heck took them so long to realise?"

even my kid, who's highly tolerant of Bangled-designs, can't stand the mk3 [hur]

err....perhaps the designer was the acclaimed Walter da Saliva, whose is the overall head of design??

oh and he is also Luc's boss..... brave guy, i must say.

I mean, it takes balls to say your boss's design is shite.