1.6A optra fuel comsumption

Maxell00

Drove a 2nd hand 1.6A 2008 Magnum Estate for about a year now after scraping my 1.5A Aveo5. Overall the car feels safe and stable. FC wise is about 8-9km/L, dunno what to do to improve that, tried driving light-footed and revving hard and find the FC still the same. Already changed the 14inch wheels to 16inch. No grounding done except basic servicing, installing LCD screen DVD player and changing a lot of common wear-and-tear parts due to its age. Auto mirror abit cranking but still functioning. Lotsa boot space for grocery shopping and seating space. Aircon is ok during the day but super cold at night.

↡ Advertisement

Drove a 2nd hand 1.6A 2008 Magnum Estate for about a year now after scraping my 1.5A Aveo5. Overall the car feels safe and stable. FC wise is about 8-9km/L, dunno what to do to improve that, tried driving light-footed and revving hard and find the FC still the same. Already changed the 14inch wheels to 16inch. No grounding done except basic servicing, installing LCD screen DVD player and changing a lot of common wear-and-tear parts due to its age. Auto mirror abit cranking but still functioning. Lotsa boot space for grocery shopping and seating space. Aircon is ok during the day but super cold at night.

8 to 9km/L is normal for Optra, no way to improve further, and you changed 14 inch rim to 16", only caused the FC worse.

Optra got auto mirror? Only for estate model bah. I still driving my 2nd hand 08 Optra since 2011 in Stock condition, FC is about 11 to 12km/l consistently.. About your FC, maybe the weight of estate and sedan model is different. But to calculate FC accurately, pump your fuel tank to the brim(until abit overflow), drive until you refuel again, pump to brim again.. Divide the distance from odometer by liters of fuel pumped. Dun rely on the autostop function of the pump as every fuel pump is calibrated differently.. Hope you'll have better mileage..

8 to 9km/L is normal for Optra, no way to improve further, and you changed 14 inch rim to 16", only caused the FC worse.

In fact, FC no diff even after I changed to 16" rims (from 14" stock steel rims to 16" taiwanese sports rim). Felt corner handling and driving on NSHW feel much more stable after the 16" was installed.

Optra got auto mirror? Only for estate model bah. I still driving my 2nd hand 08 Optra since 2011 in Stock condition, FC is about 11 to 12km/l consistently.. About your FC, maybe the weight of estate and sedan model is different. But to calculate FC accurately, pump your fuel tank to the brim(until abit overflow), drive until you refuel again, pump to brim again.. Divide the distance from odometer by liters of fuel pumped. Dun rely on the autostop function of the pump as every fuel pump is calibrated differently.. Hope you'll have better mileage..

Sorry, i think its not "auto" mirror but "motorised" mirror that closes manually via touch of a button when parking in narrow parking lots. Yes, mine is the estate facelift model. Ok, good point... will try to fill the tank to the brim next time and calculate. Usually I only filled til it auto stops...and maybe just pump 1 to 2 pumps more...not even 1L more...and it auto stops 1 - 2 times more also...haha. Coz not sure how much more I can pump as the opening of the tank has got a "spring door" and can't see how much more it can go. Not dangerous to let it overflow abit?

Sorry, i think its not "auto" mirror but "motorised" mirror that closes manually via touch of a button when parking in narrow parking lots. Yes, mine is the estate facelift model. Ok, good point... will try to fill the tank to the brim next time and calculate. Usually I only filled til it auto stops...and maybe just pump 1 to 2 pumps more...not even 1L more...and it auto stops 1 - 2 times more also...haha. Coz not sure how much more I can pump as the opening of the tank has got a "spring door" and can't see how much more it can go. Not dangerous to let it overflow abit?

No problem one.. I tot we Singaporeans love to do that when pumping in JB? For optra sedan, can squeeze another 12ltrs after the autostop.. Need to play around with the biting point to "half clutch" the fuel pump. When you can see the fuel covers the black spring rubber door and start to spill out,it means it's filled to the brim.. Edited by Optramagnum

No problem one.. I tot we Singaporeans love to do that when pumping in JB? For optra sedan, can squeeze another 12ltrs after the autostop.. Need to play around with the biting point to "half clutch" the fuel pump. When you can see the fuel covers the black spring rubber door and start to spill out,it means it's filled to the brim..

Yes, true. I've tried squeezing another 12liters after the auto-stop point til it over flows, now I stop at 10 litres. Will that have any side-effects to the car in the long run?

Yes, true. I've tried squeezing another 12liters after the auto-stop point til it over flows, now I stop at 10 litres. Will that have any side-effects to the car in the long run?

Well. I've stop doing that locally. I think the fuel pump will be affected in long run. Thus far, no issue for me. The fuel tank is designed in that manner for a purpose. Nowadays, I will squeeze more abit to round up to the nearest $10. If I filled to the brim, the fuel Guage will only start to dip after 180km onwards, and 400km at halfway mark.

Yes. I realise that too. I only fill to the brim in M'sia. The fuel gauge only drops after I travelled more than 100km, but mine only around 320km plus at halfway. If i pump locally until the pump auto stop, it dips when it hit 60-65km and at half its around 200-215km plus. I usually pump 95 locally and 97 or 100 in M'sia.

↡ Advertisement