Dissapointed by Toyota Yaris Test Drive

Rickster

Hi people, just went down to Leng Kee for a test drive of the 1.5A Yaris on Sat. Below are my observations:

- Boot space is a joke! In fact, its the smallest boot space I've ever seen [crazy]

- Engine is SUPER NOISY & rough at >2500rpm, strange...In fact, my current 2006 KIA RIO 1.4M engine is way quieter at that RPM [crazy]

- Read that the 0-100KM sprint takes 9+ seconds. However, when i pedal to metal from 50km/hr on a straight stretch, there's no feeling of being pressed back to seat at all, despite car dropping gear and RPM at 3000. [:|]

However, the car's not all that bad, it has futuristic and good quality internal fittings/design and if u add the bodykit, its [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup] . The road noise insulation is also superb, just like a conti car [nod] . However, with the $52K price tag, think I'd go with the Swift 1.5.

Edited by Rickster
↡ Advertisement

Yes in performance I think it beats the Yaris flat as well, but have yet to test drive it. Intending to go test drive the Colt 1.5 and the Mazda 2 tis coming Sat.

Neutral Newbie

yah...enjoy the test drive...

M2 bootspace is definitely much better than Yaris and Suzuki Swift...build quality is also good...I'm driving M2 now,the pickup is slow but heard M2 SP is better

I'm quite in love with the chilli red Yaris that is in the Ubi showroom, only to find out it is a G-model, and having optional (extra $$$) bits to make it look nice. I like the build quality, it manages to sound more solid than the Vios sitting next to it. It also has some nice touches in the cabin. However being a bit more costly than the Vios and smaller to boot, maybe that is why it is not selling really well.

i wanted a manual car, and enquired if it was possible to get the equipment specification level as the G-model but that isn't possible. Oh well, maybe things would change in a few months time.

Having sat in the Swift as well as the Yaris I would say that the Yaris interior feels more expensive. The letdown is the cheap plastic they used on the plastic surrounds electric window switches. It looks like some plastic model airplane part when it isn't painted yet.

Neutral Newbie

waahh...bro, u hv a 2006 RIO n still looking for a new car? u buy cash is it.....or r u the type "weekend nothing to do go for test drive" kind of person...sly.gif

(edited)

Yes, my 2006 Rio is almost paid in full liao. 1 Yr loan onli [:p] and mainly becos i juz backside itchy wanna test dirve other hatches coz me & my gf are car lovers mar. [inlove]

Edited by Rickster

(edited)

hUH? [shocked] U mean the Toyota Yaris is using an inferior version of the standard VVT-i?

Edited by Rickster

I'm quite in love with the chilli red Yaris that is in the Ubi showroom, only to find out it is a G-model, and having optional (extra $$$) bits to make it look nice. I like the build quality, it manages to sound more solid than the Vios sitting next to it. It also has some nice touches in the cabin. However being a bit more costly than the Vios and smaller to boot, maybe that is why it is not selling really well.

i wanted a manual car, and enquired if it was possible to get the equipment specification level as the G-model but that isn't possible. Oh well, maybe things would change in a few months time.

Having sat in the Swift as well as the Yaris I would say that the Yaris interior feels more expensive. The letdown is the cheap plastic they used on the plastic surrounds electric window switches. It looks like some plastic model airplane part when it isn't painted yet.

Actually I believe if I can get to try out the manual version of the Yaris, it'll be very powerful..perfect blend of power n looks [thumbsup]

Nope. The real Toyota Yaris uses the Engine of the Year 2000 2NZ-FE. It is 1.3L displacement. It is the choice engine for it instead of a sucky 1.5L engine to sooth Singaporean obviously stupid minds that a bigger displacement means better.

The Sirion uses the Daihatsu version of it though they call it DVVT. Same thing but this engine is much better suited for something like the Yaris.

The Sirion is cheaper, have more parts (it is the P2 Myvi in MY) and of course more mods since it shares the same platform with the Myvi.

BTW, the sedan version of the Sirion in Toyota is called the Belta.

Edited by Genie47