PORSCHE CAYMAN VS SUBARU STI

Guitar77

Neutral Newbie

I know the price are far apart... but the performance close..haha

After friends and friends wanna get EVO out of my head... finally I found my next choice...

PORSCHE looks chio.... and powerful... I know status different...

Just wanna find out more about this PORSCHE and any bros here owns one and tell me about the feeling...keke

[sunny]

↡ Advertisement

Have you test drive the cars?

I would have choosen the Porsche over the Impreza as the latter too common liao, and give a "boy racer" impression. And as you said, different status (different price tag too). Porsche sure look more classy & chio. The STI thou got more ( and cheaper) after markets part, if modding is your thing.

But eventually its up to you.

Is there any basis for comparison? Completely different car categories. Possibly the only thing common to both is the bhp figures. If price is no object, what are you waiting for? The porsche is the one to go. Then throw in another $60+k to get a Trajet or similar as a support vehicle for those days you need to bring the entire extended family and the pets for an outing.

For the Porsche, plenty of parts available for you to mod as well, if you want to go along that route.

Edited by Crummytyre

Neutral Newbie

In my view, there is no comparison. Porsche is an entirely different class from Subaru. No offence to Sti owners out there, but Sti is commonly known as a poor man's sportscar, or an ah beng sportscar. [lipsrsealed]

Porsche, although (only) a Cayman, is just as much a great car as a status symbol. Porsche cars are probably no.1 in terms of handling (and from various reviews, Cayman handles even better than a 911). In terms of power and acceleration, 0-100 for Cayman is in the 6-ish secs region. I believe Sti is faster in that respect. Cayman also had after-market mods that you can think about, but it's going to cost a bomb. Think Techart.

However, look as it as a whole package -- Porsche exudes a subtle class with sublime curves coupled with performance worthy of a mid-range sports car. [thumbsup] As for the Sti, it is purely an ugly box with lots of power packed in, notoriously used by "man-boys"(probably with an inferiority complex) on the roads to bully family saloons or to impress young naive girls. [thumbsdown]

Price difference is about $130k though.

Once, when i was at the crowded taka taxi stand at night, there is a very beng looking black integra with loud exhaust, tinted windows and sub-woofer pounding with window winded down revving to a stop in front of the taxi stand [shakehead] Everybody was like looking at it.

Just then, a yellow Porsche 911, with the finesse engine note humming soooo deeply and smoothly, slithered up slowly just beside the beng chia and go past it. [laugh][laugh][laugh] Suddenly the show off guy in the beng chia looked like a fool to me!

On overall performance alone, the Porsche is a much better car.

Yes the STi will probably pickup a little bit faster than the Cayman on standing starts (not because it has a much more powerful engine, but only because of its higher power-to-weight ratio - it being a much lighter car), but over long haul stretches, the Porsche will just out-run the WRX (which will run out of breath much more quicker, due to its smaller displacement).

We can't really compare both, one is made for luxury the latter, by the gene of rally racing in a sedan form. They are manufactured for different core purposes.It all comes down to what you are looking for in a car.

I'll be happy with any competent car, be it STI, Lan Evo, Integra, Porsche 911, Mercedes AMG series etc.

But they all cater to different budgets and different tastes. There is no classification of appearing "stupid and beng", and other other "snobbish and proud".

They're just competent cars to be enjoyed by enthusiasts. Some excel in tracks, some rallying dirt tracks, some drags, some cruising....

sorry,i never drive both cars before.

but i think the 2 cars are too far apart in comparison.if i had the money,i will surely go for Porsche and no question asked.

maybe you can try to post at WRX forum and ask STi owners if they will get a Porsche over their STi.

one good thing about REX is that its got plenty of aftermarket performance parts to squeeze more power out.sly.gif

Porsche belongs to those classy sports car category.18-19" bling bling rims is enough to make the car stands out.thumbsup.gif

But sti better "value for money"...more power, more space, AWD, got real boot, easier to mod, better resale, bla bla....rolleyes.gif

since money is not an issue to him,why worry about "value for money"?tongue.gif

Neutral Newbie

Don't mean to be rude, but what is there to compare? Both cars are in different segments.

↡ Advertisement