VVTi & VTEC Engines Hard to Maintain?

Vit4wd

When we asked the C&C salesman about the Lancer's old engine (same engine as 2001 Lancer 1.6), he told us that the Lancer engine is a reliable workhorse and can be serviced at any workshops outside & workshops love the Lancer engine for its simplicity.

He added "... In comparison, the Toyota VVTi & Honda VTEC engines are more complicated and need special diagnostic equipment to tune and so is not advisable to serrvice at outside workshops as they do not have these special diagnostic equipment."

Is this true? I have seen many Toyota and Honda cars being serviced outside workshops too.

↡ Advertisement

Wonder if the SE was trying to B***S**t about it as Mitsubishi eng also have the VVTi equivalent --Mivec which is also variable valve timing. Unless he was referring to the normal eng.

Anyway, Vitec is more complicated as it involved multi stage valve lift.

[hur] Please tell the C&C salesman to get his facts right - and that having to resort to spouting such nonsense to sell Mitsubishi cars, does no good for the brand.

My previous car was a 2001 Lancer 1.6L CVT - yes, that engine was a reliabe workhorse but it's quite old in terms of tech.

Much prefer my current iVTEC engine [thumbsup]

Edited by Ml2spin

Neutral Newbie

wah lao...engine is mechanical...as long the mechanic is proficient in his mechanical knowledge, all engines can be serviced..the only problem is the software and those electronic equipment that will need diagnostic equipment...

if he toking about BM, merc, those conti cars that are equipped with high tech equipment or software to run their engine, will need the diagnostic equipment to service....if not how much high tech stuff u see in a jap car???

merc are the most problematic brand for outside mechanic..coz merc always come out with a specific diagnostic equipment for every new model they launch....they cant catch up and invest in every new equipment for every new model... [sweatdrop]

Most new cars need ECU diagnostics for full tuning and problem solving. Guess the Mitsubishi salesman really needs to be educated.

But that is not stopping full engine tunes outside. There is a difference bet normal servicing and engine tunes with diagnostic equipment, BTW.

Advice: don't buy from ignorant salesman. Better yet, don't ask salesman anything technical.

MBM does not have a problem keeping up with STAR diagnostics. Same applies for BMWs as well.

Edited by Vblaster_w211

When we asked the C&C salesman about the Lancer's old engine (same engine as 2001 Lancer 1.6), he told us that the Lancer engine is a reliable workhorse and can be serviced at any workshops outside & workshops love the Lancer engine for its simplicity.

He added "... In comparison, the Toyota VVTi & Honda VTEC engines are more complicated and need special diagnostic equipment to tune and so is not advisable to serrvice at outside workshops as they do not have these special diagnostic equipment."

Is this true? I have seen many Toyota and Honda cars being serviced outside workshops too.

that Bull is Sh!tting again.sly.gif

it is true, of course more complicated engine need more Hi-tech equipment to tune [thumbsup]

if lancer engine is as simple as he says then i also can service myself loh...

engines are engines, it's deadwood man.. inline4 or v6 will have specific ways of going abt to servicing it.. unless it's anything electronic concerning timing.. then of course those with the equipment can tune it correctly.

and it's not like sg has any shortage of tuners.

special diagnostic eq for a "simple" service would definitely have to be for bmws or mercs.. once somethign electronic fails, it's always a series of one after another of christmas lightings up in the dashboard.. then there' where the mechs will need special hi-tech diagnostics.

drop this SE, his knowledge is terrible and what's worst is to put down other car brands. and the funny thing is it's all CRAP!!!

Neutral Newbie

gotta do more with the proficiency of the mechanic lah. diagnostics can also be done outside as long as have the correct equipment.

seems like you trust your car salesmen alot.... mine told me that the brake fluid compartment was the windscreen cleaner.

never ask them technical stuff lah.

btw, have you decided on your change of car? [:)]

I guess it really depends on what needs to b done on the cars. If it's a major repair/tune-up, only the AD or bigger ws will have the diagnostic computers to to it.

But if it's a simple service or a non-electronic repair, most good ws can handle it.

The quality & honesty of the mech & ws is much more important. If he cannot do, he must say so b4 he start to dismantle your parts.

Dont after he strip many parts & tell u cannot do, cos he is stumped already. Now what u gonna do? Prob need a tow truck to tow to AD.

AD's LOVE to see this type of car coming in. They sure charge a bomb to settle the problem for u.

seems like you trust your car salesmen alot.... mine told me that the brake fluid compartment was the windscreen cleaner.

==============================

Like that I wil go to another car there & put water into the brake fluid reservoir & see what happens. [shocked]

Make the salesman so malu. [blush][blush][blush]

The Lancer engine is very much more simple compare to VVti and Vtec but it shouldn't be too much of a problem servicing outside. But if you are talking servicing like changing of oil, plugs, filter??? [rifle] the bugger. It can be done even at home.... [:p] No lah..it can be done at any workshop!!!

VVTi & Vtec difficult to maintain??? [hur][hur][hur]

Bro, that fellow is bullshxtting you lah [laugh][laugh][laugh][lipsrsealed]

Unless ECU thingy then require maybe the agent's assistance other than that, i don't see why normal workshop cannot re-solve [;)]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

Neutral Newbie

can u like slap the SE for me please? what non sense, servicing is the same for everycar, unless there's really a big issue (like mentioned above, ECU etc), workshops are able to handle vvti/vtec engines. if there's a workshop that claims they cannot service vvti/vtec engines, please share so we can steer away...

↡ Advertisement