Component speakers, no amp?

Bigtoothpick

On 12/22/2019 at 1:58 PM, rickylah said:

i not sure about steg now, went to listen in shop and steg has no clarity at all, very strong midbass thats it. fred n sound seems to be very biased, saying steg is better than everything else. 

Strike it off. Narrow down to what you like.

The other thing to note when listening to speakers is the amp that is powering it.

A high quality amp will make any speaker sound better.

The problem with buying car audio is never having the opportunity to listen to different components in exactly the same system and same car.

I listen to the sound boards at hifi shops and all the speakers sound bad to me.

I think the sound board is not like build like a speaker cabinet with damping materials inside.

:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

On 12/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, Jamesc said:

Strike it off. Narrow down to what you like.

The other thing to note when listening to speakers is the amp that is powering it.

A high quality amp will make any speaker sound better.

The problem with buying car audio is never having the opportunity to listen to different components in exactly the same system and same car.

I listen to the sound boards at hifi shops and all the speakers sound bad to me.

I think the sound board is not like build like a speaker cabinet with damping materials inside.

Listening to the board is literally a joke. The listening environment is so so different (open) . At most can pick up some clarity characteristic. Best is join the car audio guys and listen to their setup. 

On 12/22/2019 at 1:58 PM, rickylah said:

i not sure about steg now, went to listen in shop and steg has no clarity at all, very strong midbass thats it. fred n sound seems to be very biased, saying steg is better than everything else. 

STEG used to be very good, then it went through a period of "nothing-ness". Closed down or something. then it re-appeared ... As with many other brands or products, it seems the brand-name was sold off. Probably someone from the Far East :D

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Hosaybo said:

Listening to the board is literally a joke. The listening environment is so so different (open) . At most can pick up some clarity characteristic. Best is join the car audio guys and listen to their setup. 

That's very true. 

:D

4 hours ago, Othello said:

STEG used to be very good, then it went through a period of "nothing-ness". Closed down or something. then it re-appeared ... As with many other brands or products, it seems the brand-name was sold off. Probably someone from the Far East :D

So many brands going that way. 

Better to stick with a brand still in original owners hands. 

4 hours ago, Hosaybo said:

It's funny. 

If I was a car audio shop I will make the board sound even better. 

Then people hear sound so good they buy and when installed don't sound so good. 

Like all the restaurant ads the food looks so nice but in real life . . .

Especially fast food pics. 

The burger always look so big but only in the picture. 

Or my MIL with make up. 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Can you guys hear differences with a change in Head unit even if running the speakers thru amp?

Current HU is jvc, want to get a pioneer z5250. 

Can explain what sort of difference? Clarity? Thicker bass? 

Internal Moderator
24 minutes ago, rickylah said:

Can you guys hear differences with a change in Head unit even if running the speakers thru amp?

Current HU is jvc, want to get a pioneer z5250. 

Can explain what sort of difference? Clarity? Thicker bass? 

Usually better headunit will have built-in amp/processor that can help better manage the EQ. Of cuz it is not as good as an external amp, but it is definitely an upgrade.

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Usually better headunit will have built-in amp/processor that can help better manage the EQ. Of cuz it is not as good as an external amp, but it is definitely an upgrade.

Yeah I using an amp with dsp function, no subwoofer but upgraded component speakers. Tbh the bass portion is worst than my previous car stock car speakers which is cheap kind and no subwoofer.

Specs say 50hz to 20khz, but sounded so weak n unstable for anything below 80hz. So now I looking to add in a passive subwoofer at the boot. Or just change the Headunit first. 

Car shop say its my jvc Headunit lousy. But even with dsp amp, it doesn't seem to sound good. And just shake head at my Headunit. So asking first before putting in another $650 for pioneer Headunit. 

I'm familiar with SQ, I have play around with home stereo n home theater stuff for so many yrs but very unfamiliar with car audio stuff. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, rickylah said:

Yeah I using an amp with dsp function, no subwoofer but upgraded component speakers. Tbh the bass portion is worst than my previous car stock car speakers which is cheap kind and no subwoofer.

Specs say 50hz to 20khz, but sounded so weak n unstable for anything below 80hz. So now I looking to add in a passive subwoofer at the boot. Or just change the Headunit first. 

Car shop say its my jvc Headunit lousy. But even with dsp amp, it doesn't seem to sound good. And just shake head at my Headunit. So asking first before putting in another $650 for pioneer Headunit. 

I'm familiar with SQ, I have play around with home stereo n home theater stuff for so many yrs but very unfamiliar with car audio stuff. 

Erm, I think if you want bass then get a sub lor. The DSP you have can only help with bass to a certain extent only.

I will recommend an under seat woofer thou. It is compact and value for money. Unless you really want to boomz boomz boomz, then maybe a 12" subwoofer. Haha.

Not that i want a lot bass, but this speakers really missing almost all the bass.

Most 6" Bookshelf speakers can easily produce 45hz, 50hz with ease and I'm satisfied with 45hz. But my newly installed speakers really can give the 50hz any feel. I'm thinking if it's really the Headunit problem or the speakers. 

If speaker problem, easy to just add sub. If Headunit problem will solve this 50hz to 80hz issue then I change the Headunit. Just want to prioritise which one first with my limited budget. 

56 minutes ago, rickylah said:

Not that i want a lot bass, but this speakers really missing almost all the bass.

Most 6" Bookshelf speakers can easily produce 45hz, 50hz with ease and I'm satisfied with 45hz. But my newly installed speakers really can give the 50hz any feel. I'm thinking if it's really the Headunit problem or the speakers. 

If speaker problem, easy to just add sub. If Headunit problem will solve this 50hz to 80hz issue then I change the Headunit. Just want to prioritise which one first with my limited budget. 

Whats your budget? You ask a lot but we dun even know how much you willing to spend.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:47 PM, RogerNg_185295 said:

Whats your budget? You ask a lot but we dun even know how much you willing to spend.

Within $1500 to settle sub and a hu. Gt recommendation? 

Sharing on the 2 I’m using now. 
For me Helix is bright. Wil need a sub to make sound more full for some pple. 

for hertz its mellow but it’s powerful. the louder u go the better the sound. For this one it shd satisfy without need of another sub. 

• Praise 2

45 minutes ago, Scholesy said:

Sharing on the 2 I’m using now. 
For me Helix is bright. Wil need a sub to make sound more full for some pple. 

for hertz its mellow but it’s powerful. the louder u go the better the sound. For this one it shd satisfy without need of another sub. 

Yup this Hertz is very mellow and have very good bass.

Which Helix speakers are you using now?

B62C?

2 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Yup this Hertz is very mellow and have very good bass.

Which Helix speakers are you using now?

B62C?

B62c.2 

I thk it’s the newer version. Did 2 yrs back. 

my hertz is hsk165. 🙂

but my favourite is still focal 😛

• Praise 2

22 minutes ago, Scholesy said:

B62c.2 

I thk it’s the newer version. Did 2 yrs back. 

my hertz is hsk165. 🙂

but my favourite is still focal 😛

The B62C is the best selling Helix speakers ever and now is version 3 B62C.3.

The HSK165 is at least 2 levels higher than the B62c.2 and is far more refined.

The price should be much higher too.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1