Component speakers, no amp?

Bigtoothpick

Neutral Newbie
On 4/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, Jamesc said:

That's exactly right.

If people didn't want to spend a lot just change the speakers.

The head unit can drive these speakers without an amp.

The Hertz Uno K165 has a very high sensitivity of 93.5

and the Helix F63C has 3 Ohms impedance making the amp drive it with more power.

People can consider these easy to drive speakers for a simple upgrade.

image.png.11c071fbf245130648fee228810f635b.pngimage.png.400567331d11c4b51f4322b9f3713d8b.png  

I had finished reading this thread. A lot of information. Thanks guy.

I am driving an entry level car without rear speaker. I intend to install component speakers at my front door and an active subwoofer under my car seat (at a later time). Music that I listen are mostly english and chinese pop songs. Sometimes will listen to old school techno music.

Due to my low budget of $300. Hertz K165 is over my budget. I shortlisted Helix F62C and Hertz DSK 165.3. I am using pioneer z5250bt HU. Which component speakers would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Haizi
  • Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Haizi said:

I am driving an entry level car without rear speaker. I intend to install component speakers at my front door and an active subwoofer under my car seat (at a later time). Music that I listen are mostly english and chinese pop songs. Sometimes will listen to old school techno music.

Due to my low budget of $300. Hertz K165 is over my budget. I shortlisted Helix F62C and Hertz DSK 165.3. I am using pioneer z5250bt HU. Which component speakers would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Very simple

Do you like sharp and bright or warm sounds?

If you like sharp and bright go for Hertz.

If you like warm and more neutral go for Helix.

If you like really warm then go for Morel Maximo.

:grin:

6 hours ago, Haizi said:

Thanks in advance.

Since you are using pioneer z5250bt you can go active instead of getting the under seat sub next time.

Get a cheap $100 4 channel Pioneer amp and throw away the crossover and hook up 1 channel from the amp to each of the 2 woofer and 2 tweeters.

This will give you a really great sound from the tightest of budgets.

image.thumb.png.df879090e0a04b318feb20d51fd94d0a.pnghttps://sg.carousell.com/p/pioneer-520watts-4-channel-bridgeable-amplifier-model-gm-a4704-1028508486/?t-id=4609644_1599381978283&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_filter_condition=NEW&t-referrer_filter_price_max=200&t-referrer_request_id=F0SFX_GdA6ojK5fD&t-referrer_search_query=car amplifier&t-referrer_sort_by=popular

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
19 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Very simple

Do you like sharp and bright or warm sounds?

If you like sharp and bright go for Hertz.

If you like warm and more neutral go for Helix.

If you like really warm then go for Morel Maximo.

Look like I will go for Helix F 62C with my budget.

Thanks Jamesc 👍

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
17 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Since you are using pioneer z5250bt you can go active instead of getting the under seat sub next time.

Get a cheap $100 4 channel Pioneer amp and throw away the crossover and hook up 1 channel from the amp to each of the 2 woofer and 2 tweeters.

This will give you a really great sound from the tightest of budgets.

image.thumb.png.df879090e0a04b318feb20d51fd94d0a.pnghttps://sg.carousell.com/p/pioneer-520watts-4-channel-bridgeable-amplifier-model-gm-a4704-1028508486/?t-id=4609644_1599381978283&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_filter_condition=NEW&t-referrer_filter_price_max=200&t-referrer_request_id=F0SFX_GdA6ojK5fD&t-referrer_search_query=car amplifier&t-referrer_sort_by=popular

Sound great. Once again thanks Jamesc for your valuable advise 🤞

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro & sis, I’m new to car sound system but I would like to spend a little to upgrade my stock sound quality. Can someone help and advise me on the following questions:

1) is Pioneer 130DA under seat active subwoofer good or got better recommendations? 

2) do I need to change both front & back speakers ? And how will I know if the size fits ? Any good recommendations?

3) if buying online, will shops be willing to do the installation for me ? What’s the estm charges ? 

4) is it encouraged to do the sound proofing since I got all 4 doors dismantled ? 

5) is it ok to keep my stock Elantra HU since it aldy comes with ApplePlay 

6) will a small budget of $500 be enough (w/o sound proofing) 

Thanks in advance for any inputs 🙂

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
17 minutes ago, Iswift said:

Hi bro & sis, I’m new to car sound system but I would like to spend a little to upgrade my stock sound quality. Can someone help and advise me on the following questions:

1) is Pioneer 130DA under seat active subwoofer good or got better recommendations? 

2) do I need to change both front & back speakers ? And how will I know if the size fits ? Any good recommendations?

3) if buying online, will shops be willing to do the installation for me ? What’s the estm charges ? 

4) is it encouraged to do the sound proofing since I got all 4 doors dismantled ? 

My take for you is this.

- Upgrade your stock speaker to component speaker. If you only want yourself to enjoy, change front will do. your passenger will not thank you for the crisp music one. haha.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-R165-S-6-5-Inch-Component-Speaker/dp/B008K2ENIA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=2+way+component+speaker&qid=1606800963&sr=8-3

- If you want to have Subwoofer, then you need to have an amp also. depend on what kind of music you are listening also. if you are not those hardcore ones, yeah under seat woofer is good enough.

- Can consider buy online, but warranty is one issue. If you buy thur a shop, chances are they will cover the warranty part also. electronics parts hard to say one.

- Installation will depend on the complexity and the material, if you have an amp, they will need to ask where you wanna install. If you want it at the boot, then they need longer wire, then cost will be higher. installation of a front speaker will start around $60 onwards. 

- If can, keep your stock HU. I am sure it will helps to preserve the resale value also!

- $500 should be a bit hard.

- Speaker - $90 - https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-R165-S-6-5-Inch-Component-Speaker/dp/B008K2ENIA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=2+way+component+speaker&qid=1606800963&sr=8-3

- Amp - $90 -https://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-4-Channel-Full-Range-Amplifier-AMP1604/dp/B07Q28CNSN/ref=sr_1_5?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Car+Amplifiers&qid=1606801379&s=car&sr=1-5&ts_id=898116

- Woofer - $170 - https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-WX120A-Powerful-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B01FKW6IRG/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=Under-Seat+Compact+Subwoofer&qid=1606801471&s=electronics&sr=1-25

- Installtion - $150 +/-

You won't have budget for sound proofing.

My first audio mod is actually sound proofing. It makes my stock speaker sound so much better. and I like to slam my door after installing the the mat. hahah. that's my old company van to be said. 😂

2 hours ago, Iswift said:

No need to add rear speakers, no need to soundproof rear doors, no need to add amp and no need to change head unit.

Just add front component speakers and soundproof front doors.

:D

Can try this speakers Helix F62C without an amp.

Its a 3 Ohm speaker so it will get a bit more power out of your head unit.

z.thumb.jpg.cf20e360b6f82d7376b3cde1130c6e48.jpg

And if you have an extra $79.90 then can add this amp but not necessary lah.

image.thumb.png.763dca2dc039ac7049bfef801f1d08ba.png

7 hours ago, Iswift said:

• Praise 2

quick check, i'm changing a new set of speakers this week, anyone knows normally the cross-over, the small box where do they install it

8 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

quick check, i'm changing a new set of speakers this week, anyone knows normally the cross-over, the small box where do they install it

Inside the door panel.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:38 PM, Jamesc said:

Head unit to speakers no amp

Going for this combination except using Morel Virtus component speakers. I want a simple setup (i.e. 2-way active, no need for active sub) since it is a small car. So I suppose the 80PRS can run them directly (4 x 50w) and then I will run the TA function to tune it. 

Any installer that will allow me to bring my own cables? I'm hoping to avoid paying for branded/over-priced cabling. 

↡ Advertisement