The Notorious Roundabouts - Your Views

J_c_boy

Good evening, fellow brothers [wave]

Personally I have found roundabouts to be potential accident hotspots. Often do we see cars in the inner lanes swerving abruptly into the outer ones to exit the circle. As the impatient driver does his hazardous stunt, fellow drivers in the slower outer lanes have to jam brake to avoid any catastrophic event. However, in event of an actual accident when a car in the outer lane knocks against the rear and/or side of the exiting car i.e. the car at fault, how can the victim claim his damages in turn? What's your take on this matter?

↡ Advertisement

The best way is to anticipate danger.Defensive driving will help.

No point arguing who's at fault,unless the other arty want to admit black n white.

Chances are 50/50

I agree, roundabout seems to have a lot of accidents waiting to happen. The one at Suntec oso another headache...buses plying their route, taxis entering and exiting taxi stand, cars going in and out of carpark, etc... [sweatdrop]

The way u had describe is more like Notorious Driver actually.

Would u rather have traffic lights or roundabouts?

I think the accident rate on roundabouts is low lah. Even at traffic lights u will see accidents happen what.

It's not the car at fault...not the environment....but the human behind the wheel.

roundabouts facilitate traffic flow more than traffic lights IMO.. [;)]

but of cos to some newbies on the road, it can be pretty tricky.. cos there is no guidance from anything, their judgements are not that good yet.. [nod][nod]

Actually, I don't believe the driving schools teach the students on to handle roundabouts. Otherwise, it's supposed to be quite efficient!

my thoughts are that roundabouts are useful only where traffic volume is low ... no need to invest $$ for traffic lights .. but for higher volume areas, a traffic light is still required. Lights are still a more positive approach to either move or stop. No two ways about it.

The roundabout near newton circus is a potential accident hotspot.

I think it will be complicated when accident occurs. [sweatdrop]

newton circus still not so bad.... got traffic light to moderate....

try the 2 roundabt @ Tuas, especially the one outside Sony.... in the morning.... big truck, bus, JB Bikers, KS sillyporean [laugh]

have lar.. BBDC does it but it's a small one at hillview...

Frankly, for roundabout, the proper way to use it is to position your car in the correct lane before you enter the roundabout.

But seems like people only do it when they are in it. [:/]

I didn't know I have roundabout.. although I do have the curve [laugh]

anyway, back to serious topic, I find that bikes are the most dangerous coz when they cut lane, it's quite arupt and you have minimum time to react.

For cars, at least there's tell-tale signs such as drivers checking blindspot or head of car edging over...

Roundabout provide the most efficient way to traffic flow without cost of adding/maintaining traffic lights. It provide flow as long as all follow by the rule without unnecessary stop. But it is bad to roads that have so-called peak time heavy flow where stream of one direction come with non-stop(that's why Newton add in traffic lights).

With encouragement of more car ownership with release of more COE, the roundabout seems dated...