E36 316I - Good choice?

Paikia_rav

I'm toying with the idea of getting my all time favourite beemer model E36 since i sold my RAV4.

Anyone had any knowledge on this car? I saw a '93 model 316i manual, and 2 newly renewed COE '96 316iA (manual and auto)

Is this a good investment or am I heading for more trouble?

Else, I might just settle for a AE101. Trustworthy engine, comfy ride, and plenty of spare parts.

↡ Advertisement

IMHO, you will prob vomit blood due to the lack of power unless you are those that dun mind a leisure drive.

Its a good car with excellent chassis (provided that the car you buy has not gone thru a serious accident before). RWD provides excellent handling. If possible, get the manual model and you would have lesser power lost plus a little fun factor.

Dun expect sideway action thou cos the chassis is too competent to have any problem from the puny engine output.

Heck...after all its a BMW....keep it well and maintain it...it is still a very good car to drive. Be prepare for repairs here and there from time to time especially 6 months after you take delivery....sometime you will visit the doctor every week. That is what happen to me when I bought the E34 a couple of years back...but after "investment"....the car has served me faithfully without any incidents.

Hmm.... but I is its easy for a engine rebuild up North? Or even in local workshops?

I did drove my friend's 316 and 520 before and I must agree the power is rather disappointing. But of course the chassis is well built. German technology, the engine actually should be tough enough to last?

I recently sold my E36 318i. Comfort ride and looks good. Extreme lack of power and high consumption(6km/L). Both my 316i and 318i did not stay in my hands for more than a year.

buy the 316 E36 and drop in a 320I Twin Vanos Engine. [thumbsup]

well, just joking. [laugh]

316 is rather underpowered due to heavy chassis but very stable at high speed.

Neutral Newbie

BMW parts are pretty expensive so be prepared to spend alot when maintanance needs to be done. Also like the others said, the 1.6 is underpowered, get the 1.8 at least if possible.

A jap car would really be a whole lot more cheaper to own, but you will never get the same driving and ownership satisfaction. Good luck in your choice [;)]

Neutral Newbie
I'm toying with the idea of getting my all time favourite beemer model E36 since i sold my RAV4.

Anyone had any knowledge on this car? I saw a '93 model 316i manual, and 2 newly renewed COE '96 316iA (manual and auto)

Is this a good investment or am I heading for more trouble?

Else, I might just settle for a AE101. Trustworthy engine, comfy ride, and plenty of spare parts.

go for the 101......... [thumbsup]

IMHO, you will prob vomit blood due to the lack of power unless you are those that dun mind a leisure drive.

Its a good car with excellent chassis (provided that the car you buy has not gone thru a serious accident before). RWD provides excellent handling. If possible, get the manual model and you would have lesser power lost plus a little fun factor.

Dun expect sideway action thou cos the chassis is too competent to have any problem from the puny engine output.

Heck...after all its a BMW....keep it well and maintain it...it is still a very good car to drive. Be prepare for repairs here and there from time to time especially 6 months after you take delivery....sometime you will visit the doctor every week. That is what happen to me when I bought the E34 a couple of years back...but after "investment"....the car has served me faithfully without any incidents.

Define the lack of power?

how is the E36 compared to a 1.6L Jap car...lets say Lancer GLX?

im getting my licence now, cant wait to drive the car

If compare to Lancer, it is sibei chia lat. Honestly, i would advised against getting 316 (not even a E30). In addition, unless u r a enthusiast of E36, don't buy. Otherwise, u would not know how to properly take care of it. Lastly, if die die must buy E36, buy 318 wif M43B18.

he searched for the appropriate thread to post.

I would advise against getting an old continental car unless you are crazy abt that make and model and willing to spend time and money taking care of it.

Test drive both to derive your own definition. Lack of power is really subjective between drivers to drivers.

Since its your first car, you must decide if you like to spend time and money in the workshop and gain experience from there. Or if you are the type that hates spending time / money on a car and expect it to be problem free till the day you scrap.

Also if u were to buy a old car, be prepared with ready cash to repair and replace so you won't feel overwhelmed when something major needs to be worked on. My friend traded in his E36 for a E46. The E36 had around 3-5K worth of stuff waiting to repair and replace.

Good luck!

My E36 316i couldn't climb the slope on the U turn back to Scotts Rd, just after Tanglin Club. I had to roll back and pick up momentum to clear it. Then it was only a 6 yr old well maintained car. The car is too heavy for the engine, but the built is definitely great. Dump in a 12" sub and the sound will be solid, unlike the Lancer which require a lot of padding to stop rattling.

↡ Advertisement