Daihatsu Copen

Tzehou

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

Was thinking of getting this ride to replace my 1 year old MR-S. What do you guys think of this car? Went to test drive it today at BHP. Found it not bad for it's performance but a bit tight for the interior.

Only concern it's the spare parts availablity and servicing. Does anyone knows where can I purchase the spare parts for this car and which place is good to go for servicing for a car like this?

Lastly, do any of you guys know any local Copen car forum or English Copen car forums? Doing a search on Google mostly gave me Tawian and Japanese car forums for Copen. This only English language one is the one from the UK but it quite outdated.

Thanks to all for your kind responds. Hope I can meet up a few local Copen owners here in this fourm.

Cheers!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Haaaa... thats a qns that also leaves my dad and mom scratching their heads too. Well... cos I think the Copen is cute?

Actually, think its more fuel efficent when driving the Copen bah since it is only 660cc.

Edited by Tzehou

First of all, Copen has reach singapore not long ago...but saw a few on the road already. Think it takes some time for some feedback. The copen is not bad in-line 4 for a 660cc but if you own a MRS yourself why still change it for another smaller 2 seater? Surely the power and size will be different..

There are some reviews going around.

It is 660cc but has a turbo. Most of the time must engage the turbo before the engine can pickup. So not really that good FC.

Also it haas an auto retractable top that really weighs down the car. Hence the power-to-weight ratio is not as good.

Just repeating what I read... Don't have 1st hand experience.....

I think if you are comparing the Copen to MR-S in terms of performance... There's really no fight. MR-S wins hands down.

But personally I would go for the new MX-5... It also has a auto retractable top... Very cool sia... But still has the power to push the car.

I think the savings on the road tax will make up the fuel cost. Personally I'll go for RX-8.....Only issue is the engine maintenance, but with quite on the road, it maybe easier to service.

IMHO, the Copen is really suitable as a second car. As someone else has pointed out, the turbo is necessary for the car to pick up at a decent rate. I don't believe you will enjoy the Copen as much as you will in your MR-S in terms of driving experience.

Neutral Newbie

First of all, I a great thanks to all whom has replied to this post. Yeah... I have to admit that the Copen does not have the same power of my current MR-S. But I like it due to:

1. Cheaper Rd Tax

2. More Fuel Saving

3. Still I can enjoy a convertible

4. Metal folding roof - security

5. Easier to wash my car now - small

6. Cute factor

Afraid of:

1. Spare Parts replacements

2. No additional support group locally

3. Turbo maintanence/ wear & tear

Cons:

1. Why must it be a Daihatsu badge? If only it is a Toyota or Honda, people would think differently about this car liaoz. I guess image counts.

2. 1.3l version is not available in Sg even through PI

3. Only front 2 wheels are using disc brakes

4. Front Wheel Drive

Was in fact hopping my post here could enable me to find another Copen owner or two and ask them for their feedback before I commence on my purchase of this tiny car. The other car I'm looking at is the much cheaper Subaru R1 2 Door.

Neutral Newbie

The car is selling less than $70k for the higher end models. Not too sure about the OMV though. Think should be around $20k. PI cars usually have higher OMV. Like my MR-S, its already about $29k for my OMV.

Toyota owns Daihatsu, so the egnine shd be reliable.

If you get your Copen from reliable PIs who have been around for a long time, eg. Cheng Yong Credit, Vin Car etc., you shd be safe in terms of spare parts & after sales support.

I think there is a Vin Car sales person in this forum. Cannot rememeber his nick.

Neutral Newbie

Haaaa... You got a very gd point there bro.

I guess branding counts alot when we factor in the cost involved.

Neutral Newbie

Yup, $60k either got no COE which is usually the case, or you need to take full loan at super high interest rate of 4.5% [hur]

Found the best price to be at $65k with confirm COE bidding. Wait 2 to 3 months for new stocks. U interested to buy it together? Heee... [sly]

↡ Advertisement